Location: Chicago, IL
Job Function: Accounting
IFF is a mission-driven lender, real estate consultant, and developer that helps communities thrive. Key to our success has been a deep sense of purpose, a broad perspective, and a relentless focus on achieving positive results. Across the Midwest we help clients from every sector, including human service agencies, health centers, schools, affordable housing developers, and healthy food grocery operators. Staff contribute extensive business experience and an unrivaled connection to the
mission of IFF to the clients we serve.
IFF is looking for candidates with a commitment to the work we do who can demonstrate their creativity, diligence, enthusiasm, growth-mindset, thoughtfulness, and passion to make meaningful change in the areas of economic and racial justice.
Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion
Partnering to create thriving communities is at the heart of everything we do. We leverage knowledge, capital, and resources to advance equitable and transformational outcomes in under-resourced communities, guided by our commitment to be an inclusive, anti-racist and anti-oppressive institution that honors communities as asset-rich and as experts in their own stories.
Title: Staff Accountant
Employee Status: Full Time-Exempt
Reports to: Controller
Department: Core Operations-Accounting
Location: Chicago, IL
The Accounting department is responsible for financial reporting and analyses to both internal and external clients, ensures the organization is in compliance to external borrowers, and maintains information systems.
Basic Job Function
The Staff Accountant assists the department with the organization’s accounting and auditing functions. These functions include maintaining the organization’s accounting principles, practices, and procedures. The Staff Accountant assists the Controller with the preparation of financial operating reports, annual audit schedules, grant reporting, New Market Tax Credit entries, monthly reconciliations, and effectivity communicates with various levels of department management.
Job Duties and Responsibilities:
- The Staff Accountant prepares monthly journal entries for approval by the Controller that supports the monthly close process. Entries are created to ensure accuracy, reasonableness, and correctness. Monthly entries include items such as depreciation schedules, prepaid expenses, income accruals, and overhead allocations.
- Works with project managers across department lines to ensure grants are recorded and drawn down in accordance with grant agreement and budget guidelines. Creates project reports in our accounting system to present on a monthly basis to Controller and project management.
- Responsible for recording daily bank transactions of the operating bank account in accounting system. Completes monthly bank reconciliations on over 50 bank accounts.
- Collaborates with the Real Estate Solutions (RES) department to create and send invoices out on a monthly basis. Works with various levels of RES management to ensure invoice payments are collected.
- Generate and post monthly New Market Tax Credit journal entries. Creation of quarterly financial statements for accounting management.
- Provides Data and Systems support (Dynamics 365/Sage)
- Develops, prepares, and distributes reports (Excel or through Sage directly) to provide accurate and timely information to users, working closely with the Data Analytics Team on behalf of Finance.
- Supports integration and analytics related to cross functional work with a primary focus on the interdependencies with the Real Estate Solutions team.
- Serves a Finance representative for systems related process improvement workstreams.
- Performs monthly and quarterly account reconciliations for assigned balance sheet and income statement accounts.
- Works with the AP/Payroll Coordinator to ensure payments are coded correctly and verifies that payroll has been successfully submitted.
- Directly assists the Controller in support of the audit process, annual budget, and monthly financial reports for all levels of Management.
- Maintains required job knowledge, skills, and core professional competencies. Attends and participates in required educational programs and staff meetings.
- Performs other duties as required.
- Lists, spreadsheets, data, information, and records are accurate, complete, and entered on a timely basis. Back up materials/schedules balance to the general ledger. Information is clearly labeled and organized for easy access by supervisor and other pertinent staff.
- Variances and entries are properly identified, explained, and reported to supervisor and/or management.
- Deadlines for month end close and other projects are met.
- Employee’s/customers questions and inquiries are answered timely and accurately.
- Reports contain accurate, useful, and relevant information.
- Cultivates a culture of openness in information sharing. Encourages open communication, cooperation, and the sharing of knowledge.
- Models personal accountability that promotes ownership and engagement.
- Builds and maintains effective working relationships with colleagues, peers and team members.
- Values and supports differences in others, contributing to an inclusive work environment. Demonstrates the ability and willingness to communicate effectively with people of diverse backgrounds and experiences to create a collaborative, collegial, and caring community.
- High level of satisfaction with both internal colleagues and external contacts.
Education: Bachelor’s degree in accounting or related field and direct relevant experience.
Previous Experience: Four or more years of related experience, preferably in the nonprofit, banking, or consulting sectors.
Special Knowledge & Skills:
- Strong knowledge of General Ledger, Accounts Payable, Grant Management, Sage Intacct, and Concur.
- Thorough understanding of Financial Statements, preferably non-profit.
- High level of organizational and detail skills with the ability to balance multitask and adapt as challenges are presented. Ability to think creatively about problems.
- General Accounting and Finance knowledge.
- High level of experience with Microsoft Excel and Word.
Additional Requirements: Minimal regional travel may be required. Occasional evening and weekend work may be required.
Compensation and Benefits
Salary and benefits are discussed in interview.
How to Apply
Application Instructions: Please visit our Careers section of our website to apply online. https://theapplicantmanager.com/jobs?pos=i5213&fs=1.0em
Both a resume and cover letter are required.
IFF does not offer relocation packages; must be authorized to work in the United States; IFF does not offer sponsorship.