Senior Development Officer
Location: , Remote
Job Function: Fundraising
Ascendus is a nonprofit small business lender whose vision is to create a world of financial ascension for all. Our mission is to empower low-to-moderate-income entrepreneurs through access to capital and business support to create and grow healthy enterprises and contribute to thriving local economies. Since 1991, Ascendus has provided nearly $300 million to more than 35,000 small business owners across the country. For more information, visit www.ascendus.org
The Senior Development Officer supports the Development & Communication team’s solicitation of $10 million in annual requests. In addition to managing a portfolio of institutional funders, the Senior Development Officer role includes a specific focus on strategizing to support the team in building a robust prospect pipeline to diversify and grow our portfolio of support.
The Senior Development Officer reports directly to the Development Manager. As a leader in prospect research and pipeline management, the Senior Officer will work closely with all members of the team on identifying and pursuing high-priority prospect opportunities. In many cases, the Senior Officer will also work directly with the Vice President of Development and Communications, the CEO, and the Leadership Team on partnership strategy and program development.
The Senior Development Officer will be responsible for achieving the following:
- Manage a portfolio of 15 existing institutional accounts, drafting and submitting an average of 1 grant request per month and 1 report per month for a total of $1.6 million secured annually;
- Research, identify, and cultivate 25 new funding prospects through prospect research, drafting of pitches and proposals, and coordinating cultivation and stewardship strategies; request at least $1.5 million in new support from prospective funders;
- In partnership with the CEO and Vice President of Development, provide strategic direction on portfolio and moves management for high-priority donors and prospects, overseeing cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship plans, in order to request at least $3.1 million annually;
- Visit with, participate in, and where appropriate lead an average of 2 meetings/calls and a further 8 touchpoints per month with institutional funders to establish contacts, learn their priorities, promote an understanding of Ascendus’ programs and initiatives, and request invitations for proposals;
- Lead the Development and Communications Team’s efforts to diversify our funder portfolio to sustain our core programmatic work and achieve the organization’s strategic priorities, including new products and geographic expansion. Through strategic, thoughtful prospect research and management of the team’s prospect pipeline, ensure a team-wide solicitation goal of $3.5 million in new opportunities.
- Communication. Strong verbal and written communication skills, including the ability to quickly produce high-quality, professional‐looking written material.
- Organization. Ability to manage complex projects involving other staff, set priorities, manage multiple tasks, and meet time-sensitive deadlines;
- Attention to Detail. Strong attention to guidance and instruction, analytical ability, and ability to manage detail with bigger picture items;
- Business/Portfolio Development. Grows contributed revenue opportunities by generating new prospects, relationships, fundraising opportunities and the submission of grant proposals;
- Strategic thinking/visioning. Able to see and communicate the big picture in an inspiring way. Determines opportunities and threats through a comprehensive analysis of current and future trends;
- Efficiency. Able to produce significant output with minimal wasted effort; and
- Flexibility/adaptability. Adjusts quickly to changing priorities and conditions. Copes effectively with complexity and change.
- 3-5 years of frontline fundraising experience with increasing responsibilities and demonstrated success;
- Demonstrated proficiency in Salesforce or other CRM systems for fundraising, as well as Microsoft Office, including Excel
- Bachelor of Arts or Bachelor of Science degree;
- Bilingual in English/Spanish preferred; and
- A passion for Ascendus’ vision, mission, and values.
Compensation and Benefits
- 100% employer-paid medical, dental, and vision premium plan offerings (savings of $6K – $12K per annum)
- Robust medical plans with $0 deductible and 0% co-insurance options are available
- Each employee receives a $1,500 employer-paid HRA card for a wide range of medical-related expenses such as co-pays, prescriptions, etc.
- Eligible for 401(k) participation after thirty (30) days of employment
- Participation in Success Share Plan (a profit-sharing program)
- Summer Friday’s
- Parental Leave Plan
- 13 paid holidays and generous paid time off policy
How to Apply
Click here to apply!