Company: Coastal Enterprises Inc CEI
Location: Brunswick, ME
Job Function: Accounting
Who we are:
Headquartered in Maine, CEI is a community development finance institution that is a national leader in rural economic and business development. CEI’s mission is to build a just, vibrant, and climate-resilient future for people and communities in Maine and rural communities. We do this by integrating finance, business expertise, and policy solutions in ways that make the economy work more equitably.
Over 70 percent of our financing and advice go to businesses that are expanding opportunities for low-income communities, communities of color, and others who have been left behind by our economy. Learn more about working at CEI here
What we believe:
Stewardship: As careful, responsible managers of the resources entrusted to us, we recognize that our decisions and actions have near – and long-term impacts on people and the planet
Equity: We work to ensure that all people, especially those facing individual or system barriers to opportunity, can secure a livelihood that enables them to build assets and share prosperity.
Diversity: We engage diverse staff, board members, and partners who bring lived experience, community connections, and know-how to the problems we aim to solve.
Innovation: We foster creativity and entrepreneurial spirit at CEI, through our networks, and in the communities we serve.
Collaboration: We share knowledge, practices, and resources, and partner with people and organizations to deepen our mission impact.
Who we are seeking:
We are looking for a Senior Accountant who will work with the Director of Accounting and other managers to provide accounting, analysis, and regulatory support for various programs to meet fund reporting requirements. The Senior Accountant will provide leadership and guidance to the accounting staff.
- You have experience with the monthly close process and the timely production of monthly, quarterly, and annual financial statements.
- You bring experience assisting with budget development as well as monitoring results to support budgetary variance analysis.
- You bring diverse perspectives, experiences, and approaches to the team and enjoy the opportunity to work with people to seek best practices in your work.
- You have great technical accounting skills and share your technical knowledge with the team.
- You are a team player and a collaborator able to be an active team member and seamlessly back up your fellow senior accountants.
- You possess great organizational skills and process information, solve problems, and communicate effectively with the team.
- You have a passion for contributing to the purpose of lifting communities.
Some of your key responsibilities in this role will be:
- You will work with the Director of Accounting to coordinate and integrate timely, reconciled, and accurate financial statements, client-facing special reports, and analysis for CEI and subsidiaries.
- You will assist with organizational budget development and support department heads in the budget to actual reporting and analysis.
- You will work with fund accountants in budget development and compliance-related activities.
- You will provide guidance, training, and advice to accounting staff as needed.
- You will add response capacity for all external requests for information and financial data, including grant applications, national reporting entities, etc.
- You will contribute as required for all audits, financial and regulatory.
- You will work with the other senior accountant in managing monthly processing and serve as their backup.
Preferred candidates will have:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting and/or an Associate’s degree with 5-7 years of relevant experience.
- Strong nonprofit accounting experience preferred.
- Experience with budget preparation and control, compliance, management, and financial reporting in a diversified organization.
- Strong technical abilities using MS Office systems, including high proficiency in Excel and Word.
- Experience with software implementation is a plus.
- Strong analytical capabilities and problem-solving skills.
- Must be able to work independently and be a team player with effective interpersonal skills.
- Acute attention to detail and accuracy.
- Effective written and verbal communication skills.
- Highly efficient, organized, and thrives in a deadline-driven environment.
- Works flexibly and embraces change.
Compensation and Benefits
This is a full-time exempt position, with excellent benefits and generous time off. The posting range is $75,000 – $83,000 a year. We work in a hybrid model, two days in the office, and three days at home. This position is based out of our headquarters in Brunswick, ME.
CEI’s compensation philosophy is to attract, motivate, and retain high-performing employees who are committed to the mission, values, and business success of CEI. While maintaining fiscal responsibility, we pay our employees fairly and consistently relative to the market, reward the achievement of individual, team, and organizational goals; and provide an environment for people to engage in impactful, mission-driven work. The pay range posted for this role indicates the minimum and maximum we would offer for a qualified candidate, dependent on experience and qualifications.
How to Apply
Please visit CEI’s Careers website at https://www.ceimaine.org/about/careers/
If you need any assistance, please contact Diana LeBlanc, Talent & Diversity Specialist at firstname.lastname@example.org