Company: Civic Builders
Location: New York City, Remote
Job Function: Lending/Loan Operations
ABOUT THE ORGANIZATION:
Civic Builders, Inc. (Civic) transforms children’s lives and revitalizes communities by building inspirational schools for students in underserved neighborhoods across the country. Dedicated to giving every child the chance to attend a great school, Civic Builders partners with the nation’s best educators to create public charter school buildings for students in communities where the need is greatest.
Since 2002, Civic Builders has built inspiring, bright, and modern buildings that give its partner schools cost-effective, customized educational space. Civic Builders expanded its business to include direct lending to non-profit charter schools and affiliates nationwide beginning in 2017. Over its five-year history, Civic’s lending businesses have invested over $215M in high-quality facilities projects nationwide.
ABOUT THE POSITION:
Civic Builders is seeking an ambitious, self-aware, execution-oriented leader eager to deepen a career in mission-driven community development lending. This is an exciting opportunity to support the creation of excellent public schools that transform students’ lives in underserved communities across the country. Civic Builders offers strong opportunities for career growth and advancement on our busy, expanding national team.
From day one, the Senior Loan Officer will work closely with internal and external stakeholders to lead transactions independently through the full underwriting and diligence process from initial “green light” through preliminary and final approvals, closing, and the transition to asset management. The Senior Loan Officer should bring entrepreneurial energy, a personal accountability mindset, and an open-minded perspective to the work.
The Senior Loan Officer will report to the Senior Director of Lending in support of Civic’s national charter school lending platforms, and will have frequent opportunities to work alongside the SVP of Corporate Development and the VP of Capital Solutions (collectively the “Lending Leadership Team”).
The Senior Loan Officer will support the Lending Leadership Team on strategic projects, process improvement efforts, and/or other corporate initiatives to be determined based on organization needs and the Senior Loan Officer’s expertise and interest, upon demonstrating mastery of core responsibilities.
- Independently lead the underwriting of commercial real estate investments.
- Manage investments through due diligence, credit underwriting, credit/investment committee approval, and closing processes.
- Handle key activities that are immediately adjacent to the core underwriting work, including such tasks as intercreditor negotiations and review of real estate contracts and/or leases.
- Employ a creative, solutions-oriented outlook on deal structuring and credit.
- Creatively employ non-traditional deal structuring options to balance unmitigated credit challenges.
- Work collaboratively with senior leadership to support mission-oriented goals while adhering to existing lending policies.
- Clearly communicate (both verbally and in writing) complex terms and structures to audiences possessing different levels of technical expertise.
- Craft a clear and compelling written narrative that details a potential investment’s strengths, weaknesses, and mitigating factors while highlighting programmatic alignment within the detailed credit memo.
- Verbally present investment memos and recommendations to senior stakeholders to secure investment authorization by phone or Zoom.
- Consistently provide excellent client service and maintain long-lasting positive relationships.
- Build and maintain positive professional relationships with prospective borrowers, stakeholders, partner organizations, and third-party service providers that will outlast any individual transaction engagement.
- Meaningfully contribute to the management and operations of one or more of Civic Builders’ lending programs, such as:
- Support or lead weekly program meetings.
- Provide additional capacity to business development and loan origination efforts.
- Develop and contribute presentation-ready content for periodic stakeholder updates.
- Manage execution and oversight of interest rate swaps or other derivative products.
- Contribute to ongoing efforts to establish and/or improve internal processes.
- Research and explore new strategies for accessing lending capital.
The following qualifications and attributes are required to succeed as Senior Loan Officer:
- Bachelor’s degree required. MBA, similar advanced degree or professional certification a plus.
- 7+ years of relevant experience with credit underwriting, financial analysis, and related operational analysis and/or related functions with relevant transferable experience
- Transferable professional experience may include roles in the following functional areas: asset management; new business development/originations; technical assistance; and/or accounting/finance/budget roles where the candidate was directly responsible for building and maintaining a budget, generating quarterly reports, and financial projections.
- The following employment sectors would provide strong foundations for this work: community development lending/finance organizations; charter schools and/or charter school service providers; affordable housing or other real estate developers; commercial or investment banks; private equity firms; and/or public finance professionals.
- Ability to proactively network and establish effective working relationships with business leaders, internal and external stakeholders.
- Advanced quantitative expertise including advanced Excel modeling skills.
- Advanced project management skills, including experience managing and prioritizing multiple projects and portfolios with similar or competing deadlines.
- Excellent professional communications skills, both written and verbal – easily communicate credit principles and build partnerships.
- Ability to build strong and effective relationships with a variety of stakeholders such as other lenders, prospective borrowers, lawyers, real estate professionals, foundation staff, etc. with diverse experiences and backgrounds.
- Personal, volunteer or professional connection to Civic Builders’ mission.
ADDITIONAL QUALIFICATIONS & ATTRIBUTES
The following additional qualifications and attributes are helpful for the role of Senior Loan Officer:
- Skill in navigating difficult conversations with stakeholders.
- Eagerness and ability to establish an area of personal expertise and ownership within a high-growth, fast-paced environment.
- Self-motivation with a strong affinity for problem solving, always challenging the status quo and never settling for how something “has always been done”.
- Ability to apply logic, reason and creativity to solve problems with imperfect information.
- Action orientation with demonstrated ability to make difficult decisions to drive results.
- Charter school or education industry experience.
LOCATION AND TRAVEL:
- Civic Builders is located in New York, NY. Our work environment is hybrid, and a remote arrangement is possible for non-local employees (must work East Coast hours). Local employees are expected to work in the office a minimum of two days per week for team collaboration.
- Travel to support originations and underwriting work (site visits), contribute to new market development, and to represent Civic Builders at national conferences as required. Travel time commitment varies month to month and typically is less than 15% annually (~3 days per month). Non-local employees will also travel to NYC occasionally for team collaboration.
- Please note: Since we care so greatly about our employees’ well-being, Civic Builders is committed to an environment where our employees are fully vaccinated against COVID-19. As a prospective new team member, you must be fully vaccinated with a CDC/FDA approved COVID-19 shot(s) to work in our offices. If you are selected to interview for this role, we will explain our vaccination policy in further detail and ensure you are comfortable moving forward with this company policy.
- Relocation assistance to New York is possible (up to $5K based on expenses incurred).
Compensation and Benefits
Salary Range: $130,000 – $150,000
We want you to be well and thrive. Our benefits package includes:
- Healthcare insurance plans including medical, dental, and vision, flexible spending accounts (FSA) and health savings accounts (HSA)
- 401K retirement plan (Roth and traditional) including an employer match
- Short-term & long-term disability insurances
- Group term life insurance
- Commuter benefits program
- 12 weeks paid parental/family leave
- Paid time off including holidays, vacation and sick days
- Learning and development resources and reimbursement
- Social and educational outings
- Cell phone plan reimbursement and equipment replacement
- Home office setup
How to Apply
Please submit your resume for consideration to our Recruitment Partner at email@example.com and be sure to include the position title in the subject line of your email.