Company: Washington Area Community Investment Fund (Wacif)
Location: Washington, DC
Job Function: Relationship Management
The Washington Area Community Investment Fund (Wacif) advances equity and opportunity in the Washington, D.C. area’s underserved communities by providing financial capital, business advisory services, and strategic networking support to underinvested entrepreneurs. Since its inception in 1987, Wacif has deployed more than $50 million in capital, served more than 3,500 entrepreneurs with business advisory services, and helped create or retain more than 20,000 local jobs. To learn more about Wacif’s work, visit www.Wacif.org.
The Washington Area Community Investment Fund (Wacif) seeks two Small Business Relationship Manager to support outreach efforts in both Northern Virginia and Maryland. Small Business Relationship Managers work in a dynamic, collaborative environment, have strong business acumen, financial analysis experience, networking skills, and seek to play a pivotal role in a growing nonprofit community development financial institution (CDFI) dedicated to mission-driven small business lending and advisory services throughout the greater Washington, D.C. metropolitan area.
Under guidance of the Director of Small Business Markets and collaborative efforts with the Lending department, the Small Business Relationship Manager is responsible for helping new clients, as well as interfacing with existing Wacif clients across all signature program initiatives. The Relationship Manager will provide outreach and awareness to the community regarding small business lending products, advisory services, and signature program initiatives offered by Wacif. The position will provide advisory services and technical assistance to prospective borrowers and participates with local community and business organizations to promote Wacif products and services.
REPORTS TO: Director, Small Business Markets
Daily duties include but are not limited to:
- Maintaining a satisfactory level of customer service to all stakeholders (internal and external customers, etc.) and maintain satisfactory level of communication with all partners;
- Creating a consistent pipeline of prospective small businesses/clients by assessing the credit worthiness of potential small business borrowers and conducting outreach activities to support programmatic activities;
- Working collaboratively with internal and external partners to provide financial solutions for small businesses.
Business Development/Client Services
- Assist local entrepreneurs to overcome business development issues by strategizing with them; advises clients on the loan application process and basic criteria used to determine credit worthiness;
- Respond to loan inquiries and assist potential borrowers with the development of loan requests in alignment with Wacif’s lending strategy, credit guidelines, and loan products/program availability;
- Identify business development activities by creating purposeful relationships with local small businesses to produce new loan applicants for Wacif’s loan products in various target markets.
- Record client data and report to appropriate parties as instructed in our customer relationship management (CRM) system;
- Refer and track prospective borrowers to our Lending department;
- Refer potential subject matter experts to the Small Business Advisory Services team;
- Provide support to the Lending Department to expedite processing of applications as needed;
- Provide support to the Program Department to build internal referral opportunities as needed;
- Collaborate closely with team members in the development, launch, and execution of technical assistance programs that support the expansion of loan products and services;
- Participate in local small business and economic development organizations and prospect meetings;
- Foster peer-to-peer networking opportunities to support clients and generate referrals;
- Engage in public speaking to promote Wacif initiatives and product offerings, and participate in workshops, trainings, tradeshows, and networking events;
- Engage public and private community partners, government agencies, public officials, civic organizations, trade organizations, businesses, education centers, and financial institutions to build and maintain client referrals in your assigned area;
- Market Wacif’s advisory services and lending products to partners and develop and manage relationships with partners, borrowers, and stakeholders;
- Attend events, meetings, and other activities on evenings, and weekends as necessary relating to engaging and representing Wacif’s mission to cultivate community partnerships and promote lending activities;
- Assist the Development and Communications team with implementing marketing initiatives to promote the availability of Wacif’s programs and lending products to local businesses.
- Additional duties and responsibilities as assigned by management.
- Bachelor’s degree in business, accounting, economics, finance, or equivalent combination of training and experience from an accredited institution required.
- At least 4-5 years of professional experience in small business development and/or small business lending.
- Entrepreneurial approach to work.
- Proven ability to build relationships with potential clients, as well as business and lending partners.
- Prior work-related experience and knowledge of community development lending, Small Business Administration (SBA) Microloan lending, as well as traditional and alternative lending programs is beneficial.
- Experience in the community development financial institution (CDFI) industry a plus.
- Experience and desire to increase access to capital for low/moderate income, diverse and other underserved entrepreneurs.
- Knowledge of and/or interest in community development, racial equity, and economic inclusion.
- Strong financial skills and ability to develop and interpret financial statements applied to business accounting and finance principles are required.
- Hands on experience working with small business owners is a plus.
- Excellent verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills.
- Detail–oriented individual, and ability to work independently and with a team.
- Fluency in MS Office suite (Excel, Word, PowerPoint) are required.
- Fluency in languages in addition to English is a plus.
- Occasional evening and weekend hours may be required.
Compensation and Benefits
Competitive salary commensurate with experience. Medical, Dental, Vision, Life & Disability coverages available. 401(k) retirement plan (employer matching contribution eligible); paid time off (increased with tenure), paid holidays and sick leave days, transportation benefits, and education assistance benefits (professional development, tuition reimbursement, and student loan repayment).
How to Apply
Interested candidates should email a resume/CV, thoughtful cover letter that outlines how your skills and experience meet the qualifications of the position, and salary requirements to Opportunity@wacif.org with “Small Business Relationship Manager” in the subject line.
Wacif is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes candidates from diverse backgrounds.
Wacif provides a flexible and hybrid working environment with the opportunity to work remotely.
* Candidates must be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 as a condition of employment; Reasonable accommodations will be considered.