Company: Mission Asset Fund
Locations: San Francisco, CA; , Remote
Job Function: Accounting
Our story: Mission Asset Fund (MAF) is a groundbreaking non-profit on a mission to create a fair financial marketplace for hardworking families. We’re a recognized nationwide leader in developing innovative and successful asset-building strategies. A hybrid between a tech start-up and a nonprofit, MAF is a great place to work for both nonprofit or for-profit professionals who are interested in tech for social good and thrive in a fast-paced environment. The issues we are tackling are real and require dedication and urgency to be met head-on. At MAF, we work hard and care deeply about the clients we serve.
An awesome team to work with: This is a fully remote position with potential opportunities for regular meetups in our San Francisco office for local candidates. You will be working with a team that is ridiculously dedicated to the mission and fun to work with. We are extremely collaborative and embrace teamwork as a core value. As a nonprofit and tech startup, we attract people who like to jump in with both feet and who aren’t afraid of learning how to do better. Hailing from many different cultural and professional backgrounds, we are drawn together by a passion for embracing technology and creativity to make the world a better place for hardworking families.
Do you have a passion for research that leads with people’s voices and lived experiences? Do you want to drive analysis, inform cultural narratives, and shape policy discussions that champion the strengths and innovations of low-income and immigrant households? Do you want to be challenged, leverage technical skills, be on the cutting edge of economic justice work, have a good laugh, brainstorm a lot, get inspired frequently, and be on the right side of history?
Mission Asset Fund (MAF) is looking for a Senior Research Analyst who combines a passion for social justice and equity with a data-driven approach and analytical expertise. As a member of the Evaluation team, you will help drive forward research and evaluation projects that uplift and amplify insights from our clients’ financial lives. You will leverage your ability to manage, analyze, and synthesize complex data in order to bring real-time insights to a public audience through written briefs, webinars, and other media.
Data Management & Analysis (60%)
- Lead exploratory analyses on MAF datasets (particularly program applications and surveys), including data cleaning, formatting, imputation, and analysis.
- Employ statistical techniques to identify and interpret trends and insights about the financial lives of MAF’s clients.
- Use advanced analytical modeling (e.g., factor analysis, supervised and unsupervised machine learning techniques) to provide greater depth to our understanding of MAF client data.
- Support the Evaluation Manager with the design and testing of survey instruments that help the organization better understand, respond to, and advocate on behalf of clients’ needs and realities.
- Collect and analyze secondary data that helps contextualize the primary data MAF gathers from clients.
- Provide real-time internal debriefs on program data by developing Salesforce dashboards and reports, comprehensive data debrief slide decks and data visualizations.
- Keep a pulse on all of MAF’s programs data, working with the Evaluation Manager to develop deep-dive insights around themes central to clients’ lives.
- Participate in focus groups, interviews, and client testing sessions, to ensure MAF’s research leads with clients’ experiences.
- In collaboration with the Evaluation Manager, design program evaluations of MAF programs to measure impact and test key hypotheses.
- In collaboration with the Data Analyst, lead MAF’s data quality assurance process and conduct data validation for all published insights.
Data Insights & Communications (25%)
- Write briefs, reports, and blogs that contextualize and transform data into clear narratives.
- Communicate insights to a public (non-technical) audience of funders, policymakers, and practitioners, embodying MAF’s evaluation voice.
- Amplify MAF’s research by sharing data insights in external events, from MAF-hosted webinars to panels and conferences.
- Lead the development and design of data visualizations that present research insights to a broad public audience in accessible and compelling ways.
Project Management & Infrastructure (15%)
- In collaboration with the Evaluation Manager, set and manage timelines for analysis projects and keep projects on track to meet deadlines.
- Communicate proactively and effectively with Data Analysts and other members of the Evaluation team to drive projects forward.
- Support the Evaluation Manager by documenting standard processes and procedures for advanced analytical modeling and host internal trainings to help build the team’s analytical capabilities.
- Keep up with and document the latest developments in research methodology.
DESIRED SKILLS & EXPERIENCE
- You bring together a passion for social justice and equity with a human-centered approach to data and research.
- You’re a self-starter, you can work independently or with a team, and you exhibit good judgment about when to escalate a problem and when to find solutions on your own.
- You bring a good sense of humor, healthy interpersonal skills, and a “can do” positive attitude.
- You have a Master’s degree or Ph.D. (in public policy, economics, statistics, data science, quantitative social science, city planning, or a related field).
- You have at least 8 years of relevant experience.
- You bring a proven record of leading and executing research projects, with thorough knowledge of survey design, sampling, and program evaluation procedures.
- You have prior experience in the fields of asset building, personal finance, or community development, with a preference for a specific focus on immigrant communities.
- You are an expert at managing datasets and have extensive experience using tools like SQL, R, Python, and Salesforce to manipulate data, including data analysis, statistics, econometrics, and more. Preference for Salesforce and R.
- You’re an exceptional data translator who can transform wonky insights into clear and accessible ideas (and visualizations!) that will resonate with diverse audiences.
- You have strong presentation and communication skills and are excited to develop a public presence sharing real-time insights with diverse audiences.
- You bring experience with the full life cycle of a program evaluation, including randomized controlled trials.
- You have experience conducting focus groups, interviews, and participatory research.
- You bring experience with qualitative data analysis.
- Proficiency in Spanish (both written and spoken) is a plus.
Compensation and Benefits
- This is a full-time position with an anticipated salary range of $90,000-100,000. Salary will be dependent on experience.
- We believe in work-life balance and are committed to keeping the workload in alignment with this value.
- We provide 20 days of Paid Time Off (160 hours)/year accrued for the first two years of full-time employment, 13 paid holidays, and a flexible, family-friendly schedule.
- We provide generous medical (HMO and PPO options), dental, vision, disability, life, flexible spending account, and AD&D insurance.
- We care about your financial future. We provide a matching 401K plan that is immediately vested. We will match up to 6% of your compensation/year.
- Commuter benefits & flexible savings accounts: pre-tax benefit accounts used to pay for expenses like healthcare or commuter expenses like parking, vanpool, public transit—including train, subway, bus, and ferry.
How to Apply
- We will read your cover letter first; it’s important for us to understand whether this is the right fit for you. In your cover letter, please be sure to tell us why you are interested in this job, what is most important to you about MAF’s work, and share examples of past work you’ve done that makes you a strong candidate.
- We’ll also take a close look at your research and presentation samples. Please provide examples that best showcase your ability to clearly, accessibly, and succinctly communicate insights.
- We will review applications on a rolling basis until the position is filled.
- We would like to have the selected candidate start as soon as possible.