Company: National Association of Housing and Redevelopment Officials (NAHRO)
Location: Washington D.C., DC
Job Function: Administrative/Operations/IT
Formed in 1933, NAHRO represents 19,500 housing and community development individuals and agencies across the country. Collectively, its members manage and preserve affordable housing serving 8 million people in urban, rural, and suburban communities, and direct over $1.5 billion in Community Development Block Grant and HOME Program funding to strengthen these neighborhoods. NAHRO provides professional development and networking opportunities for its members, and advocates on behalf of the programs they administer and the families they serve.
To be the leading housing and community development association that inspires the creation ofstrong and sustainable communities.
NAHRO is the “go-to” association for housing and community development, leading the sector through advocacy and policy, networking and collaboration, and professional development and training. With more than 17,000 individual members and associates and 2,500 agency members, NAHRO members own or administer nearly 900,000 units of public housing (a vast majority of the nation’s inventory), more than 1,600,000 units of tenant-based Section 8 housing, and nearly 400,000 units of other assisted housing. NAHRO’s membership reflects the breadth and depth of housing and community development from developed urban areas to rural communities. NAHRO’s membership provides expertise, passion, and significant contributions that are deeply valued and speak to the core of NAHRO’s strength as an association.
Governed by a 50-person Board of Governors, NAHRO’s current budget is $6M and boasts a staff of 23 industry experts in advocacy, professional development, and agency administration. Mark Thiele was named in May 2022 as NAHRO’s new CEO and this COO position will be the first critical hire impactful strategic development of r more information, please visit the website at https://www.nahro.org/
The National Association of Housing and Redevelopment Officials (NAHRO) is seeking an experienced association operations professional to serve as its Chief Operating Officer (COO) working in close partnership with the new CEO to build on NAHRO’s nearly 90-year commitment to being the leading housing and community development association that inspires the creation of strong and sustainable communities across the United States.
Working with the Chief Executive Officer (CEO), the COO will be charged with ensuring that the association employs the appropriate operational, technological, and financial business systems and controls to operate efficiently. The COO is responsible for the design and implementation of effective business strategies to achieve and sustain optimum operational and financial viability and will directly supervise three finance and support staff.
The COO provides oversight and stewardship of NAHRO’s assets and financial resources, promoting best practices in finance, technology, and operations while ensuring operations align with the organization’s mission and goals. Toward these ends, near-term priorities for this role for the next 12-18 months include preparing the 2023 budget, managing technology conversions and upgrades, planning for maximizing opportunities at our headquarters during the pandemic transition, and reviewing and refining organizational processes.
The COO’s duties will include:
• Day-to-day management of the association’s operational, financial and information technology systems to ensure that the required support functions are meeting the needs of the organization.
• Overseeing accounting systems to ensure performance strategies and controls are in compliance with required regulations and standards.
• Assessing, developing, and implementing operational, financial, technological, and accounting policies and procedures to safeguard the association’s assets and to facilitate timely and accurate reporting practices.
• Managing the association’s banking and investment activities.
• Developing business plans to demonstrate the sound research and analysis needed to guide the association’s strategic plans and initiatives and sustain viability, in consultation with the CEO and designated leadership.
• Directing the management of NAHRO’s real property and other fixed assets including the headquarters building and the leasing/rental of space.
• Overseeing the contractual and financial aspects of the association’s employee benefit programs.
• Directing and supervising the work of staff; providing guidance, training, onboarding, and benefits administration oversight as well as professional development including conducting performance evaluations as required.
NAHRO utilizes Microsoft Outlook, Office (e.g., Word, PowerPoint, One Note, Excel) and Protech (built in Dynamics 365) as its Association Management System (AMS). Additionally, NAHRO utilizes Adobe platforms, Power Bi, Zoom (i.e., webinar, meeting, phone), Canva, DocuSign and Informz as its email marketing and information sharing platform. Currently, NAHRO’s finances are managed in Great Plains software and Quick Books. The association is looking to streamline its finance operations and is actively exploring new and more robust technologies (e.g., Bill.com, Sage Intacct). NAHRO’s website is built and managed in WordPress and has single sign on (SSO) integrations with Dynamics 365 and YM Careers. NAHRO outsources its IT and the COO serves as the project manager for the contractor.
Experience and Attributes
Successful candidates for this position will share NAHRO’s commitment to its diverse membership and mission and will bring senior-level association management expertise and knowledge to the organization to support its growth and scale.
NAHRO seeks candidates who bring a variety of experiences and attributes including:
• A minimum of 10 years executive management experience in business operations (preferably in a membership association or non-profit entity) or other equivalent combination of education and experience which meet the minimum qualifications requirement.
• Demonstrated expertise and knowledge of best practices in association management.
• Excellent skills in managing financial systems and knowledge of non-profit accounting standards and practices.
• Strong understanding and facility with related technology systems.
• Knowledge and a strong familiarity with related investment practices.
• Ability to manage an extensive employee benefit program.
• Ability to effectively supervise, mentor, and grow professional and technical staff.
• Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively and cooperatively with senior executives.
• Exceptional oral and written communication skills.
• Bachelor’s Degree in Business Administration, Accounting, Finance or other business-related field preferred.
Compensation and Benefits
Salary commensurate with experience. NAHRO offers a generous slate of benefits including medical, dental, vision, and life insurances, transportation allowances, and retirement, among others.
How to Apply
To apply, upload resume, cover letter, and salary requirements by clicking here. For other inquiries, contact Suzanne Tan at Suzanne.Tan@marcumllp.com. Resume reviews begin immediately.
NAHRO is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) employer. Candidates for employment are considered without regard to race, age, religion, color, gender, national origin, disability, military status, marital status, sexual orientation, family responsibilities, political affiliation or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law. Our non-discrimination policy applies to all facets of employment, including recruiting, employment, promotion, demotion, dismissal, and compensation.
About Marcum’s Nonprofit & Social Sector Group
On behalf of NAHRO, Marcum’s Nonprofit & Social Sector Group is working with the CEO to advance the search. Founded in 1984, we are, and always have been, a mission-driven professional services firm seeking to do more for nonprofits and socially conscious companies like NAHRO. Learn more about our work at http://marcumllp.com/industries/nonprofit-social-sector.