Company: Heights Philadelphia
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Job Function: Finance
Heights Philadelphia believes that creating pathways to educational and workforce success for low-income, Black and Brown, and first-generation-to-college students is the keystone of a more equitable and prosperous Philadelphia. That’s why Heights has merged the resources of Philadelphia Futures and Steppingstone Scholars to become the most dynamic educational nonprofit in Philadelphia.
Heights Philadelphia connects Philly youth to careers and college with a network of people who believe — and invest — in their talents. We’re working with over 3,000 Philadelphia students from middle school onward, providing individualized advising, academic enrichment, and college and career programming that breaks down barriers to propel economic mobility.
The Vice President oversees finance, technology, administration and benefits, managing and coaching a layered team to lead and develop the organizational systems, processes, and practices that will propel Heights into its next phase of growth, sustainability, and impact. Working closely with the Co-Presidents and serving as a member of the senior management team, the VP’s primary focus will be evolving Heights’ financial and operating model to support and accelerate its goals, and collaborating with members of the senior management team to ensure that Heights is implementing a business plan that is ambitious and actionable.
This is an exciting opportunity for an entrepreneurial finance leader with operational experience, who brings a big-picture approach centered in creative and collaborative problem solving.
You’ll help us to achieve:
In pursuit of our mission and with a goal of serving 5,000 Philadelphia students by 2025, the Vice President provides the leadership, management and vision necessary to ensure that Heights’ has the infrastructure in place to effectively scale with financial strength and operational efficiency.
Organizational & Team Leadership
- Lead the development and implementation of a business and operating model that is strategic, innovative, and financially sound
- Contribute to the development of Heights’ strategic goals and objectives as well as the overall management of the organization
- Serve as a strategic advisor to the senior management team and board of directors, providing financial, operational, and technology insights to support decision-making
- Liaise to the Finance and Investment Committees, effectively communicating and presenting critical financial matters to key stakeholders.
- Lead, mentor and promote the professional growth of a diverse, layered team of 5+ professionals,including the Director of Finance and Administration; Associate Director, Finance, part-time bookkeeper Office Manager; Systems and Technology Coordinator, and administrative interns.
- Collaborate on annual goal setting for the team, driving and executing team roadmaps, setting objectives, and providing feedback to ensure a high level of teamwork and performance toward goals.
- In alignment with Heights’ values, foster a commitment to continuous improvement and learning, quality services, and innovation
- Develop and implement financial strategies, policies, and procedures to ensure effective financial management, accountability, and financial health for the organization
- Manage the Finance team to implement strong budgeting, forecasting, and financial reporting processes, ensuring compliance with regulatory requirements, accounting principles, and internal controls
- Direct the organization’s annual budget process – providing guidance and direction to budget owners, and modeling annual, and multiyear financial projections to inform recommendations
- Oversee the management of organizational investments in conjunction with the Finance and Investment Committee
- Oversee all accounting policies, procedures, and operations, including payables, receivables.
- Coordinate and lead the annual audit process, working with external auditors and the finance committee of the board of directors.
- Collaborate with Advancement to ensure financial sustainability by supporting revenue diversification models, as well as by partnering on grant proposals and reports
Operations & Compliance
- Ensure efficient, consistent, and student-centered operations through management of key administrative functions and facilities
- Support program delivery with contract negotiations (and budget development), facilities planning and event planning, and by cultivating and maintaining relationships with key stakeholders, including government agencies, university and nonprofit partners
- Oversight of organizational-wide operational matters and compliance issues, including program and student safety, cybersecurity and data protection
- Direct the Administrative team in managing all aspects of organizational liabilities and insurance, as well as all contracts with vendors and consultants
HR Administration & Benefits
- In conjunction with the VP, Talent, oversee the development and implementation of organizational policies and procedures, including the maintenance of our employee handbook and administrative policies
- Oversight, implementation and evaluation of all benefits offerings for the organization, including health insurance, paid time off and retirement.
- Direct the Administrative team in all aspects of payroll administration
- Recommend, plan, and direct new information technology strategies, systems, and policies to advance organization objectives.
- Oversee the implementation and maintenance of technology systems, including Salesforce, G-Suite, QuickBooks, computers, printers, telephone, internet, and security.
- Oversee the deployment and support of staff and student computers as well as office technology. Support the onboarding and access of all staff to office technology.
- Work in conjunction with the VP, Data and Innovation to ensure staff have the technology and information needed for program operations, measurement, and evaluation.
- At least 10 years of professional experience, with at least 6+ years of progressive financial and operations management experience.
- At least 3 years of leadership responsibility for the quality and content of financial data, reporting and/or audit coordination
- Experience with managing and coaching a layered team, leading through change with a with a track record of building and developing high-performing teams
- Evidence of building structure, iterating and making lasting change to improve processes or programs; they have driven innovation while navigating existing policies, procedures and interdependencies
- Experience selecting and overseeing software installations and managing relationships with software vendors; knowledge of and facility with accounting and reporting software including QuickBooks Online; Salesforce and G-Suite
- Experience with benefits administration
- A college degree in finance, accounting, business administration or a related field; CPA or CFA is preferred
- Analytical by nature with a proven capacity to think strategically and make data-driven decisions that increase efficiency, sustainability, and drive impact
- A big-picture thinker who can take a systems view, while also able to implement and “get in the weeds”
- An effective communicator, able to translate financial concepts to – and effectively collaborate with – colleagues with and without a background in finance
- Not just savvy, but tech forward. Inclined to stay abreast of technology trends and advancements, at-the-ready to recommend innovative solutions to enhance Heights’ operations across functions
- A collaborator with strong relationship-building, able to effectively engage and influence internal and external stakeholders at all levels and across lines of difference
- Consultative in their approach to problem solving. Though they bring subject matter expertise, they lead with curiosity, demonstrating empathy for others’ challenges, and help to build the capacity of others to take action
- Inclined to take an active role in building community at work and ensuring Heights continues to be a great place to work
Compensation and Benefits
- Starting salary: $120,000-$160,000 per year, with bonus eligibility
- Location: This is a hybrid role, maintaining 2+ days/week in Heights’ office in Center City.
- Generous medical, dental & vision insurance for employees and eligible dependents, which cover 90% of costs for employee coverage
- Paid time off including 17 personal days, 6 sick days, 12 federal holidays and 2 floating holidays, and two (2) week-long office closures, one at the end of the calendar year and another in spring.
- Twelve (12) weeks of paid parental leave to support new parents
- Provision of a technology stipend to offset internet and cell phone costs
- Short and long-term disability coverage
- Monthly professional development days and resources for targeted professional development opportunities
- 401(K)-retirement savings plan with an employer contribution of 5% of annual salary, eligible January 2024
How to Apply
At Heights Philadelphia, we cultivate a culture of support. We love students. We do what we’ll say we do. We are lifelong learners. We succeed together. We are committed to maintaining a diverse staff – who reflect our students, their lived experiences, and our city. We are invested. And we invest in students to make a better Philadelphia for everyone.
If you are excited by our mission, highly skilled in your field, and eager to continue learning and growing, we invite you to apply. Visit our careers page to submit your resume. A cover letter is not required. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.