Company: VCC Social Enterprises
Locations: Alexandria, VA; Washington, DC; Fredericksburg, VA
Job Function: Lending/Loan Operations
About VCC Social Enterprises:
VCC Social Enterprises is a nonprofit holding company regulated by the Federal Reserve. VCC Social Enterprises (VCCSE) is the parent organization for Virginia Community Capital, VCC Bank, and LOCUS Impact Investing and LOCUS Capital (collectively referred to as LOCUS). Virginia Community Capital (VCC) is a $275 million community development financial institution (CDFI) with a mission to create jobs, energize places, and promote an enhanced quality of life in our communities. With offices in Christiansburg, Norfolk, and Richmond, VCCSE offers innovative and flexible financing tools and professional advisory services to individuals and organizations in low-to-moderate income and underserved communities. VCC Bank is an FDIC-insured, certified bank and B Corp offering products tailored to socially conscious investors, along with personal and business checking, savings, and certificate of deposit accounts. VCC Bank is a majority-owned subsidiary of VCCSE. Member FDIC. Equal Housing Lender. Learn more at www.vacommunitycapital.org.
LOCUS is a national nonprofit consulting organization and mission-driven registered investment advisor firm providing a comprehensive set of tools to the increasing number of foundations and place-focused impact institutions looking for innovative ways to invest in and transform communities. LOCUS believes that philanthropy and mission-driven investors should work alongside communities to grow economies that work for all. We partner with these impact investors to redefine their role as capital providers, activate investments and endowments for community impact, and use their capital as a tool to drive equitable prosperity. LOCUS is a wholly owned subsidiary of the non-profit, VCC Social Enterprises. For more information about LOCUS visit https://locusimpactinvesting.org.
The Small Business Lender will generate leads through networking, cold calling, and existing contacts, develop loan packages, assess credit reports, gather, and analyze pertinent financial information, and prepare and present credit approval memos. The Loan Officer should be well versed in public and private resources and programs to assist higher risk clients to get credit. This position is based in Northern, Virginia but will cover the Mid-Atlantic territory. Some travel is required.
- Responsible for marketing and building VCCSE’s small business lending portfolio especially in areas of social impact or program aligned communities.
- Conduct proactive outreach to banks, economic development officials, not for profits, and others who might refer possible lending opportunities; participate with other VCCSE team members in trade shows, economic development and planning meetings, and other appropriate venues to promote VCCSE’s products and services.
Small Business Impact Lender Responsibilities
- Anticipated $10 million in loan production the first year, then upwards as experience and market opportunity presents.
- Work with the Small Business Manager and other members of the Small Business and Community Innovations team(s) to develop market opportunities in the area.
- Manage process to structure loan transactions in tandem with VCCSE program guidelines and the guidelines of the grant funders; make pricing and loan structuring recommendations for small business loans.
- Lead the underwriting process; draft credit approval memos in conjunction with team underwriters; present at loan committee and deliver credit solutions to small businesses
- Evaluate credit worthiness by processing loan applications and documentation within specified limits
- Navigate the SBA and other government guaranteed loan program guidelines and processes in securing and protecting the guaranty
- When necessary, work with the Community Innovations Team to directly deliver or arrange the necessary support services and/or technical assistance to get a potential borrower ready for credit.
- Coordinate with Operations and Risk Departments to advance through loan structuring, loan approval, closing and servicing stages.
- Assess applicant requests to determine financial and program eligibility for loans
- Articulate to prospective clients on what is needed to secure financing, manage their expectations, and educate them on steps forward and other resources available if they are not approved for funding with VCCSE
- Communicate with clients on needed information
- Assess customer needs, explore all options, and introduce different types of loans
- Develop referral networks and suggest alternate products
- Go the “extra mile” to build trust relationships, customer loyalty and satisfaction throughout the entire borrower experience.
- As needed, support program related grant-required reporting.
- As needed, provide feedback and support program design enhancements to better meet the needs of the borrowers.
- Operate in compliance with laws and regulations and adhere to lending compliance guidelines
- Refer deposit opportunities to the Deposit Team
Education, Experience, Certifications:
Bachelor’s degree required from 4-year college or university including specific courses in accounting and finance. Graduate degree highly desirable. Minimum 4 years of experience in banking or finance; Strong preference is given to commercial lending experience especially originating loans guaranteed by government programs.
- Demonstrated working experience as a loan officer: experience in originating SBA loans or other credit enhancements a plus
- Experience with computers and banking applications/software
- Experience using a Customer Relationship Management system (Salesforce) effectively to track sales process.
- Solid understanding of direct/indirect lending products and practices
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Ability to set own schedule and execute according to a plan, driving for results and effectiveness
Compensation and Benefits
Compensation and Benefits:
- $100,000-$109,000 annual salary depending on skills and experience
- Bonus opportunity if bonuses are paid in any given calendar year
- 17-days of PTO per year
- 11-Paid holidays per year
- Medical, dental, vision, short-term and long-term disability insurance
- 401k savings plan with employer match
- Life Insurance
- Hybrid Remote
How to Apply
Click to apply or mail or fax resume with cover letter to:
VCC Social Enterprises
7814 Carousel Lane, Suite 100
Richmond, VA 23294
Fax: (804) 939-6180
VCCSE is an Equal Opportunity Employer. VCCSE does not discriminate in hiring or employment practices on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, age, sexual orientation, marital or familial status, national origin, non-job-related disability, or status as a veteran.