Small Business Development Center Assistant Director
Company: VCC Social Enterprises
Location: Richmond, VA
Job Function: Business Development
About The SBDC:
The Capital Region SBDC is a team of business and technical experts available to listen, advise and assist entrepreneurs confidentially and free of charge. The SBDC is armed with a wealth of assets and a commitment to help small businesses achieve their business goals. We offer one on one small business counseling services and no to low-cost monthly training and workshops. Our goal is to become an inclusive resource for the small business community and level the playing field in the Richmond small business ecosystem.
About Our Host Organization VCCSE:
VCC Social Enterprises is a nonprofit holding company regulated by the Federal Reserve. VCC Social Enterprises is the parent organization for Virginia Community Capital, VCC Bank, and LOCUS Impact Investing. Virginia Community Capital (VCC) is a $275 million community development financial institution (CDFI) with a mission to create jobs, energize places, and promote an enhanced quality of life in our communities. With offices in Christiansburg, Norfolk, and Richmond, VCC offers innovative and flexible financing tools and professional advisory services to individuals and organizations in low-to-moderate income and underserved communities. VCC Bank is an FDIC-insured, certified bank and B Corp offering products tailored to socially conscious investors, along with personal and business checking, savings, and certificate of deposit accounts. VCC Bank is a majority-owned subsidiary of VCC Social Enterprises. Member FDIC. Equal Housing Lender. Learn more at www.vacommunitycapital.org.
The Capital Region SBDC is currently seeking a full-time Assistant Director who has a strong knowledge of both entrepreneurship and leadership. The SBDC Assistant Director will be responsible for the impact management of Business Advisors, creating scalable systems for our internal team which will increase our overall centers capacity to serve and providing business support to new and existing clients in the form of one-on-one counseling, training, and workshops when appropriate. The position will lead the continuing education and business acumen of our Business Advisors and support small business owners in the areas of finance, accounting, Standard Operating Procedures, and other general areas of business. The position will work closely with the SBDC Center Director to accomplish team goals. This position will be hybrid and consist of in-person and remote work. The service territory includes the City of Richmond and Counties of Goochland, Henrico, Hanover, Town of Ashland, Powhatan, New Kent, Chesterfield. Reliable transportation is required with some anticipated travel. Mileage is reimbursed for travel beyond commute to and from the Richmond office.
This is a grant-funded position contingent upon the availability of grant funds. The Capital Region SBDC is part of the Virginia SBDC Network, a partnership program of the U.S. Small Business Administration and George Mason University. The position reports to the Capital Region SBDC Director and is an employee of Virginia Community Capital (VCC), the Capital Region’s SBDC host. As such, this position receives full-time employee benefits, as described in the VCC employee handbook.
- Counsel prospective and existing small business owners/managers toward SBA-set impact goals.
- Create systems with Director for all Business Advisors to follow regarding counseling flow and impact tracking.
- Represent the Center and State Network at speaking engagements when appropriate and aligned with Director’s calendar.
- Analyze situations, make recommendations, and educate clients regarding their business. This includes assisting in the creating of business plans, researching market feasibility, financial viability, operations management, legal structures, etc.
- Maintain an appropriate level and mix of clients as noted by annual deliverables and strategic plan objectives.
- Document client advising and training activities via Center IC (CRM) in a timely, accurate, and comprehensive manner. Collect and transmit consolidated client data. Maintain adequate client files as per Virginia SBDC Network Lead Office and SBA guidelines.
- Attend small business eco-system networking events to connect and build trust with communities we serve and advise.
- Complete special projects as assigned by the Director.
- Learns, maintains, and regularly shares knowledge of sources of capital, financial and strategic planning, Virginia and local business regulations and requirements, business development tools and procedures to the Business Advisors monthly.
- Establishes and maintains cooperative working relationships with diverse business communities, including minority-, women- and veteran-owned businesses, engaging translators as necessary.
- Extensive background in small business consulting, coaching, and/or counseling; minimum of 3 years is preferred.
- Proven leadership and an understanding of issues impacting small business owners.
- Prior entrepreneurial experience either owning or running a small business preferred
- 4+ years financial consulting experience preferred
- Bachelor’s degree in finance, business administration, marketing, management, or an equivalent combination of education and lived experience.
- Reliable transportation for a hybrid working model and transportation to SBDC eventsComputer/Technology:
- Excellent Word, Excel, and Windows file management skills mandatory
- Strong technical experience with Salesforce or other CRM tools
- Demonstrated web research skills
- Familiarity with Outlook or similar network-based email and calendar software
- Extensive computer usage and Microsoft Teams communication
- Must be able to work independently in a stable remote environment
- Ability to communicate verbally across all levels of the organization in a clear, concise and confident manner.
- Ability to write accurate, clear and organized communications, incorporating a range of information and analysis. Ability to document workflow and procedures.
- Live and represent the values and mission of the organization – keeping diverse, equitable, and inclusive impact at the center of all efforts and execution
- Strong analytical and interpersonal skills with a demonstrated ability to establish and maintain effective working relationship with others and successfully interact with people at all management and support levels, as well as people of diverse socio-economic backgrounds
- Ability to organize and prioritize work activities to meet deadlines and ensure high quality work products
- High level of adaptability and flexibility required
- Ability to travel as required
- Alignment with the organizational goals:
-Sensitivity to racial, gender, sexual orientation and cultural differences and treat everyone with dignity and respect
-Effective, respectful, and timely communications with internal and external stakeholders
-Analytic, thoughtful and strategic thinking and thoroughly aware of organizational goals and strategic direction
-Must have the ability to switch roles and procedures easily to facilitate change in line with organizational priorities
-Consider the mission, objectives, and goals of VCCSE and demonstrate an understanding of the impact of their decisions and behavior on the organization
- Access to high-speed internet bandwidth and reasonable proximity to VCCSE or a major metropolitan airport.
Compensation and Benefits
- $63,000-$70,000 contingent on skills and experience
- 17-days of PTO per year
- 11-Paid holidays per year
- Medical, dental, vision, short- and long-term disability insurance
- 401k savings plan with employer match
- Life Insurance
- Flexible work environment and hybrid/remote options
How to Apply
Click link to apply or mail or fax resume with cover letter to:
VCC Social Enterprises
7814 Carousel Lane, Suite 100
Richmond, VA 23294
Fax: (804) 939-6180
VCCSE is an Equal Opportunity Employer. VCCSE does not discriminate in hiring or employment practices on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, age, sexual orientation, marital or familial status, national origin, non-job-related disability, or status as a veteran.