Managing Director, Strategic Communications
Company: Reinvestment Fund
Locations: Philadelphia, PA; Baltimore, MD; Atlanta, GA; Baltimore, Remote
Job Function: Other
About Reinvestment Fund:
Headquartered in Philadelphia, Reinvestment Fund operates nationally with regional offices in Baltimore, MD, and Atlanta, GA. Reinvestment Fund is a national mission-driven financial institution that creates opportunity for underserved people and places through partnerships. We marshal the capital, analytics, and expertise necessary to build strong, healthy, and more equitable communities.
As a federally certified community development financial institution (CDFI), our job is to make finance an agent of positive change and equitable growth. We provide loans, grants and technical assistance to businesses and nonprofits. Our borrowers and grantees educate students, support local economies, and create jobs. They build affordable housing and provide community goods and services that include access to nutritious food, hunger relief, physical and mental health care, and other social services.
At Reinvestment Fund, you will be part of a talented and passionate team of communicators and business development staff, lenders, portfolio managers, analysts, grant program managers, accountants, and policy researchers who bring their unique talents to our mission.
Reinvestment Fund is currently undergoing a multi-year race, equity, and inclusion organizational change process, and we are seeking candidates who share a commitment to advancing racial equity and anti-racism and are prepared to engage in that work.
Reinvestment Fund has a flexible, hybrid work policy across our three office locations of Philadelphia, Baltimore and Atlanta. Employees may also request a fully remote work arrangement if they reside outside of our Mid-Atlantic and Southeast offices to support “productivity anywhere.” Our headquarters’ is located in Philadelphia and travel will be required as needed.
About The Position
Reinvestment Fund is currently hiring a Managing Director of Strategic Communications that will oversee communications, marketing and branding for Reinvestment Fund in support of business development, policy initiatives, and general corporate visibility. As the communications lead, this includes vision and implementation of institution-wide brand positioning and messaging, communications strategy and planning, collateral development, event programming, and media and digital outreach.
This is an excellent opportunity for a self-motivated individual with both a team approach and systems-oriented thinking and skills to help grow and further develop the organization’s profile nationally and within the three key sub-markets of Philadelphia, Baltimore and Atlanta. The successful candidate will have experience managing multi-faceted projects involving internal and external constituents; excellent analytical, interpersonal, organizational, and writing (persuasive and informational) skills; and the exercise of discretion and independent judgment. To facilitate on-boarding and orienting a new manager responsible for our brand and organization voice, the Managing Director, Strategic Communications will report to the Office of the CEO.
The successful candidate will:
1) utilize a broad understanding of the CDFI sector, Reinvestment Fund’s institutional history and mission driven accomplishments with messaging that cohesively reinforces Reinvestment Fund’s position as a national leader in the CDFI field. They will create and leverage strategic communications, including digital marketing and social media activities, to promote organizational visibility and influence across a broad array of audiences:
- Communities and constituents Reinvestment Fund serves, such as borrowers and community leaders of neighborhoods where our capital is deployed
- Local, state and national legislators and policy makers
- Branches of the Federal government such as Treasury, HUD, and USDA
- Existing and prospective institutional and individual funders and investors
- Peer practitioners, and our Staff and Board
2) Maintain up to date knowledge of prominent activity sets across the organization’s three main business areas of lending and investing, programs and policy. Creates communications strategies and campaigns to effectively promote high profile transactions, grantmaking and technical assistance achievements and research and data analytics to targeted local and national audiences.
3) Develop and implement an integrated, strategic communications plan for programs and business lines (lending and investing, programs and policy). This includes development, curation, design, production, and distribution of messaging and content to support Reinvestment Fund’s organizational priorities as well as build awareness of its impact and brand identity. Also includes supporting strategies around impact (messaging, description, UN SDGs) and improvements to impact tracking and data.
4) Oversee program-specific communications. This includes web development for new programs/initiatives, tactical campaigns with accompanying marketing collateral, communication plans with media outreach, as well as communications to internal audiences (all staff, senior leadership, board).
5) Proactively identify and prioritize opportunities to raise the visibility of Reinvestment Fund’s leaders and experts: draft thought leadership products such as op-eds, articles, or essays for placement in external publications; prepare talking points, speeches, presentations, articles and other strategic communications materials as needed.
6) Manage and oversee several staff members supporting both internal and external communications, marketing and branding, as well as third-party consultants. Serves as the central connecting point for all communications across the organization, enabling the efficient exchange of quantitative, qualitative, and anecdotal information.
Skills & Qualifications:
- Writing and Communication: Excellent persuasive writing skills. Ability to use research, data and story-telling techniques to craft compelling narratives and reports/white papers for a mission-oriented institution. Experience developing and implementing multi-pronged, communications campaigns. Ability to edit and proofread with attention to grammar, accuracy, and consistency.
- Collaboration: Experience collaborating across multiple, varied internal teams and business units and with communications and marketing specialists in other organizations, and external consultants.
- Project and Timeline Management: Strong organizational and project management skills that demonstrate an ability to perform and prioritize multiple tasks seamlessly with excellent attention to detail. Problem solving orientation and solution mindset.
- Media: Experience pitching and placing content in local and national publications.
- Systems Orientation: Ability to create, refine and utilize a systems approach to remain efficient and productive.
- Mission: Demonstrated interest in or experience with one or more of Reinvestment Fund’s program areas including but not limited to food systems, community development, sustainability, or education. Commitment to societal issues related to our portfolio of business including racial, economic and social justice. Familiarity with finance, lending, loan structuring a plus, or willingness to receive training on the job.
- At least 10 years relevant experience.
- Proficient in MS Office – Word, Excel, PowerPoint. Familiarity with Salesforce, Mailchimp, WordPress, or other CRM, email marketing, and website platforms a plus.
Compensation and Benefits
Reinvestment Fund offers a competitive salary based on experience and skills, as well as an excellent benefits package including employer-paid health, disability, and life insurance, 401(k) savings plan with employer match, flexible spending accounts (medical, dependent care and transportation), tuition reimbursement, paid time off, EAP program, and professional development opportunities.
Reinvestment Fund uses E-Verify to validate all new hires’ ability to legally work in the United States. Reinvestment Fund is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Reinvestment Fund does not discriminate in hiring or employment practices on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, age, sexual orientation, marital or familial status, national origin, non-job-related disabilities, or status as a veteran.
Reinvestment Fund, Inc. has an affiliate, RF Impact Advisers, Inc. (“RFIA”) that is a state-registered investment adviser. To advance compliance with and prevent violations of federal and state securities laws and to avoid even the appearance of a conflict of interest, RFIA has adopted a Code of Ethics to govern certain conduct of its staff, including certain staff of Reinvestment Fund because Reinvestment Fund is an advisory affiliate of RFIA. As part of this Code of Ethics, there are specific personal reporting and other requirements and disclosures of personal financial and/or securities transactions information. For certain individuals, this reporting will extend to your household members. You may be subject to a background check.
How to Apply
COVID-19 Vaccination Update: We value the safety and well-being of our RF community, which includes staff and beyond. As such, our team has chosen to require all staff, interns, and contractors to be *fully vaccinated as a contingency of employment. *Proof of 1-2 Initial Covid Vaccination(s) depending upon Pharma, and 1 booster shot. Applicants should consider this requirement before applying.
To Apply: If you are unable to Click and Open the URL, please Copy/Paste into your browser
A cover letter and resume are required for consideration. Please complete the online application at Reinvestment Fund – Managing Director, Strategic Communications