Company: Civic Builders
Location: New York City, NY
Job Function: Lending/Loan Operations
ABOUT THE ORGANIZATION:
Civic Builders, Inc. transforms children’s lives and revitalizes communities by building inspirational schools for students in underserved neighborhoods. Dedicated to giving every child the chance to attend a great school, Civic Builders partners with the nation’s best educators to create public charter school buildings for students in communities where the need is greatest.
Since 2002, Civic Builders has built inspiring, bright, and modern buildings that give its partner schools cost effective, customized educational space. In 2017, Civic Builders expanded its business to include direct lending to non-profit charter schools and affiliates nationwide. To date, the Facilities Investment Fund has invested $141M in high-quality facilities projects.
Civic Builders schools give underserved students—82% of students at Civic Builders schools live in poverty and 96% are minorities—the opportunity to excel. In addition, the success these students achieve goes beyond the classroom, as Civic Builders schools become anchors for the low-income, underserved neighborhoods where they are located. Civic Builders schools revitalize communities by providing beautiful spaces where generations of students can learn and where communities come together to support their children’s futures.
Commitment to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
Civic Builders believes that diversity, in all its forms, enriches society and our organization. Because we support students in the highest need neighborhoods, we have a particular charge to understand our schools and their communities. When our staff, board, and partners reflect, value, and embrace the voices and perspectives of those most impacted by what we do, we have a deeper understanding and connection to their needs and more effectively achieve our aspiration of improving lives, revitalizing communities, and helping children receive the education they deserve.
ABOUT THE POSITION:
Civic Builders is seeking an ambitious, self-aware, execution-oriented emerging leader eager to deepen a career in mission-driven community development lending. The Loan Officer will report to the Senior Director in support of Civic Builders’ national charter school lending platforms and will have frequent opportunities to work alongside the SVP of Corporate Development, VP of Lending, and VP of Capital Solutions.
Day to day, the Loan Officer will work closely with internal and external stakeholders on the full cycle of activities related to real estate lending including origination, underwriting, technical assistance, and closing loans. The Loan Officer may also support the Lending Team on strategic projects, process improvement efforts, and/or other corporate initiatives as needed.
Candidates are expected to bring experience with the following types of work that would allow them to operate independently in their role with limited coaching from senior leadership within six months:
- Lead the underwriting of commercial real estate investments.
- Experience leading investments through due diligence, credit underwriting, credit/investment committee approval, and closing processes OR experience supporting investments through the same process, demonstrating readiness to move into a leadership role.
- Within their first year, Loan Officers should independently handle intercreditor negotiations, review of real estate contracts and/or leases in addition to the standard financial analysis and investment due diligence processes.
- Though not required, experience with originations, technical assistance, and/or asset management are considered strong transferable skills.
- Display a creative, solutions-oriented outlook on deal structuring and credit.
- Think creatively about non-traditional deal structuring options to balance unmitigated credit challenges.
- Work collaboratively with senior leadership to support mission-oriented goals while maintaining appropriate lending boundaries.
- Clearly communicate complex terms and structures to audiences with a range of technical expertise both verbally and in writing.
- Candidates should be able to craft a clear and compelling narrative that details the potential investment’s strengths, weaknesses, and mitigating factors while highlighting programmatic alignment within the detailed credit memo
- Candidates should feel comfortable presenting investment memos and recommendations to senior stakeholders to secure investment authorization
- Maintain a high threshold for providing a positive customer service experience.
- Build a positive and professional relationship with prospective borrowers, stakeholders, partner organizations, and third-party service providers that will outlast any individual transaction engagement
- Meaningfully contribute to the management and operations of one or more of Civic Builders’ lending programs.
- Support or lead weekly program meetings
- Develop and contribute presentation-ready content for periodic stakeholder and reporting updates
- Participate in ongoing efforts to establish and/or improve internal processes
- Bring an entrepreneurial energy and open-minded perspective to your work
Candidates should bring the following background, skills, and attributes:
- Lending Experience: 5+ years of relevant experience with credit underwriting for direct, cash-flow based investment/lending, preferably in the community development, charter school, US public finance or other similar sector.
- Relationship Building: Ability to build strong and effective relationships with a variety of stakeholders with diverse experiences and backgrounds.
- Mission Orientation: Passionate about Civic Builders’ mission to support the provision of equitable access to education.
- Entrepreneurial Outlook: Thrive in a high-growth, fast-paced environment, with the ability to be flexible and navigate ambiguous situations.
- Education: Bachelor’s degree required. MBA, similar advanced degree or certification a plus.
LOCATION AND TRAVEL:
- New York, NY: The Loan Officer is expected to work in the office a minimum of two days per week.
- Travel to support originations and underwriting work, contribute to new market development, and to represent Civic Builders at national conferences is required.
Compensation and Benefits
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS:
Starting compensation will range between $110,000 and $125,000 and include comprehensive benefits.
How to Apply
Civic Builders has engaged PeopleEd to conduct the search for this role. Please submit resume and cover letter with the subject line “Civic Builders Loan Officer Application” to: email@example.com. Resumes submitted without a cover letter may not be considered. Cover letters should address your interest in working in a small and growing lending business focused on supporting the expansion of charter schools nationwide. Application review will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.