Company: El Pajaro Community Development Corporation
Location: Watsonville, CA
Job Function: Lending/Loan Operations
Founded 40 years ago, El Pájaro CDC has successfully helped thousands of people start, maintain and expand their small business by offering technical assistance, help in acquiring loans, developing business plans and crafting marketing and promotion campaigns, managing employees, navigating the legal system, and more.
El Pájaro CDC has helped people from the Santa Cruz/Watsonville area to King City (the charter was expanded to Monterrey and San Benito counties in 2007) and is open to anybody who wants to open a small business. And, while many businesses helped by El Pájaro CDC are food and produce-related businesses, all business concepts are being helped, including lawyers, mechanics, contractor, small farmers, landscapers, hair salons, fashion, even musicians and magicians.
El Pájaro Community Development Corporation seeks a Director of Lending with a small business lending background and underwriting experience to lead our Loan Program. The purpose of this position is to provide the highest level of program management, fund development, team management, program evaluation and administrative responsibility for the Loan Program. This position reports to the Executive Director and performs a broad variety of tasks including, but not limited to, maintaining a borrower pipeline, managing the lending operations; providing technical assistance, and financial and business consultation and training to business applicants; board operations; preparing meeting agenda and packets; maintaining records; corresponding with donors; fund development, updating marketing materials; staffing committees/subcommittees and events; and acting as the point of contact for the Loan Program. The Director of Lending will be responsible for managing the team of employees, interfacing with the other programs of the EPCDC and Women’s Business Center (WBC), and ensuring excellent communication between the program managers and directors. The Director of Lending will provide leadership, development, and implementation of Microlending and Small Business Lending programs that aim to complement our existing technical assistance, incubation and market access initiatives to provide underserved businesses with the capital they need to succeed. This position is an in office position with travel throughout the tri-county area as needed.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Manage all Loan Program Lending and Servicing Staff to ensure effective and compliant implementation of Policies and Procedures.
- Provide mentoring and coaching to Loan Program and Servicing Staff to increase El Pajaro CDC’s lending capacity and ability to fulfill program goals.
- Work with the Board to implement the governance structure to ensure compliance with Lending Policies and Procedures.
- At the direction of the Board, operationalize the strategic direction and vision for Loan Program portion of the organization.
- Manage, develop and retain relationships with program partners.
- Build, develop and maintain relationships with other lenders to enable strong referral processes both to and from partners to best fill client financing needs.
- Manage existing and new Loan Program vendor relationships, ensuring compliance with all existing contracts.
- Ensure funder compliance and strong fiscal management of the Loan Program. Funder Compliance and Fiscal Management.
- Develop and monitor budget and prepare monthly financials in conjunction with head of finance committee, ED and CPA.
- Maintain a sufficient level of lending capital to meet borrowing requirements and develop cash flow tools to measure repayments and disbursements.
- Coordinate fund development, including assising with the identification of funding sources for both loan pool and operations, and provide updates and reports to all investors.
- Ensure compliance with all funder requirements, including the development of timely reports and program evaluation tools.
- Perform loan origination, underwriting, closing, servicing, and collection duties to support achievement of Loan Program goals.
- Present loans to Credit Committee to provide a full picture of the loan applicant and their situation, so the Committee can make informed decisions.
- Provide financial expertise and business consultation to borrowers, including making recommendations and suggestions when appropriate.
Job Requirements and Qualifications The successful candidate will be a self-motivated professional with a minimum of five to seven years lending experience and a strong personal drive to assist in strengthening the small and underserved business in Santa Cruz, Monterey and San Benito counties.
- A., B.S. or Master’s Degree in Business Administration or Public Administration or related field.
- Bilingual required (Spanish/English);
- Formal credit training, and an understanding and knowledge of loan underwriting and risk management concepts, systems, and practices;
- Experience with small business lending and microlending.
- Experience as an entrepreneur or an advisor to BIPOC entrepreneurs and small business owners;
- Proven ability to analyze and develop financial statements;
- Demonstrated verbal and written communication skills and ability to communicate effectively to with different constituencies;
- Demonstrated commitment to the nonprofit sector with prior professional or volunteer experience;
- Exceptional organizational and management skills, including the ability to manage multiple projects on time and on budget;
- Ability to make clear and persuasive written and oral presentations;
- Proven ability to produce exceptional quality work as part of a team and successfully manage relationships with diverse clients and constituents;
- Experience in fund development and social impact/community investing.
- This position requires a comprehensive background check in order to ensure continued compliance with our California Lender License.
- Management experience with proven track record of excellent management skills.
- Previous non-profit/CDFI lending experience;
- Proven experience with program evaluation.
Compensation and Benefits
Salary Range and Benefits:
The range is depending on experience. This position is full-time. Full-time employees are eligible for our benefits package after successful completion of a 90-day probationary period.
*This position is not eligible to work from home due to the client-facing nature of the job.
How to Apply
Email resume/cover letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org or fax (831) 722-3128