Company: Chicago Community Loan Fund
Location: Chicago, IL
Job Function: Accounting
The mission of the Chicago Community Loan Fund is to provide flexible, affordable and responsible financing and technical assistance for community stabilization and development efforts and initiatives that benefit low- to moderate-income neighborhoods, families and individuals throughout metropolitan Chicago.
CCLF was founded in 1991 by a group of visionary social-investment advocates. Their aim was to create a nimble, flexible nonprofit lender who would fill the community development credit gaps as they emerged across the city and region. In particular, CCLF was created to ensure that Chicagoland community developers (including small and emerging groups) would have a lender to turn to for harder-to-underwrite projects and enterprises.
Chicago Community Loan Fund’s (CCLF’s) Staff Accountant assists with daily finance, accounting, and office operations.
People who work at CCLF come from a variety of professional and academic backgrounds. CCLF values a work environment where all staff can show up as their authentic self, feel valued and engaged, and know that their voice is heard. We are looking for individuals to join our team who have:
- Passion for our mission and are true believers in our core purpose,
- Courage to be a fearless advocates to advance communities by unlocking potential, ensuring fairness in opportunities, and pursuing justice for all,
- Desire to be part of an innovative and collaborative team to overcome the lack of economic progress in the communities CCLF serves,
- An open mind, are able to actively listen and collaborate with community residents and partners who share CCLF’s values, vision, and passion for change.
- Prepares monthly journal entries for approval by the Accounting Manager that supports the monthly close process. Entries include items such as depreciation schedules, prepaid expenses, income accruals, and loan loss reserve allocations
- Reconciles cash disbursement and cash receipt accounts, borrower accounts; manages accounts receivable collections
- Performs monthly and quarterly account reconciliations for assigned balance sheet and income statement accounts
- Responsible for daily bank account monitoring and bank account reconciliations
- Maintain investor files and correspondence
- Maintain monthly, quarterly, and annual investor compliance
- Assist Accounting Manager with general and year-end processing
- Works across department lines to ensure grants are recorded and drawn down in accordance with grant agreement and budget guidelines
- Provides external auditors with assistance; gathers necessary account information and documents to perform annual audit
- Code and process accounts payable. Once approved, print checks, process EFTs, obtain signatures and mail.
- Serve as a backup for the Executive Assistant, for managing mail, depositing checks, etc.
- Maintains knowledge of generally acceptable accounting practices and procedures
The successful candidate will possess the following:
- Strong knowledge of general ledger, and if possible Abila MIP system
- Thorough understanding of general accounting and financial statements, preferably non-profit
- Strong organizational, file management skills along with ability to multi-task
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Ability to manage and maintain confidential information
- Ability to work effectively in a team work environment
- High level of experience with Excel and Word applications
- Outstanding punctuality and attendance
To be considered and remain eligible for employment with CCLF, individual must be an established Illinois resident at or by the time individual commences employment, and remain a permanent Illinois resident throughout the individual’s employment with CCLF.
Minimum educational/experience requirement: Bachelor’s Degree in accounting or related field preferred. Two or more years of related experience, preferably in the nonprofit sector.
Compensation and Benefits
CCLF offers a holistic benefits package that reflects how much we value our employees. Benefits include:
- Medical Coverage
- Dental Coverage
- Vision Coverage
- Life Insurance, STD, LTD
- 401(k) Plan
- SEP (CCLF contributes 6% after first year)
- Generous time off (vacation, sick and personal days)
- Generous Parental Leave
- Birthday holiday
- Flexible Hybrid Remote Working Schedules
- Sabbatical Leave
- Employee Assistance Program
How to Apply
Please address cover letter and resume to Deborah Sabol and email to firstname.lastname@example.org with Staff Accountant in the subject line. Projected start May/June 2022.