Company: National Urban League
Location: New York, NY, USA, NY
Job Function: Lending/Loan Operations
The Urban Empowerment Fund (UEF) is a subsidiary of the National Urban League. The National Urban League (NUL) is a historic civil rights organization dedicated to economic empowerment, equality, and social justice. With 90 affiliates serving 300 communities in 37 states and the District of Columbia, the Urban League spearheads the development of social programs and authoritative public policy research, and advocates for policies and services that close the equality gap. At the local community level, NUL and its affiliates provide direct services that improve the lives of more than two million people annually. UEF is a Community Development Financial Institution (CDFI) Loan Fund and a minority business enterprise development and finance organization. The mission of UEF is to help Minority Business Enterprises (MBEs) gain access to capital, survive, prosper, grow, create jobs, and generate individual and community wealth by providing financing and high-touch development support to small business owners. UEF provides small business loans ranging between $25,000 and $250,000, development services, and advocacy to MBEs nationally, across the service area of the NUL and its affiliates.
The Loan Compliance and Portfolio Manager is the client’s point of contact for ongoing loan servicing. The role is responsible for loan closing, disbursement, payment performance, compliance monitoring, annual review, financial analysis, and risk management. This position coordinates all post-loan support and activities aligned with clients’ needs and requirements. This position will monitor, identify, and resolve performance-related concerns/issues as part of the administration of a UEF’s Loan portfolio, and will also measure credit risk and performance metrics which will guide and revamp UEF’s lending practices.
This position will play a key role in managing the growth, strategy, and risk of the small business loan portfolio. The ideal candidate would be an exceptional communicator who can work well at the intersection of risk management and customer service. Other responsibilities include providing administrative support to the executive management team, credit underwriting, and other duties as assigned. This position will report to the Vice President of Lending.
Loan Closing & Portfolio Management:
- Streamline and oversee the loan closing and disbursement process for new loans, encompassing the preparation of closing documents and ensuring the perfection of collateral and security interests.
- Supervise aspects of loan repayment, delinquency management, collections, and resolution of problem loans, maintaining meticulous and well-organized records.
- Ensure the timely and accurate collection of data and reporting, monitoring loan repayment, allocating loan loss reserves, and tracking essential metrics monthly.
- Uphold client compliance with loan covenants and reporting requirements, collaborating with the financial management team to reconcile the portfolio with accounting records.
- Track and assess loan performance, ensuring that metrics align with UEF’s reporting needs and comply with contractual, funder, and audit requirements.
- Assist with high-level qualitative and quantitative analysis of the loan portfolio.
Risk Management and Reporting
- Prepare and deliver a comprehensive monthly report on portfolio performance to the executive management team and Board of Directors.
- Coordinate ongoing technical assistance, which may involve site visits and connections to service providers such as accountants and lawyers.
- Provide regular reporting on USF’s loan portfolio, borrowers, impact, and other business activities for internal and external use
- Prepare detailed written credit memoranda with detailed assessment and recommendations for terms and credit structure. This includes Borrower, Guarantor, project, industry, financial and collateral assessment, as applicable, and recommendation on financial covenants and reporting requirements.
- Present loan applications and recommendations to UEF’s credit committee.
- Prepare minutes for each credit committee meeting for review and approval.
- Support efforts related to new grant proposals and reporting to funders, including monitoring, and measuring program outcomes as needed.
- Contribute to the review and update of UEF’s credit policies and revamp the loan application process and templates.
- Undertake additional related duties and responsibilities as assigned by the supervisor.
- Bachelor’s degree, preferably in finance and accounting. A graduate degree in a related field is a plus.
- Minimum of 1-3 years of professional experience as a credit analyst/underwriter, Loan Officer, or Portfolio Manager, preferably with a CDFI or similar organization.
Skills and Knowledge:
- Proficiency in spreading financial statements and tax returns, developing proforma financial statements, and assessing cash flow and repayment ability with independence.
- Knowledge of closing processes and legal documentation for small business loan transactions is a plus.
- Strong analytical, problem-solving, presentation, and communication skills, and the ability to research industries and businesses.
- Thorough understanding of financial analysis, credit risk assessment, and general small business lending principles.
- Self-starter with demonstrated ability to collaborate effectively as part of a team and work independently.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook.
- Fully remote position with occasional travel required for meetings, conferences, and community outreach.
- Prolonged periods sitting at a desk and working on a computer.
- Must be able to lift up to 15 pounds at times.
WE ARE AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER The National Urban League is an Equal Opportunity Employer and is committed to complying with all federal, state, and local equal employment opportunity (“EEO”) laws. The National Urban League strictly prohibits discrimination against any employee or applicant for employment because of the individual’s race, color, sex (including pregnancy), religion or creed, national origin, alienage, citizenship, age, sexual orientation, disability, gender identity or expression, sexual and reproductive health decisions or decision making (of employees or their dependents), familial status, marital status, partnership status, genetic predisposition or carrier status, military status, domestic violence victim status, arrest or pre- employment criminal conviction record, or any other characteristic protected by law. This policy applies to all National Urban League activities, including, but not limited to, recruitment, hiring, compensation, assignment, training, promotion, discipline, and discharge. This policy also bans discriminatory harassment. Employment at the National Urban League is at will.
Compensation and Benefits
Salary Range: $80,000 = $104,000
How to Apply
To Apply: Submit your resume, and cover letter by clicking the link: https://bit.ly/UEFLoancomplianceportfoliomanager
Deadline to Apply: March 5, 2025