Company: Local Initiatives Support Corporation
Location: Houston, TX
Job Function: Community Outreach
What We Do
With residents and partners, LISC forges resilient and inclusive communities of opportunity across America – great places to live, work, visit, do business and raise families.
Strategies We Pursue
- Strengthen existing alliances while building new collaborations to increase our impact on the progress of people and places.
- Develop leadership and the capacity of partners to advance our work together
- Equip talent in underinvested communities with the skills and credentials to compete successfully for quality income and wealth opportunities.
- Invest in businesses, housing and other community infrastructure to catalyze economic, health, safety and educational mobility for individuals and communities.
- Drive local, regional, and national policy and system changes that foster broadly shared prosperity and well-being.
Over the last 42 years, LISC and its affiliates have invested more than $24 billion in businesses, affordable housing, health, educational mobility, community and recreational facilities, public safety, employment and other projects that help to revitalize and stabilize underinvested communities. Headquartered in New York City, LISC’s reach spans the country from East coast to West coast in 38 markets with offices extending from Buffalo to San Francisco and in 2,400 rural counties across 49 states and Puerto Rico. Visit us at www.lisc.org.
LISC IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER COMMITTED TO DIVERSITY, EQUITY, INCLUSION, AND JUSTICE
The Houston office of the Local Initiatives Support Corporation (LISC) seeks a Program Officer to lead the Wells Fargo WORTH Initiative in Harris County over a 3.5 year grant funded term, other opportunities within the organization may be available after the project ends. The Wells Fargo WORTH initiative aims to support increasing homeownership for Black, Indigenous and other People of Color (“BIPOC”) by 5,000 net new homeowners through a set of strategies and actions developed by the Harris County Housing Collaborative. The Program Officer is responsible for leading the Harris County Housing Collaborative in implementing the strategies and actions laid out in the Collaborative’ implementation plan over the next three years. The candidate has a knowledge of community development, affordable housing and real estate development as well as skills in building key relationships. Candidates should also have experience working with diverse populations.
Under the supervision of the Executive Director, the Program Officer will:
- Lead the implementation of the WORTH Initiative in Harris County, including planning, designating project resources, preparing budgets, monitoring progress, and keeping stakeholders engaged and informed throughout.
- Assist in grant management including creating grant agreements and consultant contracts, monitoring progress, processing payments and managing compliance.
- Work with a consultant to create and manage a data tracking system to support reporting on progress towards the goal of 5,000 net new BIPOC homeowners.
- Provide technical assistance to Collaborative partners as they implement their components of the Harris County WORTH implementation plan.
- Facilitate and convene regular Collaborative meetings to discuss progress and address challenges related to programmatic implementation.
- Build and maintain mutually trusting relationships with and among partners and LISC National including community organizations, businesses, etc. that are critical to a successful project implementation.
- Assist in grant writing and reporting and participate in all required trainings related to this project on behalf of LISC and the Collaborative.
- Provide logistical and programmatic support to special events such as meetings, convenings, conferences, training workshops and tours.
- Performs additional duties, as required.
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university in urban studies, planning, public health, public policy, social work, real estate, community economic development or related fields. Masters preferred.
- Minimum 5 years’ experience with program development and project implementation as well as with issues such as community development, affordable housing, and homeownership.
- Ability to keep projects on task, on time and on budget.
- Experience leading large scale initiatives with multiple partners a plus.
- Strong meeting facilitation skills.
- Ability to work both independently and in a team setting.
- Ability to work collaboratively and lead teams with co-workers and representatives from the nonprofit, philanthropic, public and corporate sectors.
- Capacity to work simultaneously on multiple tasks and projects, set priorities for a challenging workload, and be a positive, solution-oriented professional.
- Familiarity with Houston neighborhoods is a plus.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills. Proficiency in Microsoft Office suite, particularly Microsoft Excel.
- Responsible for learning and navigating software for specific program initiatives.
- Commitment to accuracy and attention to detail.
Compensation and Benefits
LISC offers a competitive salary and excellent benefits.
How to Apply
TO APPLY: Submit cover letter and resume to email@example.com and include “Program Officer – WORTH Initiative” in the Subject line of the email. No phone calls, please.