Company: National Housing Trust
Location: Washington, DC
Job Function: Accounting
The National Housing Trust (NHT) is a strong national nonprofit engaged in affordable housing advocacy, lending, real estate development and energy solutions. Our mission is to preserve and improve affordable multifamily homes to support quality, healthy neighborhoods with a range of housing options so that families of all income levels have an opportunity to thrive.
NHT is an award-winning nonprofit with a focused agenda. The ideal applicant thrives in a fast-paced environment, working with dedicated and entrepreneurial colleagues. NHT has a staff of 40+ across its four business lines – public policy, lending (NHT Community Development Fund and Institute for Community Economics), real estate development (NHT Communities) and energy solutions (NHT Renewable).
The Senior Accountant position is located within the Finance Office group under the direction of the Chief Financial Officer which provides accounting and financial management services to the various NHT business lines.
The Senior Accountant reports to the Assistant Controller and is responsible for supporting the Assistant Controller in maintaining the day-to-day accounting operations of the corporation which includes accurate recording of daily financial transactions, grant management, parent-level organization debt and lending transactions as well as other financial accounting and account analysis tasks as assigned. The position has no supervisory duties. The position communicates with NHT staff and senior NHT officers.
- Perform daily corporate accounting and month-end close functions including invoice processing and cash deposit recordings. Maintain sufficient documentation that all transactions are recorded and supported in the general ledger and sub-ledgers
- Coordinate with the Lending team on quarterly loan fund analysis and reconcile lending systems to the general ledger
- Perform CDFI segment duties monitoring receivables to ensure amounts due are recorded and that the payments are received timely
- Maintain analysis of inter-company transactions and coordinate the reconciliation between NHT and affiliated entities
- Aid and support on treasury management and cash flow reporting
- Performs grants management accounting for all parent level entities. Performs duties related to tracking and accounting for grant expenditures, grant budgeting, funds releases, and reporting on grant financial implementation
- Assist in the preparation of the annual budget in consultation with Finance/Accounting team leadership; assist program directors and managers with the preparation of the budgets
- Audit support. Provides supporting documentation and schedules for financial audits and other financial reviews as needed. Assists in GL and TB analyses. Participates in meetings with Audit firm for all parent level audits
- Assist in providing information for the completion of form 990 and any other annual tax preparations for NHT and its affiliates
- Assist in the development of departmental policies and procedures
- Identify opportunities to streamline existing processes, focusing upon enhancing efficiencies with the Finance/Accounting team
This is an extraordinary opportunity for a committed leader with 3-5 years of experience. Candidates will ideally have experience in nonprofit affordable housing. Other qualifications include:
- Commitment to NHT’s mission, including a deep dedication to assisting low-income families create and access opportunities to thrive.
- A Bachelor’s degree in accounting is required.
- A minimum 3-5 years of work experience in accounting or finance, preferably in the multi-family sector.
- Proficiency in analyzing financials of non-profit and for-profit organizations and real estate operations.
- Experience with reviewing grants and grant documentation.
- Familiarity with federal, state, and local government funding sources for capital and operating needs of affordable housing.
- Experience working with both private sector financial institutions and public agencies.
- Strong computer aptitude skills, including knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite Programs.
- Detail-oriented, entrepreneurial self-starter who relishes multitasking.
- Excellent interpersonal, organizational and communications skills, including both verbal and written skills.
- Excellent planning and organization skills.
- Ability to integrate thoroughness and attention to details with a big picture, strategic vision.
- Resourcefulness, with the ability to deliver results in an entrepreneurial, dynamic environment.
- Experience working with diverse and low-income populations.
- Collaborative spirit and positive attitude.
Compensation and Benefits
Salary and benefits are competitive and commensurate with experience. The minimum, median, and maximum salary range for this position is $65,405, $87,447, and $109,283 respectively.
How to Apply
To apply, go to: https://nhtinc.bamboohr.com/jobs/view.php?id=34&source=aWQ9NDA%3D. Please no calls or emails.
NHT is committed to providing equal employment opportunity in all our employment programs and decisions, including, but not limited to recruitment and hiring. Equal employment opportunity is provided to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, national origin or ancestry, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, family responsibilities, political affiliation, disability, matriculation, genetic information, covered veteran’s status or any other protected characteristic under federal, state, or local law. BIPOC applicants, women, and persons with disabilities are especially encouraged to apply.
NHT requires that all employees maintain ‘Up to Date’ COVID-19 vaccination status, following the CDC guidelines, unless they are eligible for an accommodation due to a disability or sincerely held religious belief or practice that prevents them from receiving the vaccine.