Company: Spruce Root, Inc.
Locations: Juneau, AK; Sitka, AK; Remote Southeast, AK
Job Function: Business Development
Spruce Root is a 501(c)(3) non-profit Community Development Financial Institution (CDFI) creating a sustainable future for Southeast Alaska’s people, communities, and environment. We are shifting the paradigms of power to support localized economies grounded in Indigenous values and ways of living. Spruce Root is a team of ambitious people dedicated to a new way of working in our region; working collaboratively with others, prioritizing family and wellbeing, and honoring our ancestors while building for the future.
Position Title: Program Manager for Technical Assistance (TA)
FLSA Status: Exempt
Location: Juneau, Alaska or Remote Southeast Alaska
Reports to: TA Program Director
Salary: $60,000 – $75,000 DOE
In conjunction with the Spruce Root, Inc. team, the Program Manager is responsible for identification, development and management of projects and initiatives that improve the economic condition of Southeast Alaska. As a Native Community Development Financial Institution (CDFI), Spruce Root provides financing and technical assistance to small business owners in Southeast Alaska. The primary function of the Program Manager is to provide technical assistance to small business owners and individuals looking to improve their financial and/or business skills. This position must have, or be willing to obtain, the skills needed to assist business owners in creating business plans and financial projections, analyze financial statements/projections, review business plans for feasibility, coach individuals in the necessary steps to grow their business, and to build, improve, maintain, and execute group training programs for small business owners. This position will also assist Southeast Alaskans interested in improving their financial wellness through individual and group training programs. The Program Manager will directly manage projects, clients, partnerships and programs within the CDFI.
- Assist small business owners in creating business plans and financial projections through one-on-one coaching sessions.
- Provide high quality in-person and virtual business client support services.
- Generate new loan opportunities for the loan program through client support services.
- Oversee and administer projects, including current business development programs.
- Support the team to deliver high quality planning and facilitation of group training events, playing a key role as an expert in business development.
- Develop high-quality educational materials for coaching clients and group training events.
- Work with Spruce Root leadership to develop and implement the Spruce Root strategic plan.
- Perform related duties, loan program support and complete special or directed projects as assigned.
- Responsible for annual grant writing and grant reporting to various program funders.
- Work will require frequent travel throughout the region.
General Qualifications, Knowledge and Skills:
- Bachelors or higher degree business, finance, public administration, economic development, education, or a related field with private sector experience.
- Experience working or living in Southeast Alaskan communities.
- Ability to initiate and develop business plans, and act and operate independently with minimal daily direction, particularly in ambiguous settings.
- Managerial skills: leading, planning, organizing, controlling and administering.
- Experience teaching, coaching, or assisting individuals to understand new concepts and to create and accomplish their goals.
- Ability to work cooperatively and collaboratively with all levels of employees, management, external agencies and philanthropic/impact investment partners to maximize performance, creativity, problem solving, and results.
- Strong personal passion for Spruce Root’s mission.
Preferred (not required) Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Strong acumen with budgeting and planning process
- Working knowledge of financial statements and GAAP standards
- Working knowledge of business regulations, structures, and legal requirements
- Working knowledge of mission driven, non-profit entities
- Strong communication skills (written and oral) and ability to speak in public setting
- Experience working in community & economic development
- Strong attention to detail and organization
Position is subject to satisfactory completion of a background check, and reference check. A valid driver’s license is also required for this position.
Physical Demands and Work Environment:
The physical and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Physical demands: While performing the duties of this job, the employee is required to walk, use hands to finger, handle objects, tools, or controls; reach with hands and arms; balance; stoop; bending or crouching; talk or hear. The employee must be able to lift/carry and/or move up to 30 pounds safely. Specific vision abilities required by the job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
- Work Environment: While performing the duties of this job, the employee is exposed to weather conditions and other elements prevalent at the time. The noise level in the work environment is usually minimal. This job requires regular travel in commercial planes, AMHS ferries, float planes, and twin engine planes.
Compensation and Benefits
This position is salaried, commensurate with experience, at a range of $60,000-$75,000. Benefits include flexible work schedules, paid personal leave, holidays and retirement benefits, medical/dental/vision insurance, 401(k) retirement plan, wellness program, and ongoing professional development opportunities.
Spruce Root, Inc. is committed to equal opportunity for all persons without regard to sex, age, race, color, religion, creed, national origin, marital status, disability, or sexual orientation, and any other class of individuals protected from discrimination. It is Spruce Root’s policy to comply with all federal, state, Tribal and local laws and regulations regarding equal opportunity.
This description is not intended to be, nor should it be construed as an all-inclusive list of responsibilities, skills or working conditions associated with the position. It is intended to accurately reflect the activities and requirements of the position, but duties may be added, deleted, or modified as necessary. This description does not constitute a written or implied contract of employment.
How to Apply
This position is open until filled, and applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. Interested applicants are encouraged to apply as soon as possible. To apply, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Program Manager TA – [YOUR NAME].” In the email, please include the following as a single PDF attachment:
- Your resume
- 1-page cover letter explaining your interest in the organization and position
- List of 3 professional references with contact information and relationship to you
- Short answers to the following questions:
- Where do you see yourself in 5 years and how will this position support you on that path?
- What would you be most nervous about going into this role if you were offered and accepted the position?
- Spruce Root conducts background checks, is there anything you want to share with us about your background?
In the body of the email, please also copy and paste the content of your short answers and include your name, phone number, and email address. As attention to detail is critical for success in this role, only applicants who follow these specific application guidelines will be considered. For questions regarding the position, please reach out to Aldyn Brudie at email@example.com.