Company: Woodwell Climate Research Center
Location: Falmouth, MA
Job Function: Finance
Woodwell Climate Research Center
Located on a 10-acre campus near the village of Woods Hole, the Woodwell Climate Research Center (Woodwell) is a private, non-profit research center. Woodwell is a leading source of climate science that drives the urgent action needed to solve climate change. Woodwell has 100+ staff members and is excited to welcome new employees to this work.
Woodwell is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, mental, or physical disability, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, familial status, veteran status, or genetic information. Woodwell is committed to providing access, equal opportunity, and reasonable accommodation for all individuals in employment practices, services, programs, and activities.
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion at Woodwell
WE NEED ALL VOICES IN THE FIGHT AGAINST CLIMATE CHANGE
Climate change is the greatest challenge of our lifetimes. Woodwell Climate Research Center (Woodwell) understands that the climate crisis—from causes to consequences—is inextricably linked with persistent social injustice. Effectively addressing either requires addressing both. The climate crisis demands that we bring to bear all of the knowledge, expertise, innovation, and creativity that we can collectively muster, and those who have been marginalized and disproportionately impacted must be heard.
The work Woodwell does—the questions we ask, the ways we seek answers, and the strategies we put forward—is stronger when shaped by a diversity of knowledge, perspectives, and experiences. We strive to welcome, respect, and amplify differing voices. We value individuals as they are, with all their differences in race, age, ethnicity, gender identity, sexual orientation, religious beliefs, language, and mental and physical abilities.
Woodwell acknowledges that our organization, and the scientific community more broadly, have a long way to go in living up to these ideals. We approach the work of improving our organization with the same ambition and commitment to systemic change that we bring to addressing climate change.
We will inevitably make mistakes, but we will continue to listen, learn, and do this critical work. We understand that this work requires an ongoing commitment from each and every one of us. We are actively engaged in building and sustaining an equitable and inclusive culture within our organization, and in fostering greater diversity in climate science.
Woodwell Climate Research Center (Woodwell) conducts science for solutions at the nexus of climate, people, and nature. We partner with leaders and communities for just meaningful impact to address the climate crisis.
This position reports to the Chief Financial Officer and is part of the finance team. This position provides support on accounting matters related to payroll, the 403b retirement plan, and the applied benefit rate. The Payroll Accountant works independently, with a high degree of organization, and maintains congenial, professional and confidential relationships with the entire staff and external contacts.
- Administer all payroll functions online using ADP Workforce Now Module, including direct deposit banking, benefit deductions, retirement plan contributions, employee salary changes, and tax rate changes.
- Serve as administrator for the 403b retirement plan according to plan guidelines: including eligibility, enrollments, changes, and adjustments. Maintains electronic contributions coordinated with payroll processing.
- Member of retirement plan committee: meets with advisors to monitor performance, reporting, and compliance. Serves as plan fiduciary and, with other committee members, ensures that information and education requirements are met.
- Record and reconcile payroll into Sage accounting software. Reconciles with payroll, general ledgers, and established benefit rates.
- Record and post tax liability from payroll transactions.
- Reconcile vacation and benefit accrual.
- Administer W2 forms.
- New hire meeting to collect payroll information (federal and state) and train in timecard system, Sage.
- Records group term life taxability.
- Provide payroll date for 990 form.
- Post part-time benefit rate adjustment.
- Prepare and manage schedules required for Workers Compensation audits and annual independent audits as related to payroll.
- Manage timecard submission, grant writing time project coding, and leave time for all staff. Maintains employee leave schedules and accruals for general ledger.
- Maintain confidential employee payroll files, current salary and salary history files.
- Track specific financial and/or participation information on a regular basis.
- Participate in continuous process improvements, suggest alternatives, and help to ensure data and knowledge redundancy.
Qualifications and Experience
- BA or BS degree in accounting or finance or related field
- Minimum of three years of experience with payroll, ADP Workforce Now preferred
- Experience working in a non-profit organization
Preferred Qualifications, Education, and Experience
- Experience working directly with auditors
- Experience working cross-functionally
- Outstanding problem-solving skills
- Experience with Sage Intacct, preferred
Review of applications will begin immediately
Desired Start Date: Immediately
Compensation and Benefits
Classification and Compensation: This is a full-time, salaried, exempt position, the annual salary range is $ $65,000 – $75,000 dependent on qualifications/experience. Woodwell offers a generous benefits package and work life balance.
Location: Falmouth, Massachusetts
How to Apply
Application Instructions: To apply, please send your cover letter addressing your experience and qualifications in relation to the responsibilities of this position, curriculum vitae, and contact information for three references as a single PDF to our career’s portal. Incomplete applications will not be reviewed. Please type PA22 on all correspondence.
Please visit Woodwell’s website to learn more about Woodwell’s work.