Company: NCRC Community Development Fund
Location: Washington, DC
Job Function: Financial Services
NCRC CDF is seeking an Underwriting & Loan Service Specialist who is an exceptional multi-tasker that is goal-oriented and highly detailed. The Underwriting & Loan Service Specialist will oversee a high volume of small business loan inquiries from application through underwriting, funding, and post-closing activities, manage existing borrower customer support and provide overall program support within the small business and affordable housing programs.
- Analyze financial data related to loan requests.
- Evaluate loan documents to ensure accuracy and completeness.
- Perform risk assessments on potential loan recipients based on credit rating, borrowing history, and other specific risk factors.
- Record loan denials and specific basis for declining applications.
- Monitor and report non-compliance with loan covenants.
- Maintain client relationships and provide superior customer service.
- Assist with technical underwriting issues and questions.
- Review loan documentation and vendor reports identifying signs of fraudulent activity.
- Help develop and implement underwriting policies and procedures.
Annual conference participation and support and other duties as assigned by ED.
- Communication: Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing.
- Writing: Exceptional written skills, including the ability to write content, including articles, white papers, blog posts, and social posts, and to manage professional correspondence with third parties.
- Organization: Adept at creating and implementing systems for the organization, both individually and departmentally.
- Initiative: A demonstrated sense of personal initiative with a willingness to anticipate the needs of ED and department.
- Prioritization: Ability to be flexible, transition, and re-prioritize based on the needs of the day while maintaining a big picture view.
- Fluency in additional languages is strongly preferred, with a preference for fluency in Spanish, Mandarin, Somali, Arabic, Farsi, or Amharic
- Applied knowledge of underwriting fundamentals and standard industry practices
- Understanding of basic financial principles and processes
- Knowledge of federal, state, and local regulatory requirements
- Ability to maintain confidentiality
- Strong analytical skills and attention to detail
- Excellent communication and negotiation skills
- Ability to multitask and work under pressure to meet strict deadlines
- Bachelor’s degree in Business, Finance, Accounting, or a related field
- 3-5 years of underwriting or credit and risk analysis experience preferred
- Experience with underwriting automation tools preferred
- Demonstrated proficiency with Microsoft Office (Excel, Outlook)
- Communication: Expressing or exchanging ideas using the spoken word. Includes activities in which the incumbent must convey detailed or essential verbal instructions to other workers accurately or quickly.
- Hearing: Perceiving the nature of sounds at normal speaking levels with or without correction. Ability to receive detailed information through oral communication and to discern the differences in sound.
- Repetitive motion: Substantial movements of the wrists, hands, or fingers to operate office machinery (computer, phone, copier, etc.)
- Sedentary work: Negligible amount of force frequently or constantly to lift, carry, push, pull or otherwise move objects, including the human body. Work involves remaining stationery most of the time. (50% or more)
- Visual Acuity: Close visual acuity to perform activities such as preparing and analyzing data and figures, viewing a computer screen, and extensive reading.
The worker is not substantially exposed to adverse environmental conditions.
This position description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees holding this position. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees assigned to the role.
Compensation and Benefits
Salary range: $60K-$65K, commensurate with experience
NCRC IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER.