Company: Grow America (formerly NDC)
Location: New York, NY
Job Function: Finance
Grow America, one of the oldest national non‐profit community and economic development organizations in the country, seeks qualified applicants for the position of Controller of Small Business Lending. Grow America, formerly National Development Council, was founded in 1969 with a mission of increasing the flow of capital for investment, jobs and community development to underserved urban and rural areas across the country. For additional information about Grow America, please visit http://www.growamerica.org.
The Controller’s responsibilities will include working with a team of professionals to ensure quarterly and year end reporting is complete, accurate, and timely. Those responsibilities include preparing and reviewing internal accounting records and schedules, reviewing detailed loan performance schedules, and communicating with external stakeholders. The Controller will also provide operating support to the small business lending team members and updates to the board of directors. The Controller will report directly to the CFO.
The position will be located in Grow America’s New York City office and will involve occasional travel to attend internal meetings of staff and management.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Oversee all financial reporting and annual audits for multiple small business lending entities,
- Prepare, review, and maintain detailed audit schedules for general ledger accounts such as loans receivables, allowance for loan losses, deferred revenues, capitalized costs, other receivables, conditional grants, and net assets,
- Review and approve accounting entries to the general ledger to ensure completeness and accuracy of all financial transactions in accordance with GAAP,
- Ensure financial and regulatory compliance with creditors as well as with SBA regulators and other federal agencies,
- Assist small business lending team on all loan related matters,
- Assist management with capital raising,
- Prepare additional qualitative and quantitative reports as required by external stakeholders or management,
- Work collaboratively with internal stakeholders and cross‐functional partners to create strong processes, tools, and systems.
Experience and Education
The prospective candidate should have an undergraduate or advanced degree in finance and accounting, with a minimum of 7‐10 years of experience in financial reporting, small business lending administration, auditing, and nonprofit accounting.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- CPA with prior audit experience, as financial statement preparer or as auditor, required,
- Not-for-profit accounting a plus,
- Experience with NetSuite a plus,
- Prior CDFI experience a plus,
- Advanced knowledge of Excel with experience creating ad‐hoc reports for management,
- Experience with financial lending products and loan processing or servicing,
- A self‐starter with the ability to work effectively in a team environment as well as with external stakeholders,
- Strong analytical, time management and organizational skills as well as a high level of attention to detail,
- Effective written and verbal communication skills,
- Impeccable personal integrity and ability to maintain confidential financial information.
Compensation and Benefits
Competitive salary commensurate with experience. The salary range is $115,000 to $135,000. Comprehensive benefits package. Grow America is an Equal Opportunity employer.
How to Apply
Interested applicants should submit a cover letter and resume to: HR@growamerica.org