Company: National Housing Trust
Location: Washington, DC
Job Function: Lending/Loan Operations
National Housing Trust (NHT) is a national nonprofit that has been dedicated to creating and preserving affordable housing for over 30 years. Our mission is to create and preserve affordable homes to provide opportunity, advance racial equity, reduce economic disparities, and strengthen community resilience through practice and policy.
NHT’s lending practice is made up of two Community Development Financial Institutions (CDFI): the National Housing Trust Community Development Fund (NHTCDF) and the Institute for Community Economics (ICE). NHT Lending is committed to providing access to flexible financing for the preservation and creation of affordable housing around the country. Through our unique lending practice, capital is accessible to a broad range of borrowers including non-profit and for-profit owners and developers, Community Land Trusts, and limited-equity housing cooperatives.
We focus on expanding access to capital to underserved markets, including emerging and/or minority developers and owners. We understand the role that housing plays in stabilizing individuals and families, most of who are Black, Indigenous, or People of Color, and the role of systemic racism in our current housing crisis.
The Senior Director of Lending supports NHT Lending in clearly defining and implementing its strategic goals by overseeing NHT Lending’s loan deployment and operations. This position will work closely with the entire lending team in accomplishing these goals, specifically by reporting to the Managing Director of Lending and managing the Director of Lending. The Senior Director will oversee and manage the loan in part by building and maintaining relationships with borrowers, lending partners, and technical assistance providers. The Senior Director of Lending will collaborate with team members, and may at times manage the process, to raise lending capital from mission-oriented investors, including grant writing and maintaining funder relationships. In an effort to consistently meet the changing needs of our clients, the Senior Director of Lending will creatively use their extensive knowledge of financial tools and structures to propose and implement new lending products and initiatives, often in collaboration with external government or non-profit partners.
NHT Lending has both regional and national focuses. In the Mid-Atlantic region, we operate as a full-service affordable housing CDFI, offering a full array of loan products to support the production and preservation of affordable housing where we work and live. On a national scale, we focus on financially-underserved markets where mission-focused owners and developers cannot achieve their goals without our creative, flexible, and patient capital.
The Senior Director of Lending’s primary focus will serve as the market lead for our loan deployment in the D.C., Maryland, and Virginia (DMV) and the Mid-Atlantic regions. As part of this focus, this position will lead the management of several loan funds and targeted capital sources. These include Purple Line Equitable Transit-Oriented funds, Montgomery County’s Affordable Housing Opportunity Fund, and several Capital Magnet Fund awards.
Loan Underwriting & Originations (25%)
- Responsible for deployment and management of a $10 million loan fund dedicated to the preservation of affordable housing near the future D.C. Metro Purple Line in collaboration with external funders and community partners.
- Responsible for the deployment and management of a $14 million loan fund, funded by and in collaboration with Montgomery County, MD, known as the Affordable Housing Opportunity Fund.
- In accordance with the Loan Policies and Procedures, evaluate the credit worthiness of the borrower/guarantor and the real estate project. Analysis will include, but not be limited to, financial analysis, review of third-party assessments, site visits, evaluation of experience, and evaluation of strength and probability of repayment sources.
- Manage loan closings in collaboration with NHT’s Legal Counsel and Loan Fund Administrator.
- Maintain consistent organized records of conversations, analysis, pertaining to each loan.
- Provide friendly, helpful, and clear customer service to borrowers, lending participants, and other partners involved in the loan.
Innovation and Strategy (10%)
- Create, pilot, and implement new loan products and initiatives that meet the changing needs of our client base in both the DMV and national markets.
- Collaborate with the Managing Director of Lending to create and communicate the Team’s strategic vision and goals, both internally and externally.
- Attend industry events, webinars, and conferences to remain apprised of market trends and gaps.
Business Development and Relationship Management (20%)
- Create a scalable business development strategy that encompasses NHT Lending’s wide variety of product offerings and target markets while simultaneously achieving NHT’s and NHT Lending’s mission.
- Identify underserved markets and potential partnership opportunities across the U.S. that support NHT Lending in the fulfillment of its strategic vision and goals.
- Build and manage a pipeline of prospects that align with NHT’s mission and NHT Lending criteria
- Maintain and continue to explore opportunities for lending partnerships and initiatives within NHT and with external government, for-profit, and non-profit partners.
- Clearly articulate NHT’s mission and product offerings. Regularly attend and present at industry events. Prepare marketing and PR materials in collaboration with the Communications Manager.
- Conduct initial loan screenings through emails, calls, and high-level analysis to appropriately and fairly determine NHT Lending’s ability to provide financing.
