Company: New Markets Support Company (NMSC)
Location: Chicago, IL
Job Function: Investment
NMSC is a longtime, trusted community development impact investor and fund services provider. Our services are designed to help clients execute their impact investment strategy most effectively and boost their investment capacity. We manage or administer 32 multi-asset funds and 91 single-asset entities with over $500 million of AUM and $1.3 billion in AUA, having developed a strong base of clients and investors who value our customizable services platform, fund development expertise, impact focus, collaborative partnership approach, and vast community investing network. We are a part of LISC, the nation’s preeminent community development finance institution.
NMSC is seeking a Senior Manager to join our New Markets Tax Credit (NMTC) originations team to support the growth of our NMTC Investing platform. Having received over $1B in allocation, we are one of the largest NMTC awardees since the program’s inception. NMSC is leveraging our NMTC experience to build an NMTC syndication business supporting new, impact-focused NMTC investors. The Senior Manager will be responsible for business development, underwriting, and closing tax credit investments while building and maintaining relationships throughout the NMTC industry.
- Cultivate relationships within the NMTC industry, including CDEs, project developers and other key partners by conducting site visits and NMTC 101 events in key markets to build a pipeline of NMTC investor opportunities.
- Partner with NMSC’s Fund Management and Impact teams to prioritize investments based on potential community impact and strategic importance with our fund impact priorities.
- Manage the underwriting and diligence process for NMTC investments, including evaluation of the construction budget, operating proforma, appraisals/market studies, business creditworthiness, and developer financial and management capacity.
- Oversee the preparation of investment proposals and presentations for internal and external stakeholders.
- Facilitate closings, ensuring all information and documentation required by the NMTC program is obtained and work with legal counsel to coordinate resolution of legal issues.
- Negotiate business terms with project sponsors and CDE partners to ensure viable, sustainable projects that positively impact the community.
- Partner internally with Fund Administration and Asset Management teams to onboard transactions and address issues that arise post-closing.
- Commitment to NMSC’s mission and to work with and for diverse low-income communities.
- Self-starter who is driven to exceed set targets.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, with the ability to build and maintain relationships with diverse stakeholders.
- Minimum of three to five years of commercial real estate lending, community development finance or tax credit investing experience.
- Familiarity with the NMTC program or other structured finance tools.
- Strong project management abilities, including the ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously and meet deadlines.
- Ability to travel up to 40% of the time and to work in a remote, team-based environment.
Our office is in downtown Chicago. This position may be remote or Chicago-based. At this time, we require our Chicago-based colleagues to join us in the office four days each month (subject to change). Remote employees travel to the office once a quarter.
Additionally, the Sr. Manager is expected to travel to industry conferences and conduct site visits nationally with total travel expected to be up to 40% of their time.
Compensation and Benefits
As an organization committed to creating good jobs, we walk the talk. We offer competitive salaries based on candidates’ experiences and skills, plus a sizeable performance bonus. We provide excellent benefits including full health, dental and vision insurance, ample paid time off and holidays, and more.
How to Apply