Company: Local Initiatives Support Corporation (LISC)
Location: Atlanta, GA
Job Function: Lending/Loan Operations
What We Do
With residents and partners, LISC forges resilient and inclusive communities of opportunity across America – great places to live, work, visit, do business and raise families.
Strategies We Pursue
- Equip talent in underinvested communities with the skills and credentials to compete successfully for quality income and wealth opportunities.
- Invest in businesses, housing and other community infrastructure to catalyze economic, health, safety and educational mobility for individuals and communities.
- Strengthen existing alliances while building new collaborations to increase our impact on the progress of people and places.
- Develop leadership and the capacity of partners to advance our work together.
- Drive local, regional, and national policy and system changes that foster broadly shared prosperity and well-being.
Since 1979, LISC and its affiliates have invested approximately $29.7 billion in businesses, affordable housing, health, educational mobility, community and recreational facilities, public safety, employment, and other projects that help to revitalize and stabilize underinvested communities. Headquartered in New York City, LISC’s reach spans the country from East coast to West coast in 38 markets with offices extending from Buffalo to San Francisco and in 2,400 rural counties across 49 states and Puerto Rico. Visit us at www.lisc.org
This is a full-time position based in Atlanta, Georgia, requiring occasional regional and national travel.
LISC drives bold ideas and resources to close the racial wealth gap in Metro Atlanta. LISC finances affordable housing, commercial enterprises and initiatives that advance financial health. In 2019, LISC opened its office in Atlanta to focus on community investments in Georgia’s Fulton, DeKalb, Cobb, Clayton and Gwinnett counties. For more information, visit our website at www.lisc.org/atlanta
LISC is seeking a skilled and experienced individual with a passion for strengthening communities through effective and thoughtful lending, technical assistance, project management, and related activities. This position will be responsible for managing and expanding LISC’s lending pipeline in the Atlanta metro area through sustainable business development and loan originations. Primary functions will include identifying project opportunities; providing technical assistance to borrowers; vetting projects and assessing financing needs; determining resources; and developing key relationships and partnerships with public and private leaders in local markets. The Senior Program Officer will successfully promote LISC’s mission and values to borrowers, grantees, funders and community partners.
This position is responsible for the sourcing, underwriting, and administration of all of LISC’s pre-development, acquisition, construction and other bridge financing loans provided for real estate and programs in Atlanta. This position is also responsible for evaluating, modeling, sourcing and underwriting other LISC financial products and services that exist or may be developed such as SBA loans, charter school and healthy food financing, New Markets Tax Credits, Low-Income Housing Tax Credits, and patient capital pools.
Guided by National LISC requirements and credit committees, this position will continually manage and oversee the LISC Atlanta portfolio and providing technical assistance to nonprofit community development corporations on specifics of economic development, the housing development process, subsidy sources and other related fields.
As part of the LISC Atlanta team, the Senior Program Officer for Lending and Capital Management is responsible for contributing to revitalization of targeted neighborhoods. The position reports directly to the Executive Director for LISC Atlanta and will assist in the development of new program initiatives, managing the LISC loan portfolio, and other responsibilities, as assigned. This is an opportunity to take a broad leadership role in the community development sector.
The ideal candidate will be able to demonstrate cultural competency working with diverse communities and a strong commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion in their work.
- Work with the Executive Director and other partners to develop a strategic approach to expanding lending and real estate based transactions, designing new lending programs and creating related marketing, informational and application materials.
- Build a pipeline of projects in such asset classes as affordable housing, community facilities, educational facilities, commercial developments and economic infrastructure as well as small business financing programs to meet local needs and agreed upon lending goals.
- Serve as primary originator, including working with borrowers to assess feasibility, structuring the transaction, conducting due diligence and financial analyses, drafting credit memoranda, coordinating with LISC national staff, and presenting loan recommendations to LISC’s national Credit Committee.
- Manage strategic relationships with for-profit and nonprofit financial institutions and local, state, and national governmental entities to support potential financing structures for LISC borrowers.
- As necessary, collaborate with other LISC staff to identify and secure capital resources from within and outside LISC, including philanthropic contributions and public subsidies.
- Compile and share best practices in community development lending and related policy and program areas from within the LISC community and from sources outside of LISC.
- Work with other LISC staff to identify and meet needs of community partners, for example by facilitating peer gatherings, convening and leading trainings, and providing technical assistance to build partners’ capacity and improve access to resources.
- Represent LISC in local, national and statewide associations and coalitions.
- Develop and implement a local lending strategy which responds to unmet needs in the housing, commercial and small business markets, and builds upon past successes and national programs;
- Serve as primary liaison to National LISC office relative to loan monitoring and portfolio management.
- Develop new financing partnerships for loan pools and blended capital investment strategies;
- Develop relationships with other local community development lenders and intermediaries in order to leverage LISC loans and grants;
- Promote lending products & services by speaking at relevant events, sitting on panels, participating on task forces;
- Perform additional duties, as required.
- Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited college our university or additional relevant work experience may be substituted. Master’s Degree in finance, business administration, urban planning, public administration or similar field preferred.
- Minimum 5 years of experience with multi-family and/or commercial real estate lending. Excellent written and verbal communication skills;
- Exhibit strong familiarity with principles of affordable housing and commercial funding programs and mechanisms including local, state, and federal housing and community development programs, and low-income housing tax credits;
- Experience leveraging relationships with roles of architects, contractors, attorneys, syndicators, appraisers, environmental engineers, realtors and other allied professionals in the development process and their impact on real estate lending analysis;
- Understand complex underwriting issues with respect to multi-family residential and commercial real estate development;
- Demonstrate familiarity with the economic, underwriting, land acquisition, political and social environment;
- Demonstrate self-direction, creative problem-solving and successfully working simultaneously on multiple tasks and projects while meeting deadlines.
- High level of proficiency in Microsoft Office suite, particularly Microsoft Excel.
- Passion for the mission of LISC.
Compensation and Benefits
LISC offers a competitive salary and excellent benefits.
How to Apply
To Apply, please click link https://boards.greenhouse.io/lisc/jobs/4311460005
LISC IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER COMMITTED TO DIVERSITY, EQUITY, INCLUSION AND JUSTICE