Senior Communications Manager
Company: Washington Area Community Investment Fund (Wacif)
Location: Washington, DC
Job Function: Marketing/PR
About the Washington Area Community Investment Fund (Wacif)
The Washington Area Community Investment Fund (Wacif) advances equity and opportunity in the Washington, D.C. area’s underserved communities by providing financial capital, business advisory services, and strategic networking support to underinvested entrepreneurs. Since its inception in 1987, Wacif has deployed more than $50 million in capital, served more than 3,500 entrepreneurs with business advisory services, and helped create or retain more than 20,000 local jobs. To learn more about Wacif’s work, visit www.Wacif.org.
The Washington Area Community Investment Fund (Wacif) seeks a full-time Senior Communications Manager, who will be responsible for Wacif’s various communications and marketing initiatives: shaping and implementing Wacif’s communications strategy; managing and executing Wacif’s editorial calendar; leading the design and development strategy of the email, social media and web channels. This includes identifying and implementing systemic and human capital investments needed to support the continued, deepened reach and engagement of Wacif communications. This is a managerial role with responsibility for effectively managing, coaching, and developing Wacif’s Communications team.
Communications and Content Strategy – 30%
- Serve as thought partner to the Chief Communications & Brand Officer (CCBO) and Wacif’s executive team as needed in shaping an effective, engaging Wacif communications and content strategy, inclusive of:
- Develop key communications goals and priorities that align with broader organizational goals articulated by the executive team;
- Manage process to test goals and priorities with other Wacif team members and reflect that feedback to the CCBO and other executive team members;
- Shape and share with the Communications team Wacif’s key audiences at the strategy level and at the tactical (content type, platform) level;
- Manage process to identify a focused set of key communications performance indicators against which performance will be managed, to include:
- Engagement with Wacif content;
- Audience growth, with a focus on key audiences;
- Content production timelines.
- Collaborate regularly with the Individual and Institutional Development and other cross functional Directors to ensure that Wacif is communicating to win, aligning communications and content strategy with organizational lending, programming, development, fundraising, and partnership goals.
- Cultivate a culture of openness in information sharing through open communication, cooperation, and knowledge sharing.
Editorial Management – 30%
- Develop and manage the organization’s editorial calendar, ensuring that the calendar:
- Provides company-wide visibility into upcoming, planned content;
- Maximizes forward content planning and alignment with key events including:
- Key Wacif activity launches and events;
- External days/weeks/months of observance;
- Strategically important proposal submissions/fundraising efforts;
- Evergreen brand campaigns.
- Collaborate with the CCBO, communications team members, and others to develop and optimize content governance policies and procedures, including:
- General editorial standards and standards for various types of content i.e., factual correctness, grammar, spelling, etc.;
- Content development roles and responsibilities;
- Processes for developing different types of content, and
- Related lead times and timelines for content production.
- Administer the content production process, collaborating with the CCBO and managing other communications teammates as necessary;
- Lead the development of an agenda for monthly editorial meetings, in collaboration with the CCBO;
- Manage the development, execution, and ongoing management of Wacif’s annual communications budget, in close collaboration with Wacif’s CCBO.
Content Design and Development – 30%
- Oversee Wacif’s efforts to design, develop, and execute high-quality communications content, including but not limited to impact reports, brochures, one-pager print materials, photography, videography and data visualizations;
- Assign and manage staff assignments, within the communications team and beyond, related to content development;
- Collaborate with team members across the organization to ensure content needs are projected ahead of time; work with communications team to adjust individual bandwidth as needed;
- Generate and pitch creative and strategic content ideas, by leading brainstorm sessions with the team and synthesizing the results;
- Ensure the development and execution against realistic production timelines;
- Identify engagement opportunities and support the team in developing content ideas through brainstorms, whiteboarding sessions and calendar planning;
- Manage the capture, organization, and sharing of photos and other multimedia from organizational and partner events;
- Analyze communications data from web, social, and mail platforms to identify insights for developing effective communications products.
Internal Analytics and Team Management – 10%
- Collaborate with executive team and other staff to develop and manage a process for regularly reviewing and taking action on communications key performance indicators (indicator specifications detailed in ‘Communications and Content Strategy’ above);
- Ensure ongoing communication with CBCO around hours and budget progress across communications channels, including but not limited to web development, social media marketing, and contract assistance;
- Mentor and leads the communications team, managing and providing guidance and support to team members that lead day-to-day work on corporate and program communications and bandwidth management;
- Manage communications team members, from workload management to performance appraisal, and professional development;
- Lead formal performance management process for communications team members, in close collaboration with the CCBO;
- Support the development and implementation of engagement opportunities, including thought leadership, investor engagement, and celebratory events.
- Additional duties and responsibilities may be assigned by management;
- Education: Bachelor’s degree in marketing, communications, or related field; or equivalent combination of education and/or experience required;
- Minimum of 8 years of professional communications experience, including at least 5 years of experience managing a multi-channel communication and/or marketing team;
- Demonstrated expertise in editorial calendar management and consistent content delivery, including multimedia content;
- Outstanding design and aesthetic sensibility aligned with industry best practices;
- Superb written and oral communications skills, with the ability to edit with a keen eye to detail;
- Strong time management skills with ability to plan, coordinate, organize, prioritize, and simultaneously implement multiple projects;
- Project Management and working across departments and with various stakeholders (vendors, clients, team members, etc.);
- A high level of motivation, initiative and attention to detail demonstrated by proactively taking on projects;
- A friendly, collegial personality with compulsive integrity and an affinity for team building;
- Adaptable/flexible — enjoys work that may require frequent shifts in direction;
- Interest in and commitment to Wacif’s mission of working with low and moderate-income individuals and underserved communities.
Compensation and Benefits
Competitive salary commensurate with experience. Medical, Dental, Vision, HSA, FSA, DCA, Life & Disability insurance coverages available. 401(k) retirement plan (employer matching contribution eligible); paid time off (increased with tenure), paid holidays and sick leave days, transportation benefits, and education assistance benefits (professional development, tuition reimbursement, and student loan repayment).
How to Apply
Interested candidates should email a resume/CV, thoughtful cover letter that outlines how your skills and experience meet the qualifications of the position, and salary requirements to email@example.com with “Senior Communications Manager” in the subject line.
Wacif is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes candidates from diverse backgrounds.
Wacif provides a flexible and hybrid working environment with the opportunity to work remotely.