Company: Crohn's & Colitis Foundation
Location: New York, NY
Job Function: Accounting
The Crohn’s & Colitis Foundation, Inc is a private, non-profit national organization dedicated to finding the cure for Crohn’s disease and ulcerative colitis and improving the quality of life of children and adults affected by these diseases. We fund cutting-edge studies at major medical institutions, nurture investigators at the early stages of their careers, and finance underdeveloped areas of research. In addition, our educational workshops and programs, along with our scientific journal, Inflammatory Bowel Diseases, enable medical professionals to keep pace with this rapidly growing field. Crohn’s & Colitis Foundation’s core values of compassion, integrity, leadership, collaboration, and inclusion inspire and drive every member of our highly performing team.
This position reports to the Senior Manager, Finance and is responsible for the development and management of general accounting functions at the Foundation.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities:
- Supervises, directs, and reviews the work of accounting staff (including, but not limited to, bank reconciliations, journal entry preparation, balance sheet and P/L account reconciliations).
- Provides direct financial support to various department heads to maintain the accuracy of financial data and assist with forecasting.
- Reviews revenue and expense transactions to determine appropriateness of recognition on the financial statements.
- Prepares and processes year end accounting and closing tasks in preparation for the annual financial statement audit.
- Reviews the analysis of net assets with donor restrictions, ensuring proper classification of funds, maintaining records pertaining to sources and uses of all restricted funds, and monitoring compliance with donor designated application of funds.
- Assists the Senior Manager, Finance in leading field audits conducted by the finance team.
- Assists in development and implementation of new procedures and features to enhance the workflow of the department.
- Plays a lead role in the preparation of the consolidated and individual Chapter Form 990s.
- Responds promptly, courteously, and correctly to inquiries from internal & external departments.
- Assists in the preparation of annual budget, forecasts and variance analyses.
- Assists with year-end financial statement audit and compliance.
- Other duties as assigned by the Senior Manager, Finance.
- Bachelors Degree in Accounting or Finance.
- 5-8 years of general accounting experience, not-for-profit experience preferred.
- Strong interpersonal communication skills both written and verbal.
- Strong analytical skills a must.
- Must be able to work independently, in groups and willingness to be assigned to help team members in order to achieve department goals.
- Able to communicate clearly in both verbal and written form and relate effectively with others at all levels within the Foundation.
- Demonstrate good judgment, decision-making skills, and ability to prioritize multiple tasks simultaneously and work proactively.
- Experience in Microsoft Dynamics Great Plains accounting software preferred.
- CPA a plus.
Subject to state and local law and any legally required accommodations, the Crohn’s & Colitis Foundation requires that all employees be fully vaccinated prior to the date of hire.
Note: CROHN’S & COLITIS FOUNDATION RESERVES THE RIGHT TO ADD, DELETE, CHANGE OR MODIFY THE JOB DUTIES
Compensation and Benefits
Starting at $90K.