Asset Management (10%)
- Work with the Asset Manager in managing loan maturities, ensuring borrower compliance with covenants and reporting, and completing annual portfolio reviews.
- For more complex loans or unique situations, manage the relationship with borrowers and/or loan participants.
- Underwrite and seek approval for long-term maturity extensions and material loan modifications.
Internal Operations and Management (25%)
- Oversee and manage governance of and relationship with NHTCDF and ICE’s Loan Committees.
- Set realistic team-wide milestones and timelines for achieving goals. Support team members in aligning their individual work goals and day-to-day work with the Team vision and goals.
- Review, update, and maintain NHT’s Lending Policies and Procedures.
- Inform a standard impact data collection process to assist in establishing ways in which to tell the NHT Lending’s story to funders and capital sources.
- Research and potentially implement a new loan software that encompasses loan servicing, reporting, loan origination, and portfolio management.
- Support the Asset Manager in tracking loan capital sources, meeting funder compliance requirements, and tracking NHT Lending’s impact. Support in the development of impact metrics.
- Create and maintain clear cash flow projections.
- Implement, maintain, and improve internal processes and procedures to reach maximum efficiency and ensure the needs of all team members, clients, and partners are met.
- As the direct manager of the Director of Lending, support the Director of Lending in managing workflow, host consistent check-ins regarding work and performance, be available for questions and loan support and create individual work and professional goals that align with the Team goals.
- In regard to the Director of Lending and other teammates, recognize areas of achievement and provide feedback and support in areas of improvement.
- When possible, partake in team-oriented activities and outings.
- Continued commitment to NHT’s racial equity goals and centering racial equity in evaluating new NHT Lending opportunities and lending practices.
Capital Raising and Funder Relations Management (10%)
- Ensure deployment and goal completion for all existing and future CDFI Fund Capital Magnet Fund awards.
- Actively seek new and increased sources of loan capital and operational funding from bank, foundation, and non-profit providers.
- Collaborate on the completion and submission of grant and loan applications in collaboration with team members. This includes federal sources such as CDFI Fund’s Financial Assistance and Capital Magnet Fund.
This opportunity is for a committed leader with at least 9 years of experience working in CDFIs with a significant portion of the time spent working in the DMV. Candidates will ideally have significant experience in nonprofit affordable housing lending. Other qualifications include:
- Commitment to NHT’s mission, including a deep dedication to assisting low-income families create
- and access opportunities to thrive;
- Knowledge of and at least 9 years’ experience working in the field of community development lending including affordable housing programs. At least 5 years of experience will include work in the DMV.
- Expertise in financing projects using Low Income Housing Tax Credits, New Market Tax Credits, and other federal and state government funding sources.
- Extensive familiarity with the DMV affordable housing space, including existing network connections to local governments, lenders, developers, and owners.
- Strong written and oral communication skills and negotiation skills are necessary.
- Experience with investor relations/communications with national financial institutions, foundations and government funding sources.
- Detailed knowledge of real estate development, finance and affordable housing businesses; experience with data collection and analytics.
- Ability to publicly represent the NHT at meetings with major public, private and non-profit partners.
- Strong computer aptitude skills, including knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite Programs;
- Detail-oriented, entrepreneurial self-starter who relishes multitasking;
- Excellent interpersonal, organizational and communications skills, including verbal and written skills;
- Excellent planning and organization skills;
- Ability to integrate thoroughness and attention to details with a big picture, strategic vision.
- Resourcefulness, with the ability to deliver results in an entrepreneurial, dynamic environment;
- Experience working with diverse and low-income populations;
- Collaborative spirit and positive attitude (a good sense of humor is a plus);
- Bachelor’s Degree, plus additional related college courses or professional training at minimum, Master’s Degree preferred
Compensation and Benefits
Salary and benefits are competitive and commensurate with experience. The minimum, median, and maximum salary range for this position is $115,463, $154,191, and $192,816, respectively. Hiring is anticipated at the median salary level.
How to Apply
Apply here. No phone calls or emails, please.
NHT is committed to providing equal employment opportunity in all our employment programs and decisions, including, but not limited to recruitment and hiring. Equal employment opportunity is provided to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, national origin or ancestry, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, family responsibilities, political affiliation, disability, matriculation, genetic information, covered veteran’s status or any other protected characteristic under federal, state, or local law. BIPOC applicants, women, and persons with disabilities are especially encouraged to apply.
NHT requires that all employees maintain ‘Up to Date’ COVID-19 vaccination status, following the CDC guidelines, unless they are eligible for an accommodation due to a disability or sincerely held religious belief or practice that prevents them from receiving the vaccine.