Company: Pacific Community Ventures
Location: Oakland, CA
Job Function: Marketing/PR
Non Profit CDFI
Position type: Full-time; Oakland, CA (Hybrid/remote) (in office 1x/month)
Reports to: Director of Development
Salary: $75,000-$90,000 based on experience
We are seeking a Manager of Marketing and Communications to join our team to create an unparalleled level of engagement and connection, taking Pacific Community Venture’s storytelling and brand to the next level. We support our clients through an integrated business model that not only provides funding solutions but supports their financial wellbeing through pre- and post-engagement volunteer mentoring. Our commitment to a culture of innovation is punctuated by the launch of our Good Jobs Innovation Lab – designed to surface innovations to support our programs, and those of many CDFIs in optimizing impact in underestimated communities. Key audiences for our work include small business owners across America, volunteer business experts; corporate partners; leading foundations and impact investors; other CDFIs; and policymakers at the state and local level.
Who We Are
Pacific Community Ventures, PCV, a nonprofit, mission-driven community development lender (CDFI) addressing racial and gender wealth gaps through the power of a Good Job. For the last 25 years, PCV has supported small business entrepreneurs and their communities in the fight for economic, racial, and gender justice. We work side-by-side with small business leaders through our unique integrated model: combining impact-first Restorative Capital and Pro Bono Business Advising with our Good Jobs Innovation Lab that propels thriving communities with equitable jobs, and uplifts and amplifies their voices and needs through research and policy advocacy. In 2022, 92% of PCV’s loan capital supported women and/or BIPOC-owned businesses, and 98% supported small businesses located in economically distressed areas.
Why You’re Needed
PCV launched our new strategy centering restorative capital last year, driven by themes of decolonizing wealth, democratizing access, and being restorative in the communities we serve, towards racial wealth building outcomes. The Manager of Marketing and Communications will ensure our brand and impact are broadly recognized – by lifting up the stories of our small business owners as local changemakers in their communities, the local and national community organizations we partner with to serve them – through data driven, compelling storytelling for PCV’s impact. You will bring creativity, project management, strategic thinking, initiative, and people and communication skills (oral and written), and most of all – a passion and lived experience in racial, and economic justice, inclusive entrepreneurship. You are creative, willing to learn on the job, excited to leverage technology to hone your craft – often fast-paced, dynamic, and always with integrity.
- Steward PCV’s brand and impact for key stakeholders ensuring that PCV continues to build trust in the communities we serve via robust and authentic storytelling.
- Help implement a refresh of PCV’s brand story around our integrated model and anti-oppression work. This includes establishing updated brand messages, an official PCV brand style guide with visual and written guidelines by audience/department/medium, and updating all of PCV’s sales sheets, pitch decks, and other collateral.
- Optimize PCV’s web presence and brand awareness through ownership of web design, content governance and cross-functional engagement with Lending, Business Advising and Good Jobs Innovation Lab leadership – including some coding skills, brought, or learned.
- Work with partner Communications and Branding firm to oversee our impact storytelling, branding, and communications management. You will also coordinate closely with PCV’s Communications Associate, Development Associate, intern(s), external consultants, and agencies.
- Partner with organizational leadership to optimize lead generation for justice-impacted clients, culturally competent volunteer advisors, community and corporate partners, and funders. Manage impact through split-testing and KPI monitoring, maintaining clear lines of communication with program leaders around messaging efficacy.
- Coordinate PCV’s cross-functional content calendar with local agency, including overseeing social media, email marketing, a monthly cadence of small business owner, volunteer, and partner success stories, as well as PR and thought leadership opportunities (including earned media opportunities for senior leadership thought leadership – drafting and securing the publishing of quarterly articles and op-eds)
- Support our Good Jobs Innovation Lab in their mission to build capacity for compelling data storytelling around good jobs journeys and impact management. Inform and support the design of Tableau-enabled storyboards on PCV web pages to solidify our bona fides as a data-driven culture.
- Build our organizational capacity to tell diverse and inclusive stories using a wider variety of media, including Semi-frequent videos of us talking with business owners about how they got where they got, advice, the value-add of PCV’s support, etc. social media takeovers by clients and partners; and building stronger cross promotional partnerships to amplify our resources on social media and other mediums
Qualifications, Skills, & Experience
We strive to be a diverse and inclusive place to work. We value new perspectives, original ideas, and different ways of working. You will bring a background of working with dynamic teams and projects, as mediums analytical and communications skills that you are eager to apply to complex social problems. You should demonstrate a deep commitment to creating social and environmental benefit, underestimated people, and places.
- 5+ years of relevant professional experience in a marketing or communications function.
- Excellent writing and communication skills and demonstrated experience working with senior leaders and Subject Matter Experts to amplify their thought leadership through earned media, op-eds, blogs, white papers, and digital storytelling.
- Some track record leading demand/lead generation, digital marketing, branding, and/or content marketing functions.
- A talent for big-picture thinking and managing all of the moving parts of a cross-functional marketing, communications, and development group at a growing organization.
- Demonstrated experience developing campaigns for social media, email marketing, and thought leadership/content creation.
- Commitment to and embodiment of anti-racist organizational culture.
- Familiarity with data visualization tools including Tableau is a major plus. Willingness to own a learning journey to build organizational capacity for data storytelling required.
- Prior experience with, or interest in, community lending, entrepreneurship, and small business a plus (but not required).
- Prior experience with a mix of Google Analytics, Google AdWords, Canva, WordPress, Hootsuite (or other social media tools), and Campaign Monitor (or other email marketing tools) a plus.
- Fast learner, who demonstrates humility, openness, transparency, and empathy as consistent with PCV values.
- Some experience managing and supporting an inclusive team is desired.
- Bilingual skills (especially in Spanish) highly desired .
This is a hybrid/remote position based at our headquarters in Oakland, CA. The role may involve occasional visits with small business owners and community partners around our key geographies. This role will also require participation in key small business events within California.
As an organization committed to creating good jobs, we walk the talk. We provide excellent benefits for full-time employees, including full health, dental, and vision insurance, retirement savings accounts with a generous match which is fully vested immediately, ample paid time off and holidays, as well as professional development opportunities. PCV also provides 1:1 executive leadership coaching service for leadership roles such as this.
Interested candidates must be legally authorized to work in the United States. They should send a résumé and cover letter via e-mail to email@example.com with the words “Marketing and Communications Manager” in the subject line, by August 31st. No phone calls, please. Apply now.
PCV is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants are considered for all roles without regard to race, color, religious creed, sex, national origin, citizenship status, age, physical or mental disability, sexual orientation, marital, parental, veteran, or military status, unfavorable military discharge, or any other status protected by applicable federal, state, or local law. We live our values of openness, transparency, coming from a place of yes, collaboration, and more; and believe that justice, equity, diversity, and inclusion are fundamental to our success. We are especially interested in candidates who have direct experience with the communities we serve
Compensation and Benefits
$75,000-90,000 / Yearly Salary