Company: Working Solutions CDFI
Location: Remote, All
Job Function: Lending/Loan Operations
Working Solutions CDFI (www.workingsolutions.org) is a certified, nonprofit Community Development Financial Institution (CDFI). As the First to Believe in start-up and early-stage entrepreneurs, Working Solutions (WS) makes affordable capital—primarily microloans of $5,000-$50,000—available to small businesses and provides business consulting in conjunction with every loan. WS is committed to connecting with communities that have historically not had access to capital and places an additional priority on serving lower-income individuals, women, and entrepreneurs of color.
Acutely focused on high social impact, WS mapped out an ambitious five-year strategic plan in 2019 to reach $50MM deployed to small businesses by 2024. Over the last three years, WS has delivered outstanding YOY results and is on track to meet this goal, connecting more than 3,000 local entrepreneurs to critical capital and consulting along the way. Headquartered in San Francisco and lending in the Bay Area since 2005, WS recently answered the call to expand its footprint to 19 counties throughout Northern California, encompassing more than 20,000 square miles and an estimated 2 million entrepreneurs.
As a continuously learning organization, WS has made significant investments in its team and operations to improve the entrepreneur experience. WS’ financial and impact successes and local and national visibility speak to its commitment to core markets, staff, and excellence in getting the job done. WS is looking for new community-minded change makers committed to being part of this small but mighty industry leader to grow loan deployment volume and set new sights for the years ahead. Come be a part of this vision!
The Chief Lending Officer (CLO) is the newest member of the Executive Team and will participate in strategic and organizational planning to meet mission and impact goals. The CLO will lead the Lending Team and is responsible for continued process improvements to support ongoing scale and new product development in response to continued market needs. The Lending Team packages, underwrites, negotiates, and coordinates the closing of loans and guarantees, and comprises a Director of Lending, who will report to the CLO, and the Lending Officers and Associates who report to the Director of Lending. All WS teams work collaboratively, and as such the Lending Team works closely with other teams including Finance (Accounting, Operations, Portfolio Management), Consulting (Pre-and Post-Loan), and Capitalization (Communications, Development, and Grants Management).
- Lead organization strategy in high deployment goals while maintaining portfolio quality, operational excellence, and commitment to meeting community needs;
- Provide strategic oversight of the Lending Team, driving the implementation of goals and leading the team in talent acquisition, development, and retention of staff, and cultivation of a mission-focused environment;
- Evaluate market size and remain user-centered to improve existing products and design new products to respond to community needs and grow portfolio and impact;
- Lead by example, and roll up sleeves as needed to support team;
- Collaborate with management in the analysis and development of strategic responses to public and private funding and investor opportunities;
- Work closely with the Chief Financial Officer to meet applicable financial metrics, and portfolio and asset management and loan administration matters, ensuring compliance with WS’ lending policies and all applicable laws and regulations;
- In collaboration with the Chief Program Officer, assess community demand, and create products and processes to meet need;
- Work closely with the Chief Development Officer in impact storytelling, market development, and customer acquisition;
- Cultivate existing and establish new relationships across the CDFI field; and
- Represent Working Solutions as one of its Chief Executives.
- Bachelor’s degree required, Master’s degree in related field preferred;
- Progressively responsible management experience, preferably in finance or community and economic development; experience in CDFI industry highly preferred;
- Experience with development and implementation of projects and goals, preferably working in cross-functional setting across teams or departments;
- Product development experience;
- Sound judgment and experience with a data-driven, decision-making approach;
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, including demonstrated experience with presenting in public, including on panels, and with executive memos;
- Values strong customer service and relationship-building skills;
- Small business experience a plus;
- Proficient with virtual office environment and tools including, but not limited to: Zoom, Outlook, and comfortable tracking data via Salesforce;
- Demonstrated commitment to diversity, equity, belonging, and inclusion practices;
- Commitment to Organizational Values of: 1) Economic opportunity for those historically excluded from mainstream finance; 2) Transparency, integrity, and respect for all; and 3) Significant social impact; and
- Self-awareness with a flexible, growth-oriented mindset for a great culture add.
Compensation and Benefits
Working Solutions offers a competitive salary based on industry best practices, as well as an excellent benefits package, including employer-paid medical, dental, vision, disability, and life insurance; a 401(k) retirement savings plan with employer match; flexible spending accounts (medical, dependent care); commuter benefits; professional development funds; generous paid time off; gym, telephone, and internet subsidies; and an Employee Assistance Program (EAP).
How to Apply
Please email resume and cover letter with the subject line “Chief Lending Officer” to firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls please.
Working Solutions is an Equal Opportunity Employer.