Community Development Loan Officer
Company: New Jersey Community Capital
Location: NEW BRUNSWICK, NJ
Job Function: Lending/Loan Operations
New Jersey Community Capital (NJCC) is a financial organization with a mission to create thriving communities through strategic investments and knowledge. Fulfilling the needs and improving the quality of life of thousands of individuals and families would not be possible without our talented and diverse staff and motivating environment.
Passionate about groundbreaking community development and mission-driven leadership in a growing organization? Interested in cutting-edge community development, neighborhood revitalization, and developing mission-driven strategies? If so, we want to talk to you!
The Community Development Loan Officer is primarily responsible for originating, underwriting, closing, and management of loans and client relationships that promote NJCC’s mission and demonstrate community impact. The CDLO will work with the Lending team to ensure that existing products and services are relevant to market needs and develop new products and services as needed.
- Manages entire loan lifecycle, including due diligence, credit underwriting, credit approval, loan closing, and management of client relationships. Independently handles key activities that are core to loan underwriting.
- Employs a creative, solutions-oriented approach to deal structuring and loan analysis.
- Actively maintains relationships with new and existing borrowers, key stakeholders, financial partners, other CDFIs, referral sources, and other NJCC constituents to increase NJCC’s visibility in low- and moderate-income communities. Consistently provide excellent client services and maintain long-lasting relationships.
- Originates loans and reviews credit quality of existing loans that are consistent with NJCC’s mission and in compliance with NJCC’s loan policies and capital resources to meet annual loan production goals and objectives.
- Works with clients to gather financial, operational, and organizational materials in preparation of loan applications.
- Addresses any credit quality issues of existing loans in an expeditious and appropriate manner to mitigate potential loan losses.
- Conducts loan/project underwriting and due diligence, creating a clear and compelling narrative of loan strengths, weaknesses, and mitigating factors.
- Works with Loan Closing Officer in preparation of commitment letters and review of loan closing documents.
- Identifies projects and organizations located in low-moderate-income communities or that provide services to LMI community residents that would benefit from NJCC’s existing products and services. Identifies women and minority-owned businesses for financing opportunities.
- 3+ years of experience in commercial development lending or related field with experience in real estate or small business lending.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience required; advanced degree in business or related field preferred.
- Strong Excel modeling, financial, and analytical skills.
- Experience managing and prioritizing multiple projects with competing deadlines.
- Knowledge of community development financing and state and local subsidy programs preferred.
- Excellent verbal and written communication, presentation, and interpersonal skills.
- Demonstrated ability to build, manage, and strengthen client relationships.
- Ability and willingness to travel throughout New Jersey to meet with clients, stakeholders, and community development professionals.
- Results-oriented with ability to work independently and handle multiple tasks.
- Ability to speak Spanish is required.
- NJCC’s policy requires individuals to work from the office and involves up to 20% travel outside of the office.
- COVID-19 Vaccine Required: As of the first day of employment, you must be able to demonstrate proof that you are fully vaccinated (as defined by the CDC) against COVID-19, unless you are granted a medical or religious exemption in accordance with company policy.
Compensation and Benefits
Competitive nonprofit salaries, including incentive compensation based on organizational performance. Robust and family-friendly benefit packages including health, dental, vision, employee assistance program, travel companion, identity protection, disability, salary continuance, and life insurance. Flexible spending accounts (medical, dependent care and transportation/transit savings). 401(k) profit-sharing plan. Employee referral bonus program. Discounted employee travel and entertainment benefits. Professional development opportunities.
How to Apply
If you find this opportunity exciting, please apply here: https://www.applicantpro.com/openings/newjerseycommunitycapital/jobs/2808193-770770