SVP, Environmental and Climate Programs
Company: Opportunity Finance Network
Location: Washington, DC
Job Function: Administrative/Operations/IT
OFN has an exciting new opening for a top talented individual to develop, implement, and oversee our environmental and climate programs, manage day-to-day project coordination for our green financing strategy, and provide technical expertise related to greenhouse gas reduction. This is a great opportunity to serve as the top environmental ambassador and you will be responsible for developing and preserving vital connections with partner organizations to accomplish common goals. The environmental and climate programs include but are not limited to the Greenhouse Gas Reduction Fund (GHGRF) and will also focus on other environmental and climate initiatives that benefit low-wealth communities and Community Development Financial Institutions (CDFIs). In addition, you will serve as a thought partner for future strategies and initiatives for OFN’s green financing. In this role, you will report directly to the Chief Strategy and Operations Officer.
OFN is a leading national network of CDFIs headquartered in Washington, D.C. In pursuit of our mission to align capital with social, economic, and political justice, OFN supports its 390+ member CDFIs to drive transformational change in financially underserved rural, urban, and Native communities nationwide. We help money flow to people and places where traditional finance doesn’t reach. As a financial intermediary, OFN secures private capital for CDFIs through strategic partnerships with leading corporations such as Google and Twitter, mainstream financial institutions such as Bank of America and Wells Fargo, and philanthropic organizations such as the John D. and Catherine T. MacArthur Foundation and the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation.
OFN builds the strength of its membership and other CDFIs through financial products and services, events, training, research, policy advocacy, and visibility. Currently, OFN has an on-balance sheet loan portfolio of $150 million and manages capital on-and off-balance sheets of nearly $1 billion, and has plans to bring an additional $1 billion in new private capital to the industry.
To learn more, visit: https://www.ofn.org/
People who work at OFN come from a variety of professional and academic backgrounds. If you:
- Have a passion for the mission and are a true believer in our core purpose.
- Have courage to be a fearless advocate who is confident and resilient in our fight to drive capital into low-income communities.
- Are a smart, quick seeker of knowledge who thrives on creating and developing new strategies, products, and programs for increasing capital to communities we serve.
- Desire to be a collaborative team player who possesses humility and a willingness to lean into all areas of our work.
Come be a part of our growing diverse, highly committed, skilled, and collaborative staff. At OFN, we are dedicated to building a diverse, inclusive workplace, so if you are excited about this role but your experience does not align perfectly with every qualification, we encourage you to apply nonetheless. You may be the right candidate for this or other roles.
This position is based in Washington, D.C. All staff currently work a hybrid schedule.
- Leads the planning, development, and implementation of initiatives that further OFN’s agenda on green financing, including all Inflation Reduction Act initiatives.
- Serves as a technical expert on greenhouse gas emissions reduction and collaborates on the development of training materials for CDFIs, green lending and grant products, reporting requirements, and fundraising development.
- Collaborates with OFN members, network services, strategic communications, and public policy teams to provide outreach to increase public awareness of climate, energy, and environmental issues.
- Develops, implements, and oversees new environmental and climate programs, including GHGRF project plan implementation, and collaborates with the management team to modify and update the plan as required.
- Manages internal coordination activities and serve as a subject matter expert (SME) as it relates to green financing across the organization serving as a pivotal liaison among the policy, financial services, development, network services, and communications teams.
- Collects information and analyzes data on CDFI member green financing, greenhouse gas emissions, and other relevant data to support OFN’s green financing strategy.
- Supports content creation for the environmental and climate related content on the website, social media accounts, action alerts, supporter communications, and other communications aimed toward the general public.
- Manages environmental and climate related coalition-building strategies and maintains key relationships with partner organizations.
- Maintains a keen awareness of issues related to the environment, the climate, and energy in our strategic priority areas and serves as a key spokesperson for OFN on green financing agenda and strategy at meetings, and conferences.
- Manage the coordination of the GHGRF application process; including managing various working groups, serving as a climate SME as part of the GHGRF application development, assisting CDFIs who intend to apply or participate, supporting the advocacy for an effective program design that prioritizes low-income communities and racial justice, and contributing to the strategy for data collection and management. If awarded GHGRF, coordinate the implementation strategy.
- Currently, serves as a “department of one” and does not have support staff; may manage contractors as needed.
- A bachelor’s degree in public policy, public administration, natural resource management, environmental or urban planning, or related fields or 5-7 work experience in lieu of a degree.
- 10+ years of professional experience is required in a related field of work.
- Proven track record in the strategic development of policy, programs, or project management.
- Demonstrated passion for and commitment to environmental justice and social change.
- A superior understanding of environmental science concepts related to air quality or carbon accounting.
- Strong preference for experience with financing green lending projects or community greenhouse gas reduction projects.
- Expertise with the environmental regulatory powers and authority of the state and federal agencies desired.
- Expertise with ESG reporting frameworks and standards is preferred.
- Experience working within a community-based nonprofit organization or CDFI and knowledge of and commitment to community development is beneficial.
- Understanding of public policy and expertise in evaluating and analyzing legal and regulatory structures.
- Excellent organizational/time management skills required to independently manage multiple tasks and prioritize work on diverse assignments with strong attention to detail in a fast-paced setting in an effective and efficient manner.
- Ability to work well with diverse constituents is required.
- Ability to interface with employees at all levels of the organization, both internally and externally.
- Occasional travel required (5% of time).
- Comfortable working in a small office environment.
- Job involves normal physical requirements for an office position.
How to Apply
To apply, submit a cover letter and resume here.