Company: Homewise Inc
Location: Santa Fe, NM
Job Function: Financial Services
The Homewise mission is to help create successful homeowners and strengthen neighborhoods so individuals and families can improve their long-term financial well-being and quality of life. We share in our customers’ challenges and successes, using those experiences to build a better way to buy a home. We believe that strong homeowners help build healthy, vibrant communities.
Are you a licensed Mortgage Loan Originator with commercial lending experience? Consider a career with Homewise! We are a non-profit organization with a mission to help create successful homeowners and strengthen neighborhoods to improve long-term financial well-being and quality of life.
The mission of the Commercial Loan Officer is to lead our commercial loan program, which enables businesses and non-profits to own their own facilities. This includes guiding loan applicants through the process and providing the staff with the necessary information to make good lending decisions. A successful Commercial Loan officer uses their expertise in every facet of the customer’s journey, from interest in pursuing a real estate purchase to loan closing.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
The Commercial Loan Officer is responsible for carrying out the following duties:
- Ensure we set customers up for success in the purchase of their owner-occupied real estate.
- Guide commercial clients, who are often first-time commercial real estate buyers, through the real estate purchase process. This includes counseling, mentoring, and being sure the client understands the transaction, their business financials, and trends.
- Analyze loan requests for primary and secondary sources of repayment and the borrowers’ current financial situation, including spreading financials and proforma preparation and analysis.
- Underwrite loans according to Homewise’ Commercial Loan Policy guidelines.
- Recommend a loan structure(s) based on customer needs and desires and feasibility based on the loan analysis and underwriting outcomes.
- Present a loan analysis of all pertinent information to the Loan Review Committee (LRC), including recommendations of approval/denial for approval/denial by LRC.
- If approved, guide customers through the loan process. Prepare loan documents, and coordinate with third parties for appraisals, title insurance, and the loan closing.
- Coordinate with internal Underwriting and Closing departments for a successful smooth closing for customers.
- Ensure that proper due diligence has been performed at every step of the process, including financial analysis, collateral analysis or any other special circumstance.
- Comply with all applicable regulations, policies and procedures.
- Mathematics – Strong grasp of mathematics. Crunching numbers and reviewing financial statements are critical to the work of a commercial loan officer.
- Customer service – Extremely responsive to internal and external customer requests, exceeding customers’ expectations; Abides by Homewise, Inc. Customer Service Standards.
- Listening skills – Listens to understand others’ viewpoints; Anticipates customer needs and offers innovative solutions.
- Communication skills – Able to clearly present issues, both orally and in writing.
- Flexibility and adaptability – Adjusts quickly to changing priorities and conditions; Copes effectively with complexity and change.
- Computer skills – Competence in Microsoft Excel, Word, Outlook, Windows, and other software applications as appropriate, including familiarity with Loan Origination Systems.
- Work independently – Ability to work independently with little or no supervision.
- High standards; Expect personal performance to be nothing short of the best.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in finance, business or a related field or related experience.
- Minimum of two years’ experience in commercial lending.
- State of New Mexico Mortgage Loan Originator license.
- In-depth knowledge of loan regulations and lending procedures.
- Extensive experience in reviewing financial information.
- Must be able to work flexible hours, including evenings and/or weekends on occasion.
- This is largely a sedentary role; however, some filing is required; This would require the ability to lift files, open filing cabinets and bend or stand as necessary.
- Must be able to occasionally lift up to 20 pounds.
- Must be able to maneuver around various client business offices and workspaces.
Compensation and Benefits
We offer the following benefits to employees who work part-time or more:
- Comprehensive medical benefits, including dental and vision
- Generous Paid Time Off
- Matched 403(b) Retirement Plan
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Life and Disability benefits
- Tuition Reimbursement
- A great work environment
- Remote or hybrid work options for several roles