Accounting Director / Controller
Company: Blue Forest
Location: , All
Job Function: Accounting
Blue Forest is an innovative climate finance non-profit that addresses pressing environmental challenges by developing ecological investment opportunities. In partnership with the USDA Forest Service and the World Resources Institute, Blue Forest developed our signature environmental product, the Forest Resilience Bond (FRB), to overcome the funding gap for forest management. As a first of its kind public-private partnership, the FRB enables private capital to catalyze public land management on National Forest land by valuing the resulting ecosystem services, thereby reducing wildfire risk and promoting ecological sustainability. More recently, Blue Forest has also established Blue Forest Asset Management (BFAM), an investment management platform connecting investors to compelling, mission-aligned opportunities in a broader set of asset classes beyond FRB projects, such as private equity and private credit investments. BFAM’s first fund offering, the California Wildfire Innovation Fund (CWIF), closed on $25m of commitments in Q1 2023.
Blue Forest is an interdisciplinary team of scientists, engineers, foresters, finance, and communications professionals committed to the mission of “Financial Innovation for Sustainable Solutions” through our culture of learning, collaboration, diligence, and innovation. As we grow and develop new financial solutions to pressing environmental problems, we are committed to promoting racial and social equity and amplifying historically excluded voices in the burgeoning field of conservation finance.
The Accounting Director’s principal responsibility is the oversight of the accounting, financial reporting, and grants finance workstreams at Blue Forest. Primary goals of this position at Blue Forest include the following: (1) provide technical expertise and leadership to complement the strategic finance-oriented CFO, (2) scale and refine the company’s systems, processes, policies, team capabilities, and third-party engagements to support continued growth and complexity in Blue Forest’s businesses and grant funding relationships, and (3) contribute to a reputation of collaboration, diligence, and top-notch execution on the finance team at Blue Forest.
Accounting and Financial Reporting (50%)
- Oversee all elements of consolidated GAAP accounting and financial reporting for Blue Forest (a 501(c)(3) entity) and its subsidiaries, including monthly, quarterly, and year-end closes
- Manage Blue Forest’s accounting system (currently QuickBooks Online) and related software tools (e.g. Ramp for corporate spend and bill pay)
- Manage and direct Blue Forest’s outsourced bookkeeping service provider
- Maintain GL, including tracking of funder allocations, program budgeting, and categorization of spending for Form 990 reporting purposes
- Review and integrate financial statements produced by third-party fund administrators
- Own accounting policies
- Produce and continuously improve financial statements and reports for internal and external audiences
Grants Finance Management (25%)
- Lead finance workstreams related to government and philanthropic grant funding sources, including grant invoicing, financial reporting, grant budgeting, and grants compliance management
- Design and improve internal systems for disseminating financial information to grant managers throughout Blue Forest
- Create and document spending policies, including with respect to the Code of Federal Regulations (CFR) Title 2
- With CFO, undertake grants finance special projects such as NICRA application and updates
- Manage accounting team member responsible for grants finance tasks (Grants Finance Associate)
Treasury, Audit, and Tax (10%)
- Assist CFO in managing banking and investment relationships
- Develop, implement, and monitor policies and procedures for funds transfers, financial controls, and other elements of financial risk management
- Manage third-party tax engagement (i.e. Form 990)
- Manage third-party audit engagements for Blue Forest and several of its subsidiaries/affiliates, including standard US GAAP audit and federal single audit
- Support CFO in corporate budgeting, planning, and forecasting
- Collaborate with department heads to integrate resource plans and timekeeping data with financial plans
- Contribute to Finance department strategy, roadmapping, and resource planning
- Oversee elements of HR administration including benefits administration, business registrations, and state-level compliance
- Monitor AP and AR
- Act as internal resource for accounting and finance questions from team members
Blue Forest is a fully remote company with staff located across all four continental U.S. time zones. The Accounting Director will generally be expected to be online during their respective standard working hours in order to collaborate with other team members. Blue Forest also hosts an in-person team retreat each year.
Blue Forest will prioritize the following qualifications in the hiring process; however, we do not expect candidates to fulfill all criteria and encourage all interested candidates to apply.
- 8+ years of experience in nonprofit finance and accounting, with strong preference for exposure to federal awards and agreements
- Familiarity with 2 CFR 200, with experience undergoing federal single audit process preferred
- Successful track record managing and motivating people
- Experience in some or all of the following areas strongly preferred:
- Federal financial awards or cost-share agreements
- Non-profit accounting
- Consolidating and intercompany accounting
- Philanthropic grants management and reporting
- Accounting system change management
- Accounting/compliance policy development
- Strong proficiency in Microsoft Excel
- Clear written and verbal communication
- Attention to detail, excellent organization, and commitment to accuracy
- Interest in and commitment to environmental conservation and climate resilience
Compensation and Benefits
Application Timeline: Rolling, position open until filled
Reports to: CFO
Employment Status: Full time
Salary: $110,000–$148,000, depending on experience
Preferred Start Date: As soon as possible; priority application deadline 6/15/23
- 100% employer paid health, dental, and vision coverage; subsidized coverage for dependents
- Access to 401k retirement plan with 4% employer match
- Starting 3 weeks paid vacation and 17 paid holidays; paid sick leave and volunteer time
- 3 months paid family leave
- Employer paid life and long term disability insurance
- Access to Dependent Care FSA
- Public Lands Exploration stipend (reimbursements for visits to National Forests, county parks, etc.)
- Monthly Home Office stipend or co-working space provided
- Additional stipends for health & wellness; home internet and cell service; and professional development
- Option for non-taxable contributions towards repayment of student loan debt, up to $5,250 per year, in lieu of salary
How to Apply
To apply to this position, please submit an application through Gusto. People from historically underrepresented populations and candidates with non-traditional career paths are especially encouraged to apply. Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis, and those submitted by 6/15/23 will be given priority consideration.
If participating in the interview process would require you to incur additional expenses to participate, such as childcare, please let us know and we are happy to reimburse for reasonable expenses incurred up to $30/hour for twice the length of each interview in which you participate. There will be space to request this reimbursement upon offer of an interview.
COVID VACCINE REQUIREMENT
All Blue Forest staff are required to be “fully vaccinated” against COVID-19, as the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention defines that term. Proof of full vaccination shall be a condition of employment and must be provided prior to starting work, except where prohibited by law. Blue Forest is an Equal Opportunity Employer, and the company will engage in the interactive process regarding reasonable accommodations for candidates who cannot be vaccinated due to a disability/medical condition; a sincerely held religious belief, practice or observance; or a claimed exemption under applicable state law.
Blue Forest provides equal employment and opportunities for advancement, compensation, training, and growth according to individual merit, without regard to race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, age, genetic information, disability, veteran-status, or any other characteristic protected under applicable Federal, state, or local law. Applicants must have authorization to work in the United States.