Operational Due Diligence Consultant (alternative funds)
Location: , All
Job Function: Investment
CapShift aims to make it easier for families to build impact investment portfolios through their trusted advisors and financial institutions. Since its founding, CapShift has mobilized capital into dozens of high impact funds and enterprises providing solutions to global issues such as climate, health, racial justice, and income inequality.
CapShift’s impact investing platform combines software, research, and advisory capabilities and covers over 1,000 leading impact investment funds and enterprises across public, private, and nonprofit investment and recoverable grant segments.
CapShift is targeting the $1 trillion charitable investment market, and currently works with many leading donor advised fund providers including Vanguard Charitable, National Philanthropic Trust, and Chicago Community Trust. Our suite of solutions makes it easy to source, diligence, deploy, monitor, and implement impact portfolios. Clients include foundations, financial and philanthropic advisors, corporations, and family offices.
CapShift was founded by MissionPoint Partners, Jacques Perold, and Heron Foundation. Other investors include leading impact investing families, and include Jesse Fink, Spring Point Partners, Gratitude Railroad, Brazen Impact, and Grantham Foundation for the Protection of the Environment.
We are seeking an operational due diligence professional to work with our research team on diligencing impact investing alternative funds. As part of the team, you will be responsible for identifying investments’ business and operational risks by performing detailed diligence on managers’ people, policies, structure, operational processes, legal and compliance matters, counterparties, and service providers.
CapShift is a mission-driven growth company working at the intersection of finance and impact to unlock the $1 trillion of charitable assets in the U.S. for impact investments into funds and enterprises. We offer a fast-paced, collaborative environment with a culture of personal development, creative freedom, and the partnership of a dedicated team. Our aim is to help mobilize billions of dollars of investment capital to organizations tackling major social and environmental challenges.
Some other details on this unique opportunity:
- All ODD work will be remote using Zoom (CapShift research team is in Boston)
- Seeking either an independent consultant/contractor or an ODD specialist firm partner with whom we can scale over time
- Seeking availability to start 5-10 hours a week as early as July 1, 2023, with preferred (not required) flexibility to scale up to 20 hours per week in 2023. Flexible to work your preferred hours.
- Ideally, this consultant would use CapShift’s proprietary ODD framework developed on best practices in the sector, although we are open to integrating existing ODD frameworks.
- Cost efficiency and flexible approach to manage work on many emerging funds preferred
- One benefit of the role is training in the impact investment fund landscape and impact due diligence methodologies if of interest, although that will be segregated from the ODD work.
- Perform fully-remote operational risk reviews of impact investments and prepare written reports based on a proprietary due diligence framework to assist senior staff in selecting, monitoring, and managing external investment managers
- Evaluating the overall quality of fund systems and infrastructure to identify risks and assess mitigation strategies relevant to the overall investment decision with emphasis on internal practices, governance structure, trade processing, employees, cash management, reporting processes and controls, valuation practices, business continuity, disaster recovery, compliance, collateral management, service provider operational support, etc.
- Assist with leading in the further development and maintenance of CapShift’s operational due diligence methodology
- Flexibility to cover a diverse array of alternative funds, across US/emerging markets, multi-asset class (venture, private equity, private credit, real asset, and potentially publics), across sectors (climate, health, education, microfinance), and flexibility to cover smaller funds led by emerging managers
- Report to the Managing Director of Research and Advisory and work closely with other groups at CapShift
- 5 – 15 years of experience in operational due diligence and working knowledge in areas such as operational control design, counterparty risk management, regulatory compliance programs, and independent custody of assets
- Knowledge of investment strategies and instruments, financial institution operations, and financial analysis usually acquired by a degree and related experience.
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written, to create deliverables to support decision-makers
- Experience in the alternatives space, including private equity and venture capital
- Familiarity with the UN Sustainable Development Goals, Impact Investing initiatives, and DEI considerations strongly preferred
Compensation and Benefits
CapShift offers competitive compensation along with an opportunity for employees to receive equity in the company.
How to Apply
CapShift is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate based on race, ethnicity, gender, religion, sexual orientation, age, physical ability, or involvement in the criminal justice system. We invite individuals with diverse life experiences and non-conventional backgrounds to apply.
Please submit your resume and a cover letter, that details your interest in the role and key qualifications or experience, with the subject [“ODD Consultant”] to firstname.lastname@example.org.