Company: Avivar Capital
Locations: Los Angeles, CA; Remote, All
Job Function: Research and Analytics
Avivar Capital (Avivar) is a US-based, SEC-registered investment advisor focused exclusively on assisting institutional, public, and private clients in the design, development and execution of impact investing strategies, portfolios and funds that generate social and/or environmental benefit alongside a financial return. The firm’s professionals bring extensive experience to serve as investment strategists, deal and fund structurers, asset managers, due diligence providers, coaches, trainers, market researchers, facilitators, and evaluators. Avivar’s clients include some of the country’s largest and most innovative impact investors, committed to promoting positive change in impact areas such as health equity and wellness, education, financial inclusion, poverty alleviation, small and growth business development, racial equity, gender equity, climate justice, and environmental sustainability.
Note: Interested applicants must be a US citizen and/or be legally authorized to work and reside in the United States.
The Impact Investment Research Consultant – Contractor (IIRC-C) position aims to support Avivar in 1) completing comprehensive landscape scans and research projects across industry sectors (e.g. real estate, affordable housing, small and growth business development, education and workforce development, blockchain & decentralized systems, etc.), themes (e.g., employee ownership, climate justice, health equity, etc.) and geographies (urban, rural and tribal areas); 2) using research results to derive insights that can support clients in the design and execution of impact investment strategies, including the identification of potential impact investment opportunities, co-investors, and strategic allies; and 3) continuing to build out Avivar’s internal research capabilities, including developing new frameworks and methodologies, as needed.
The IIRC-C will support the design and execution of domestically-focused (i.e., US-based) research projects that support investors as well as entrepreneurs and other ecosystem partners in better understanding the role of impact investments in addressing racial and equity gaps in access to capital, networks, and other resources for historically marginalized populations, including underrepresented entrepreneurs, income-constrained communities, etc. The IIRC-C will also support cultivation of innovative financing strategies and structures that can drive impact investment capital in ways that help to close those gaps. As a result, the IIRC-C should have an understanding of how different assets classes (e.g., grants, guarantees, debt and equity investments, etc.) and financing vehicles can be deployed to reduce barriers in access and drive more healthy, equitable and vibrant communities.
The IIRC-C will report to Avivar’s Director of the Strategic Advisory Services Group and work closely with the firm Managing Partners and Team.
The IIRC-C must have knowledge of, and demonstrable ability to perform action-oriented research and analysis through prior experience in impact investing, community development, government, and/or policy research settings. Their record should also demonstrate the ability to manage and synthesize data across multiple sources, experience, and awareness of trends in the impact investing sector, and the ability to provide intellectual leadership for impact investing research. Other key qualifications include strong project management and leadership skills, independent judgment to manage multiple priorities effectively and set project standards, a commitment to training and mentoring of junior professionals, and experience in field building.
- Support the design and execution of impact investment strategies for Avivar and its clients.
- Conduct qualitative and quantitative data collection, analysis, and presentation activities on specific impact issue areas that can inform impact investing strategies, including but not limited to:
- Research Design & Development: Based on client mandates, lead the design and development of research workplans and methodologies.
- Primary Research: Lead stakeholder interviews, focus groups, and surveys, including design of interview guides, surveys, and other primary research tools, methods, and analyses.
- Secondary Research: Lead and conduct desktop research and literature reviews by obtaining, compiling, and synthesizing diverse public and private data sources.
- Data Collection & Analysis: Based on information gathered through primary and secondary research, perform in-depth quantitative and qualitative analyses to distill insights, including summarizing information in tables, graphs, charts, and other data visualization formats to convey complex information in a simple form.
- Reports: Prepare high-quality reports in Microsoft Office (primarily Power Point and Word) distilling insights and summarizing key findings and recommendations.
- Support proposal development, as needed, by helping to scope research projects.
- Support client relationships, including working with and presenting directly to clients and supporting communications with Investment Committees, CIO/CFO of client institutions, outside advisors, etc., as needed.
- Mentor the firm’s analysts in developing and executing workplans and presentation materials and participating in the presentation of deliverables to clients and stakeholders.
- Bachelor’s Degree required, graduate degree or comparable designation in finance, social sciences, economics, political sciences, law, or related fields is preferred.
- Minimum of 5 years of investment, strategic consulting and/or community development research experience required.
- Strong research, data analysis, strategic thinking, and critical thinking experience.
- Demonstrable experience in facilitating interviews and focus groups to surface key insights from stakeholders.
- Exceptional ability to collect, manage, and manipulate complex datasets using a variety of tools and sources.
- Strong familiarity with software solutions for data collection, analysis, and reporting/visualization.
- Exceptional ability to communicate insights clearly and effectively in English, both orally and in writing.
- Experience or familiarity with impact investing preferred, including nonprofit and philanthropic organizations as well as startup ecosystems.
- Strong analytical skills and demonstrated ability to synthesize large amounts of information into clear, actionable insights.
- Ability to exercise independent decision-making regarding progression of research and methodologies.
- Ability to maintain the highest standards of methodological rigor.
- Strong project management skills.
- Advanced Microsoft Power Point, Word, and Excel skills and high proficiency with Outlook and SharePoint.
- Ability to operate effectively as a member of a multi-disciplinary team.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, deadline-focused environment.
- Ability to think and work independently with minimal supervision.
- Ability to take initiative and work proactively.
- Exceptional attention to detail and highly organized.
- Exceptional ability to multitask.
Two writing samples will be required as part of the interview process for this position. Samples will be requested from candidates considered for hire. Pieces should demonstrate use of primary/secondary research tools and methods to support key findings and recommendations are strongly preferred. Evidence of ability to use data visualization tools is also helpful.
Compensation and Benefits
Compensation will be determined based on Contractor’s experience and project specifications.
How to Apply
To apply, please visit Avivar Capital’s Career page here.