Company: Washington Area Community Investment Fund (Wacif)
Location: Washington, DC
Job Function: Grant Writer
Washington Area Community Investment Fund (Wacif) advances equity and opportunity in the Washington, D.C. area’s underserved communities by providing financial capital, business advisory services, and strategic networking support to under-invested entrepreneurs. Since its inception in 1987, Wacif has deployed more than $50 million in capital, served more than 3,500 entrepreneurs with business advisory services, and helped create or retain more than 20,000 local jobs. To learn more about Wacif’s work, visit www.wacif.org.
TITLE: PROGRAM GRANT MANAGER
The Washington Area Community Investment Fund (Wacif) seeks a full-time Program Grant Manager to manage the delivery and operations of small business grant services to our clients. The Program Grant Manager will oversee all aspects of grant operations, delivery, and workflows of funds authorized by external partners and funders. The Programs Grant Manager will work closely with the Chief Program Officer (CPO) and CEO to ensure proper grant reporting and funder requirements are met. The ideal candidate will have great relationship management experience serving as a Wacif representative and assisting the executive team to maintain a strong rapport with funders and grant recipients.
Additionally, the position will support the full range of federal, state, and local assistance services (grants, contracts, and co-operative agreements). Wacif’s small business grant services include compliance review and analysis of applications, preparation and execution of award documents, data reconciliation, compliance reviews, monitoring, oversight, reporting, and closeout.
REPORTS TO: Chief Program Officer (CPO)
- Develops and plans implementation strategies as necessary for discussion and/or coordination between support personnel within and outside the organization
- Oversees overall grants flow process, documents procedures, and manages all aspects of process implementation including approvals
- Administers all components of the grants cycle, including database management, grant documentation, and grant compliance
- Work closely with grantees to ensure the process is smooth, efficient, and mutually beneficial
- Responsible for grants database, including assurance of data integrity both funds received and grants made
- Track metrics across our various programs utilizing our grant management software that report data on grantees and grantors
- Ensure compliance – ensure that grantees are following compliance standards in accordance with government and funder regulations
- Provides excellent customer service to Wacif staff, clients, and other stakeholders while effectively serving small business’ needs
- Manages the preparation, creation and testing of applications
- Prepares reports, monitors grantee compliance requirements, process grant requests in the grant management system, provide information to staff and external stakeholders; record maintenance; and grant payments
- Examines application budgets, and expenditure reports for compliance with established administrative and financial policies and procedures
- Responsible for quality assurance and compliance of grantee records and applications
- Manage, support, and coach programs grant team; including a Grants Operations Specialist
- Work with finance department to ensure grant payments are accurate and distributed properly
- Provides customer service and technical assistance as needed to internal and external users; proactively address and resolves problems
- Works in coordination with Finance and Accounting department to provide grant information to internal and external auditors
- Performs other job-related duties as assigned, including supporting the overall goals of the Grants/Programs departments
- Bachelor’s degree in related field
- Minimum 4+ years of grants operations/management experience required
- 2+ years of financial institution experience, preferably in a nonprofit setting
- Must have a working knowledge of government (federal, state, local) grants and contracts
- High level of accuracy and attention to detail in finished work
- Possess a strong business acumen; Hands on experience working with small business owners is a plus
- Strong writing, editing, and verbal communication skills
- Strong interpersonal skills with ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships and successfully interact with people at all management and support levels, within and outside the organization, as well as people of diverse socio-economic backgrounds
- Demonstrated ability to interact and perform in a fast paced, deadline-driven environment, with the aptitude to remain flexible, resourceful, and efficient, while exerting the highest level of professionalism
- Capacity to be proactive in anticipating needs and highly self-motivated
- Fluency with Microsoft Office Suite applications and strong analytical skills are required
- Excellent spreadsheet (Excel) skills required
- Ability to identify and resolve problems within tight time-frames
- Ability to take initiative to identify outstanding tasks and see them through to completion
- Self-starter with the ability to work in a small team environment, excellent attention to detail and highly motivated to take on increasing levels of responsibility
- Ability to eloquently articulate Wacif’s mission and programs and show passion for the mission
Compensation and Benefits
Competitive salary commensurate with experience. Medical, Dental, Vision, Life & Disability insurance coverages available. 401(k) retirement plan (employer matching contribution eligible); paid time off (increased with tenure), paid holidays and sick leave days, transportation benefits, and education assistance benefits (professional development, tuition reimbursement, and student loan repayment).
How to Apply
Interested candidates should email a resume/CV, thoughtful cover letter that outlines how your skills and experience meet the qualifications of the position, and salary requirements to email@example.com with “Grants Manager” in the subject line.
Wacif is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes candidates from diverse backgrounds.
Wacif provides a flexible and hybrid working environment with the opportunity to work remotely.
We thank all those who apply, but only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
No calls please. Telephone inquiries will not be accepted.
* Candidates must be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 as a condition of employment; Reasonable accommodations will be considered.