Company: Pacific Community Ventures
Location: Oakland, CA
Job Function: Credit
Position Type: Full Time
Location: Oakland, CA (PCV has office space in Downtown Oakland. This job is largely remote, with the expectation that the team will intentionally get together several times a year to collaborate)
Reports to: Director of Lending
Salary: $65-$75,000, commensurate with experience; with generous benefits
Are you a driven individual who is passionate about building a more equitable society? If so, please consider joining Pacific Community Ventures as our Credit Analyst. As a mission-driven lender, we invest in diverse small businesses across the state of California to help them grow and strengthen their practices. You’ll work with our team to underwrite and monitor the organization’s growing portfolio of loans for California small businesses, focused on expanding access to capital and advising for Black and Brown entrepreneurs.
Who We Are
PCV is a 24-year-old 501(c)(3) nonprofit community investor that envisions a world of thriving communities where everyone has a fair shake. Our mission is to invest in addressing racial and gender wealth gaps, and build community wealth by investing in small businesses, help them create good jobs for working people, and make markets work for the common good. We achieve our mission through a “Good Jobs, Good Business” model that combines affordable loans with pro-bono advising, small grants, and tools and incentives to create dignified good jobs. In 2021, 90% of PCV’s loan capital supported women and/or BIPOC-owned businesses, and 86% supported small businesses located in economically distressed areas.
Why You’re Needed
We’re a dynamic nonprofit organization with a growing Loan Fund that supports more and more small businesses with loans and pro bono mentoring, creating good jobs in low-and-moderate income communities. With our expansion, we are adding loan support software and streamlining our processes and procedures to reach entrepreneurs more efficiently. You will be a dedicated teammate with strong analytical, writing, and interpersonal skills who is passionate about investing in underserved communities.
This position will report to the Director or Lending. This is a wonderful opportunity for a quick learner who wants to gain experience in the fields of small business lending and community development.
Provide support to inform lending decisions and manage the loan portfolio, including:
- Be a primary source of contact for applicants, borrowers and referring partner organizations
- Collect due diligence items from potential borrowers, run credit checks, perform financial analysis, prepare credit memoranda and supporting materials
- Discuss the viability of credit packages with the lending team and make recommendations
- Monitor borrower performance and compliance with reporting and other requirements
- Maintain electronic credit files in audit-ready condition for all borrowers
- Regularly update all lending software applications used in various portfolio reporting
- Participate in loan servicing, including loan documentation and closing, payment monitoring, data collection, etc.
- Support the lending team in process improvements and ad-hoc projects
- Grow industry knowledge by attending events and developing strong working relationships with clients and partners
Skills and Abilities:
- Bachelor’s degree with an interest in finance/community development
- Familiar with QuickBooks, Salesforce, MS Office Suite, with a strong aptitude for learning new computer programs quickly
- Self-starter willing to take initiative, and works well in a team
- Excellent interpersonal skills and strong ability to multi-task
- Embody PCV values of coming from a place of “Yes,” having empathy, being transparent, and maintain a sense of humor!
- Spanish speaker strongly preferred
This position will be based at our headquarters in Oakland long-term, due to the coordination aspects of this role. However, during the COVID-19 pandemic this role will be mostly remote, with occasional office check-ins to support team operations. The role may involve occasional travel to other locations in California.
As an organization committed to creating good jobs, we walk the talk. We provide excellent benefits for full-time employees, including full health, dental, and vision insurance, retirement savings accounts with a generous match which is fully vested immediately, ample paid time off and holidays, as well as meaningful professional development opportunities.