Job Function: Lending/Loan Operations
Who we are
Cinnaire is a mission-driven organization. Our team of more than 130 individuals are united by our core purpose. As dedicated problem solvers, we start each day thinking ‘what kind of difference can we make in people’s lives today?’ and then go about revitalizing communities, empowering individuals and creating economic opportunities.
What we do
We get involved. We spend time on the ground in the communities we serve, getting to know the people, understanding their challenges, and devising out-of-the-box solutions. Ours is a people-first approach to advancing communities. As a community development financial organization, we provide creative capital solutions to projects with high social value that may not otherwise receive support from traditional financial institutions. Our toolkit of services includes programs that lend funds, finance development and manage and build all the components of healthy communities.
How we do it
We help community development organizations, lending partners and socially motivated investors accomplish goals in underserved communities. We fill gaps in community development funding by leveraging capital from public and private sector organizations and bringing expertise to communities that need it most.
Where we serve
Since 1993, Cinnaire has funded affordable housing developments and community development initiatives throughout the Midwest and Mid-Atlantic states. Headquartered in Lansing Michigan, we have offices in Detroit and Grand Rapids, MI:, Milwaukee and Madison, WI; Chicago, IL; Indianapolis, IN; and Wilmington, DE, while providing financial and development support across our nine-state footprint including Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Indiana, Illinois, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, Delaware and Maryland.
The Senior Vice President, Loan Origination Services (SVPLOS) provides strategic direction for the loan originations, loan underwriting, and loan closing teams, consistent with CLC’s mission as a certified community development financial institution (CDFI). Loan origination services encompasses the processes required to take an affordable housing or community development loan from referral through to closing. The SVPLOS assists the President of CLC in ensuring that the directors of these teams have the proper resources and support to perform their respective functions. The SVPLOS is also responsible for coordination among these teams to ensure that the needs of CLC’s internal and external stakeholders are met.
This role is part of the strategic leadership team for Cinnaire Lending Corporation (CLC), that works with the President of CLC and the Senior Vice President, Loan Management Services (SVPLMS) to provide direction for the lending business and to ensure a responsible and sustainable balance of mission orientation and risk.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Develops and monitors individual goals for direct reports, and coordinates and monitors team goals for loan origination services teams.
- Sets and maintains customer service standards and expected turnaround times for loan origination services teams.
- Oversees the process of updating CLC loan policy, underwriting guidelines, and closing procedures to provide borrowers with a seamless origination experience.
- Works with the SVP, LMS to develop feedback loops to improve origination services and ensure sound decision-making regarding portfolio concentrations, new loan products and services, and underwriting risk ratings.
- Manages exceptions to loan policies as needed.
- Coordinates and interfaces with leadership from the Equity, Public Funding, Impact and Innovations, and Community Connection teams at Cinnaire to ensure that loan originations services functions are responsive to their needs and concerns.
- Supports the President of CLC and SVP, LMS in vetting and structuring new loan funds and providing ongoing stewardship to investor partners.
- Oversees the use of consultants and monitors consultant performance for loan origination services teams.
- Develops and maintains effective business relationships with external partners.
- Represents CLC at affordable housing and community development industry events.
Qualifications and Skills:
- Minimum 10 years’ experience in real estate, lending, investment, and underwriting. Affordable housing and/or community development lending experience strongly preferred.
- Demonstrated passion for CLC’s mission as a CDFI and a commitment to supporting markets and populations that have been systematically excluded from financial markets.
- Bachelor’s Degree in real estate, finance, community development, or a related field required.
- Master’s degree in a related field preferred, but not required.
- Leadership Development: Coaches and develops others by seeking to understand their strengths and developmental needs
- Insight to Action: Acts on conviction and advances from concept to implementation toward a goal; draws upon knowledge and professional judgment to orchestrate the steps required to achieve results.
- Leadership: Demonstrates leadership through actions. Creates a culture of accountability.
- Diversity Awareness: Identifies the benefits and advantages of harnessing collective insights from various individuals in the organization.
Reporting Relationship: Reports to President of Cinnaire Lending.
Supervisory Relationship(s): Director of Loan Originations, Director of Loan Underwriting, Loan Closing Manager.
- Ability to sit and work on a computer for extended periods of time.
Travel Required: 20%
Compensation and Benefits
Cinnaire offers a competitive compensation package.