Chief Financial Officer
Company: Latino Community Credit Union
Location: Durham, NC
Job Function: Financial Services
As a community development financial institution, Latino Community Credit Union (LCCU) is the ideal option for people passionate about empowering other people through their work. Our vision is to ensure economic opportunity for all by providing our local communities with ethical financial products and services. We also share a passion for education, which we proudly reflect in our member-owners and employees.
The Chief Financial Officer is responsible for the financial strategy and health of the credit union and related organizations (currently Latino Community Development Center, a 501c3 non-profit). Working as a collaborative leader, the CFO manages and reports on all fiscal and fiduciary affairs, including accounting, financial management, and financial reporting functions of the credit union, ensuring a financially strong and stable organization able to grow as directed according to the strategic plan. Additionally, the CFO will have the exciting opportunity to develop a strong Finance and Accounting team as the credit union builds its back-office capacity with a transition to a new core system.
- Participate in key decisions as a member of the executive management team and maintain in-depth relations with all team members.
- Together with the CEO and executive leadership team, develop the strategy to ensure that the credit union and related organizations have the capacity and financial resources needed to achieve current and future goals, while mitigating financial and operational risk.
- Develop finance organizational strategies and objectives by contributing financial and accounting information, analysis, and recommendations to strategic thinking and direction.
- Develop performance measures and monitoring systems that support the department’s strategic direction, particularly during growth of department and transition to a new core system.
- Oversee accounting, budgeting, treasury functions, and financial management to ensure accurate reporting, interpretation, and analysis of financial results in conjunction with forecasts and long-range plans.
- Ensure accurate and timely monthly, quarterly, and annual financial statement reporting.
- Manage and support the preparation of all corporate audits, quarterly and annual tax returns and reporting.
- Maintain relations with external auditors and investigate their findings and recommendations.
- Establish and drive finance and accounting functions, processes, and procedures through transition and implementation of new core and related systems.
- Develop, implement, and evaluate policies and procedures for the department, ensuring that they reflect current regulations and are in strict compliance with NCUA and CFPB regulations and generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP).
- Monitor financial performance by measuring and analyzing results, initiating corrective actions, and minimizing the impact of variances.
- Ensure that recordkeeping meets requirements of auditors and government agencies.
- Supervise Finance and Accounting team on day-to-day operations and functions, including month/year end close, accounts receivable and payable, reconciliation, and financial reports.
- Coordinate quarterly Asset Liability Committee (ALCO) meetings and report to the Board.
- Manage and monitor the organization’s cash flow and forecast capital needs, in coordination with a cross-departmental team.
- Assist in setting credit union interest rates and fees based on market trends.
- Make recommendations regarding investment decisions.
- Establish and maintain controls to safeguard assets.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in related field, Accounting or Finance, with MBA and/or CPA preferred.
- Minimum 5 years progressive financial leadership experience with a financial institution or similar organization, with experience in a senior or executive management position.
- Strong understanding of and extensive professional experience with Accounting/GAAP principles, familiarity with non-profit and fund accounting.
- Fluent English required and additional familiarity with Spanish preferred.
- Must be able to cooperate and collaborate with co-workers – ability to demonstrate compassionate service with diverse individuals, including but not limited to race, income, age, and ability.
- Excellent organizational, communication (both verbal and written) analytical, and negotiating skills.
- Demonstrated appreciation of the mission and ability to communicate with credit union members, regulators and investors, and community organizations and leaders.
- Possesses high energy, positive “can do” attitude, curiosity, flexibility, teamwork, and attention to detail, high degree of initiative, proven ability to manage multiple tasks in a deadline driven environment, with a good sense of humor.
- Proven ability to manage and develop teams.
- Some travel may be required. Our main headquarters is located in Durham, NC. Limited remote work is allowed.
Compensation and Benefits
We provide a challenging and friendly work environment as well as a competitive salary and benefits package including an employer-paid medical insurance plan, 401(k) plan (with a substantial company match), employer paid life and disability plan and generous paid time off to maintain a healthy work/life balance.
The general nature of the work requires employees to sit or stand for extended periods, lift up to 35 pounds, and use the computer and telephone to perform job functions. The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of personnel so classified. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Latino Community Credit Union is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
How to Apply
Please apply using the following link:
Latino Credit Union – Chief Financial Officer (paylocity.com)