Company: Opportunity Finance Network
Location: Washington, DC
Job Function: Financial Services
Opportunity Finance Network (OFN) is a leading national network of CDFIs (community development financial institutions) headquartered in Washington D.C. In pursuit of our mission to align capital with social, economic, and political justice, OFN supports its 390+ member CDFIs with money, strength, and voice to drive transformational change in underserved rural, urban, and Native communities nationwide. We help money flow to people and places where traditional finance doesn’t reach.
OFN is a leading national network of CDFIs headquartered in Washington, D.C. In pursuit of our mission to align capital with social, economic, and political justice, OFN supports its 390+ member CDFIs to drive transformational change in financially underserved rural, urban, and Native communities nationwide. We help money flow to people and places where traditional finance doesn’t reach. As a financial intermediary, OFN secures private capital for CDFIs through strategic partnerships with leading corporations such as Google and Twitter, mainstream financial institutions such as Bank of America and Wells Fargo, and philanthropic organizations such as the John D. and Catherine T. MacArthur Foundation and the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation.
OFN builds the strength of its membership and other CDFIs through financial products and services, events, training, research, policy advocacy, and visibility. Currently, OFN has an on-balance sheet loan portfolio of more than $150 million and manages capital on-and off-balance sheets of nearly $1 billion and has plans to bring an additional $1 billion in new private capital to the industry.
To learn more, visit www.ofn.org
People who work at OFN come from a variety of professional and academic backgrounds. If you:
- Have a passion for the mission and true believer in our core purpose
- Have courage to be a fearless advocate who is confident and resilient in our fight to drive capital into low-income and low-wealth communities
- Are a smart, quick seekers of knowledge who thrive on creating and developing new strategies, products, and programs for increasing capital to communities we serve
- Desire to be a collaborative team player who possesses humility and a willingness to lean in to support all areas of our work
OFN has an exciting new opportunity for an experienced Investment Officer to deploy capital under our Climate and Environment program to support CDFIs efforts to expand their climate and green lending portfolios. The Climate & Green Sr. Investment Officer will analyze debt and equity investment opportunities at the organizational, product, and deal levels using loan portfolio and financial statement data and in-depth conversations with organizations’ senior management teams. Expect to develop relationships with OFN’s members and work across OFN’s teams to support OFN’s mission.
Come be a part of our growing, diverse, highly committed, skilled, and collaborative staff. At OFN, we are dedicated to building a diverse, inclusive workplace, so if you are excited about this role but your experience does not align perfectly with every qualification, we encourage you to apply nonetheless. You may be the right candidate for this or other roles.
This position is based in Washington, D.C. All staff currently work a hybrid schedule.
- Serve as lead investment officer of climate lending programs focused on financing projects and community lenders’ financing programs that contribute to greenhouse gas (GHG) reduction. This includes supporting the development of eligibility criteria, pipeline, and defining funding priorities within established program guidelines.
- Prepare and present impact, credit, and financial risk analyses memorandum to program leaders and respective investment committees.
- Analyze CDFIs’ or project financial statements, lending policies, procedures, and strategies to determine the degree of risk involved in extending funds, as well as recommend risk mitigation strategies.
- Work closely with partners to structure financial terms and products that align with GHG reduction lending objectives.
- Use financial ratios and models to evaluate the organization’s current and prospective financial status.
- Actively participate in the portfolio management of OFN’s on- and off-balance sheet investments. Ensure borrowers maintain compliance with quarterly covenants and strengthen relationships.
- Evaluate and manage risks associated with GHG reduction program funding. This involves identifying potential environmental, regulatory, or project-specific risks and developing risk mitigation strategies to protect the lender’s interests.
- Generate investment opportunities by developing relationships with OFN’s CDFI members.
- Coordinate with team members to complete applications, documentation, and fund disbursements.
- Work across OFN’s teams to support OFN’s mission. Specifically, collaborate across the organization to support and inform the implementation of OFN’s climate lending program and objectives.
- As part of the financial services team, assist with the development and implementation of financial services team training, investment strategies, and investment policies and procedures.
- Bachelor’s degree or 7-10 years of work experience in lieu of a degree. Master’s degree strongly preferred in a related field.
- 7+ years’ demonstrated experience with financial statement analysis, financial modeling, and loan/grant analysis, including underwriting, is required. Experience with project finance and secondary market investment analysis is a plus.
- Demonstrated experience in green financing or lending in climate/environment related industry. Experience with financing the three following categories is preferred: distributed power generation and storage, decarbonization retrofits of existing buildings, and transportation pollution reduction.
- Experience with underwriting or managing any of the following investment products is preferred: warehouse facility/loan purchasing; project finance; equity; guarantees; participation agreements/co-lending; credit enhancements; or secured line of credit.
- Demonstrated experience writing and presenting detailed investment recommendations with emphasis on clarity, conciseness, and relevance.
- Experience with loan/grant management systems and CRMs (Customer Relationship Management software) a plus.
- A strong knowledge of finance, investment principles, data, financial analysis, and risk mitigation strategies is essential.
- Understanding of climate change, GHG emissions, carbon markets, renewable energy investments, and sustainability reporting frameworks (such as the Greenhouse Gas Protocol) is beneficial.
- Strong communication skills are essential for engaging with stakeholders, presenting grant proposals, and building relationships.
- Superior organizational skills and ability to manage multiple tasks effectively and efficiently under minimal supervision as well as the ability to set priorities and meet deadlines under pressure without sacrificing quality.
- Advanced knowledge of MS Excel and financial modeling skills.
- Digital literacy and ability to navigate workplace technology.
- Ability to work both independently and collaboratively with teams across OFN.
- Comfort working in a small-office environment and/or experience working in a nonprofit environment preferred.
- Some travel required (15% of time).
- Job involves normal physical requirements for an office position.
How to Apply
Submit cover letter and resume here.