Company: Village Capital Corporation
Location: Clevland, OH
Job Function: Lending/Loan Operations
Village Capital Corporation “VCC”), established in 1992, is a wholly owned, nonprofit subsidiary of Neighborhood Progress, Inc. (“NPI” a/k/a Cleveland Neighborhood Progress). VCC is a certified by the U.S. Department of Treasury as a community development financial institution. Our mission is to invest in the revitalization of underserved communities in northeast Ohio. VCC makes catalytic commercial real estate loans (acquisition, construction, permanent, and bridge loan facilities) to both for-profit and nonprofit borrowers. Since inception, VCC has provided almost $120 million of loans that have supported over $1 billion in project investments related to housing, office, retail, and mixed-use projects. VCC-financed projects include healthy food outlets, arts and culture venues, affordable and market-rate housing, educational facilities, retail centers, and health care facilities. VCC is committed to supporting development through the lens of racial equity and inclusion. Learn more at www.clevelandnp.org/lending.
Position will play a critical role in successfully expanding VCC’s loan portfolio. The Senior Loan Officer is responsible for managing the underwriting, due diligence, structuring, and closing/documentation of loan products. S/he will provide technical assistance to clients and prospective clients regarding loan applications and loan facilities, conduct project feasibility and financial statement analysis, and prepare and present loan approval/underwriting summaries to the Loan Committee. The Senior Loan Officer will oversee portfolio risk rating and assessment protocols and other portfolio compliance reporting, assist in the development of new loan products, credit policies, market expansions, and other high-level strategic initiatives. S/he will spend approximately 30% of their time developing new loan clients and community partners.
• Consistently provide sound due diligence and underwriting related to new loan applications and the restructuring or modification of existing loans.
• Monitor and maintain portfolio performance and asset quality
• Analyze credit reports, tax returns, financial statements, and business plans to assess loan feasibility
• Provide technical assistance to borrowers in the form of project feasibility and financial structuring
• Prepare loan underwriting summaries and present to Loan Committee for approval.
• Coordinate and manage the loan closing process to include engaging with legal counsel for documentation preparation and filing.
• Track data (in conjunction with Loan Portfolio Manager) and prepare required portfolio compliance reporting
• Interact with clients in order to discuss and resolve risk-related issues and help develop strategies and actions to mitigate risks.
• Conduct research related to specific industries, market sectors, demographics, and or geographies as necessary to inform underwriting and business development decisions.
• Provide technical assistance to borrowers in project feasibility and financial structuring relative to VCC’s loan application process
• Develop and maintain relationships with sources of client referrals, project developers/sponsors, and community partners for the purpose of generating new loans.
• Identify emerging market trends and social issues that pose opportunities or challenges for VCC.
• Effectively manage and provide professional development to VCC’s Business Development/Loan Officer.
• Bachelor’s degree in business, finance or related field required and equivalent work experience of at least five years; MBA or comparable degree preferred but not required.
• Experience in real estate lending including of underwriting of construction and permanent commercial loan facilities, preferably with a bank, CDFI or loan fund.
• Knowledge of tax credit financing (e.g. New Market, Low-Income Housing, and Historic Tax Credits) preferred but not required.
• Proficiency in the use of MS Office Professional (Word, Excel, PowerPoint).
• Strong analytical skills to include ability to analyze financial statements and prepared financial models (e.g. financial projections).
• Well-organized, excellent communication (verbal and writing) skills and conscientious attitude in work environment.
• Ability to prioritize multiple tasks.
• Ability to work with clients and partners form diverse cultural and socio-economic backgrounds
• Willingness to work with a small staff in a fast-paced environment required
• Demonstrated personal commitment to community development mission and philosophy.
Compensation and Benefits
Commensurate with skills and experience
How to Apply
Ms. Dione Alexander
Village Capital Corporation
11327 Shaker Blvd., Suite 500W
Cleveland, OH 44104