Manager, Community Engagement
Company: Nonprofit Finance Fund
Locations: New York, Remote; New Jersey, Remote; Oakland, Remote; San Francisco, Remote; Philadelphia, Remote
Job Function: Community Outreach
The COVID crisis and the uprising for racial justice have shone national light on both the urgent work required to build a more just and vibrant society for all Americans and the potential for positive action when our communities mobilize. In most cases, these efforts are spearheaded by nonprofits, community organizations, and their heroic staff who deliver essential services like affordable housing, social justice advocacy, health, youth development, and the arts. Yet these nonprofits and the communities they support operate within a flawed, inequitable funding system that controls their access to resources, impeding their ability to make a difference.
Nonprofit Finance Fund (NFF) is setting out to change that. We know that nonprofit leaders have power when they have access to capital and financial knowledge. Our strategy focuses on helping to shift that power by changing funding and financing practices so more money flows equitably and with less restriction to community-centered organizations led by and serving people of color, so they can be the drivers of their own change.
Read about our commitment to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion here.
Position Reports to: Director, Community Engagement
Location: Based out of New York/New Jersey, Oakland/San Francisco, or Philadelphia
Department: Community Engagement
We are seeking a Manager, Community Engagement to join NFF’s new Community Engagement team. This team drives NFF’s engagement strategy in local and sector communities and is responsible for developing and sustaining strong relationships with nonprofits, networks, and collaboratives that are aligned with NFF’s mission and strategy. Learning about the communities’ strengths, needs, and trends will support NFF’s client services work, foster innovation in NFF’s lending, consulting, and advocacy, and help identify strategic opportunities for NFF to deepen its impact with communities.
The Manager, Community Engagement will manage community engagement activities to advance strong and impactful strategies and initiatives across NFF’s services. The Manager will be responsible for cultivating and managing relationships with community leaders and other stakeholders, independent research and learning around community needs to inform products and services, and implementation of other engagement strategies. The Manager, Community Engagement will develop, lead, and manage multiple work streams, including local community engagement plans, and will work in collaboration with various NFF departments and community stakeholders. This is an exciting opportunity for an experienced relationship builder who centers community, innovation, and equitable practices and is looking to grow NFF’s community engagement strategy.
This position can work remotely out of New York/New Jersey, Philadelphia, or Oakland/San Francisco. Our offices have re-opened, and staff can opt into in-person work.
There is a potential for up to 20% travel. Travel will mainly consist of local in-person partnership meetings and community-based events within the region. There will be limited overnight travel required.
The Manager, Community Engagement will report to the Director, Community Engagement who is based in Boston.
Manage community engagement projects and activities
- Support with the development of local community engagement plans and strategies for local market; serve as an internal resource on community needs and strategically prioritized issues (green energy and environmental justice, community owned real estate, supportive housing and equity in government contracting)
- Develop strong rapport and trust with community organizations and leaders to determine alignment between NFF’s mission and strategy and community needs; lead conversations with partners and community members in a way that demonstrates empathy and garners understanding of their experiences and needs
- Identify and support the development of programs and services that are responsive to and reflective of the needs and interests of community organizations; communicate the needs of the community to effectively inform NFF programs and services that appropriately address community needs, align with community aspirations, and advance NFF goals
- Regularly attend meetings, events, and conferences to cultivate new relationships, build NFF’s local and national influence, and learn about sector themes and insights; make presentations at these events, when relevant
Facilitate internal collaboration and learning across departmental staff
- Implement community engagement projects in a way that is relational and collaborative, such as supporting the Director, Community Engagement in managing conference strategy and referral strategy
- Lead and manage regular Community Calls to gather insights into community needs, including developing agendas, notetaking, soliciting team feedback, moving the conversation forward, and facilitating meeting follow-up
- Share insights, trends, and community needs with internal and external stakeholders to inform Client Services work, Marketing & Communications, Resource Development, Advocacy, and other opportunities
Conduct in-depth analyses, assessments, and sector research
- Perform initial assessments, in-depth analysis, and qualitative research on dynamics in priority geographic and sector communities; write and present memos and documents that outline key findings, opportunities, risks, and recommendations
- Connect with community organizations, peers, or other partners in priority geographic and sector communities to build relationships and gather learnings; synthesize data and integrate findings into clear, accessible materials
- You have a minimum of 5 years of professional work experience in the fields of community development, nonprofit management, nonprofit community engagement, or other relevant work experience
- You have demonstrated success in supporting community development, nonprofit financing, or capital structuring strategies
- You are a strong listener centering on the needs of NFF’s clients and approaching partnerships with an asset-based mindset; you cultivate authentic relationships creating long-term partnerships
- You have demonstrated success leading multiple long-and short-term projects simultaneously, meeting all related deadlines with the ability to plan, prioritize, coordinate, and manage your own work
- You are committed to fostering an environment of learning; you are a skilled facilitator that can convene internal groups for brainstorming, surfacing learnings, and generating alignment
- You are able to solve problems and think creatively; you demonstrate capacity to provide pragmatic solutions and have the drive to implement ideas through to successful conclusion
- You are a persuasive and passionate communicator with excellent interpersonal and multidisciplinary project skills; you have strong written and verbal communication skills
- You enjoy collaborating with team members who are working together to re-envision how we combine investments and financial expertise to drive change in communities
- You embody NFF’s mission, core values and commitment to equity
Compensation and Benefits
At NFF, we are invested in discussing the depth and breadth of each candidate’s background and experience during the interview process and using that information to determine the best offer while considering internal pay equity. The salary range for this position is $85,000-97,000. If provided an offer, NFF will determine salary compensation based on skills and years of experience. NFF takes into consideration internal equity of our existing team members as part of the offer stage. The range mentioned is the full base salary range for the role. We typically do not hire at the maximum range in order to allow for salary growth. NFF provides an attractive benefits package that currently includes up to 18 paid holidays, 3 floating holidays, unlimited vacation time off, health insurance with NFF funded health reimbursement account on medical plan, 2% match and 4% non-match employer contributions toward retirement plan. In addition, NFF provides flexibility to work remotely and access to a “work from home” fund, and flexible spending accounts including commuter benefits.
All salaries are commensurate with experience and include an attractive benefits package.
Nonprofit Finance Fund is committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion in its workforce. We encourage candidates that will help us live out this commitment to apply.
NFF is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate against any applicant or employee because of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, genetic information, age, or military or veteran status in accordance with federal law. In addition, NFF complies with applicable state and local laws governing non-discrimination in employment in every jurisdiction in which it maintains facilities. NFF also provides reasonable accommodation to qualified individuals with disabilities in accordance with applicable laws.
This job posting provides a general list of the essential responsibilities and qualifications required for this position. It does not represent a contract for employment and NFF reserves the right to change the description and/or posting at any time without notice.
When applying, please DO NOT include any of the following information with your job application: Social Security number; driver’s license number or state-issued identification card number; financial account number, or credit or debit card number.
How to Apply