Company: Pacific Community Ventures
Location: Oakland, CA
Job Function: Research and Analytics
Location: Oakland, Bay Area, or DC-area preferred
(PCV has office space in Downtown Oakland. This job can be largely remote, with the expectation that the team will intentionally get together several times a year to collaborate.)
Salary: $55k – $65k, dependent on work experience and geography
Are you passionate about building a more equitable society through restorative capital and inclusive entrepreneurship? Are you interested in data for social impact? Is your superpower designing end-to-end analytics solutions and translating business needs into technical requirements? If so, consider joining Pacific Community Ventures as our Data Analyst. This cross-functional role will be based in our new Good Jobs Innovation Lab, and help build our data analytics function, in service of our Business Advising and Restorative Lending product teams, using data to help optimize operations, service delivery, and propel their impact.
PCV is a 24-year-old nonprofit CDFI that is invested in the success of historically excluded communities and small business owners to build and grow their businesses, create good quality jobs that address racial and gender wealth gaps, and build community wealth for shared prosperity. Our approach is unique. PCV’s Small Business Lending and Advising teams connect entrepreneurs to the pre- and post-investment expertise, and restorative capital they need to grow their businesses to help local economies thrive. PCV’s new Good Jobs Innovation Lab wraps around these teams using applied research, product design, and impact evaluation to design increasingly effective products and services for the communities we serve.
Why You’re Needed
In this role, you will be responsible for performing applied research to inform lending and business advising product development. Our ideal candidate will be enthusiastic about contributing to the culture of our new and growing team.
The Good Jobs Innovation Lab leverages behavioral economic frameworks to drive evidenced based services and interventions that accelerate “Good Job” creation that ultimately catalyzes economic inclusion and wealth building. Experience performing research in community, and familiarity with efforts to re-think research design to become more inclusive, and less extractive, would be an asset in the role.
Our ideal candidate is someone with a data-driven mindset, ideally with experience applying quantitative techniques to measure and evaluate impact investing frameworks and innovations. This role will also be involved in program evaluation and design within the Good Jobs Innovation Lab and contribute to product innovation across our teams.
This is a great role for someone who is passionate about entrepreneurship, social justice, and inclusion.
- Contribute qualitative and quantitative analysis to PCV’s Good Jobs Innovation Lab with a focus on managing applied research, collaborative learning and policy advocacy projects to support small business success in addressing racial wealth gaps.
- Contribute significantly to PCV’s annual impact survey and analysis of small business owners, e leveraging lessons learned to inform regular feedback loops for improved iteration of our services.
- Conduct primary and secondary research to measure and evaluate best practices, innovations and interventions as a part of PCV’s innovation R&D framework.
- Support and project manage key Lab research and thought leadership efforts for the Lab and PCV’s Good Jobs agenda, in collaboration with CIO, Associate Director, CEO, and Directors team, to ensure effective design, delivery, roles and responsibilities across teams.
- In collaboration with business line leads, support the design and implementation of improved products and services to achieve good jobs outcomes through restorative investment and quality mentorship experiences provided to small business entrepreneurs.
- Lead the design and development of PCV knowledge products with a focus on digital storytelling and data visualization.
- Working closely with PCV’s CEO and Associate Director, support the CIO in cultivating and speaking with donors, policymakers, and ecosystem partners – primarily other CDFIs and community organizations – to collaborate on a shared research agenda for investing in entrepreneurs of color and low-income/persistent poverty communities for poverty alleviation through the power of a good quality job with dignity.
- Help represent the PCV Good Jobs Innovation Lab and network at community development and impact investing conferences.
- Support the Lab by advising PCV staff across teams on Process, Program, and Product innovations.
- Continue to develop skills in applied research, collaborative learning, and policy advocacy, applying and teaching new skills to PCV staff towards strengthening PCV’s capacity to help small businesses address racial wealth gaps.
Evidence and our collective experience suggest that women and people of color often don’t apply for jobs if they don’t believe that they possess 100% of the qualifications listed in a job description. Accordingly, below are some of the most important attributes that successful candidates may possess. This list is neither exhaustive nor 100% required:
- 1+ year of work experience in applied research or related role, including internships.
- Experience with evaluation and measurement in the impact investing field strongly preferred.
- College degree or relevant experience in a related technical field such as business analytics, economics, political science, applied statistics, or related field.
- Working proficiency with data analytics tools such as Tableau and Power BI.
- Excellent writing and communication skills, and ability to translate technical information to non-technical audiences.
- You are a self-starter who is comfortable with ambiguity, asks thoughtful questions, and can translate unclear situations/business requests into clear, actionable next steps.
- Confidence in ability to learn new data ecosystems and tools quickly.
- Experience translating business needs into technical requirements, and technical analysis into data-driven impactful storytelling.
- Interest in social justice, community development and/or entrepreneurship.
PCV’s office is located by the 19th Street BART Station in Oakland, CA. PCV works largely remotely and gathers for in-person staff retreats twice a year, and for team activities determined by team and manager. While team members in the San Francisco Bay Area sometimes meet in-person for collaborative work and strategy planning, this role may be performed largely remotely or hybrid.
Compensation and Benefits
As an organization committed to creating good jobs, we walk the talk. We provide excellent benefits for full-time employees, including an individual professional development budget, cell phone stipend, full health, dental, and vision insurance, retirement savings accounts with a generous match that is fully vested immediately, and ample paid time off and holidays.
We aim to be a diverse and inclusive place to work. We value new perspectives, original ideas and different ways of working. We believe that diverse views and experiences improve the way we do our work. PCV is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants are considered for all roles without regard to race, color, religious creed, sex, national origin, citizenship status, age, physical or mental disability, sexual orientation, marital, parental, veteran or military status, unfavorable military discharge, or any other status protected by applicable federal, state or local law.
How to Apply
Interested candidates must be legally authorized to work in the United States. To apply for this position, send a resume and cover letter to: HR@pcvmail.org. Please include the title of “Research Analyst” in the subject of your email.