Company: Capital Impact Partners
Location: Arlington, VA
Job Function: Lending/Loan Operations
Capital Impact Partners is now part of the Momentus Capital Family of Organizations which includes Capital Impact Partners, CDC Small Business Finance, and Ventures Lending Technologies. Together, we work to ensure local leaders and communities have equitable access to the capital & opportunities they deserve. With a mission rooted in social impact, we support locally led solutions through our continuum of lending, impact investments, training programs, & technology programs. By joining our team, you will play a key role in how Momentus Capital is transforming the financial sector to help communities build health & generational wealth.
The Loan Officer/Senior Loan Officer position is an Arlington, VA based position on the Community Development Real Estate (CDRE) team, serving a geographic area that will include other locations in the Eastern region. The ideal candidate will have a passion for community and economic development, impact investing, racial equity and social justice. The Loan Officer/Senior Loan Officer originates and underwrites acquisition/predevelopment, construction, lines of credit and term loans in support of projects in Capital Impact’s key sectors of small business, housing, healthcare, education, healthy food, aging, and cooperatives. The Loan Officer/Senior Loan Officer may from time to time work on affordable housing transactions including special needs and transitional housing. The Loan Officer/Senior Loan Officer also helps source and close transactions that utilize New Markets Tax Credits (NMTCs). In accordance with Capital Impact lending policies and procedures, the Loan Officer/Senior Loan Officer prepares and presents loan narratives/credit memos to the loan committee or other approved Momentus Loan Administration group for loan closing and with Momentus portfolio management team for the ongoing asset management of such loans. The Loan Officer/Senior Loan Officer provides input on and supports the achievement of regional and overall Lending work plan goals. The Loan Officer/Senior Loan Officer is also involved in marketing Momentus products and programs to potential clients and is responsible for relationship management with borrowers, lending partners, technical assistance providers, government agencies, and public officials.
The Loan Officer/Senior Loan Officer reports to the Director, Eastern Region. The Loan Officer/Senior Loan Officer works closely with Business Development Officers, Loan Associates & Underwriters on loan closings and with Loan Associates, Underwriters and Portfolio Managers on asset management. The Loan Officer/Senior Loan Officer communicates with potential and existing borrowers, third party lenders, attorneys and other outside groups. The Loan Officer/Senior Loan Officer also attends regular loan committee meetings and represents Momentus to outside groups as requested.
The Loan Officer/Senior Loan Officer supports the lending goals of the region as follows:
- Develops lending pipeline by: helping to screen inquiries for mission and strategic alignment, feasibility and project readiness; identifying and responding to new business opportunities; and meeting regularly with current Momentus clients, potential borrowers, and lending partners to discuss their development pipelines and credit needs.
- Attends various industry and client functions, representing Momentus as a part of the client team.
- Maintains current knowledge of local, regional and national trends and conditions in the real estate development sector, including policy initiatives that will affect the underwriting, financing and development processes.
- Contributes to new product development including researching and analyzing market needs and analyzing credit risk of new product opportunities.
Structures loans both to meet customers’ needs and to comply with internal guidelines based on extensive review and analysis of information gathered from the potential borrower and other sources and in consultation with the Director, Head of Credit, SVP of CDRE, Programs, and other relevant Momentus staff.
- Performs due diligence review and evaluation of loan requests, which sometimes include a grant component, including conducting site inspections, analyzing cash flow projections, reviewing appraisals, assessing entitlement status, reviewing environmental reports, understanding market and operating strategy for community facility projects, reviewing organizational capacity and leadership, and spreading/analyzing sponsor financial statements, etc.
- In consultation with the Director, negotiates with borrowers on all aspects of loans, prepares a credit memo, and secures the appropriate level of approvals from internal staff and/or the appropriate loan committee with a recommendation for action.
- Collaborates with co-lenders and third party participants on co-lending and participations, respectively. In these cases the Loan Officer/Senior Loan Officer mediates between the borrower and co-lender or participant and negotiates all aspects of the loan in accordance with Capital Impact’s agreement with the third party.
- Following financing approval, drafts an approval letter and coordinates loan documentation and work performed by attorneys and other Momentus staff.
- When a portion of Momentus loan will be shared with another financial institution, coordinates the distribution of information needed for the other lender to underwrite, approve, and close the loan.
- Working in close collaboration with the assigned Loan Associate or Underwriter, guides the transaction through closing. The Loan Officer/Senior Loan Officer is responsible for ensuring that the business terms of the transaction as reflected in the loan documents are consistent with the underwriting of the loan.
- With the Loan Associate or Underwriter, develops and maintains files to ensure accuracy and completeness.
- After loan closing, provides ongoing support to successful transition to the Portfolio Management Officer.
- Coordinates closely with the applicable Loan Associate/Underwriter and Portfolio Manager as part of the relationship management team for each client.
- The Loan Officer/Senior Loan Officer must consistently provide excellent external relationship management and work closely with all internal lending and operations staff to ensure excellent customer service throughout the client’s relationship Momentus.
- The Loan Officer/Senior Loan Officer must maintain knowledge of all products across Momentus Capital products and refer prospective clients and partners to other Momentus teams when applicable.
- The Senior Loan Officer is expected to function independently and to take on more complex transactions.
- The Senior Loan Officer is expected to take on organization-wide or cross functional leadership opportunities as they arise, which contribute to the organization’s overall strategy and mission.
The ideal candidate will have these key qualifications:
- A minimum of 2 to 3 years’ lending experience for the Loan Officer position, or 3 to 5 years for a Senior Loan Officer position; experience in community development lending or mission-driven work preferred.
- Experience with community development and/or real estate lending, including credit analysis, deal structuring, underwriting and due diligence, and loan closings (familiarity with loan documentation is assumed).
- Experience in community facilities and/or small business financing preferred.
- Familiarity with federal, state, and local community development programs; knowledge of New Markets Tax Credits (NMTC) and Community Development Financial Institutions (CDFIs) is a plus.
- Proficiency in analyzing financials of nonprofit organizations and for profit developers as well as operations of community facility sponsors.
- Strong written and oral communication, including public speaking skills.
- Familiarity with federal, state, and local government funding sources for capital and operating needs of charter schools and community facilities (e.g., childcare centers, health centers, healthy food markets, shelters, social service and educational programs, etc.).
- Working experience with both private sector financial institutions and public agencies.
- Experience prioritizing and managing multiple projects, assignments and meeting tight deadlines.
- Ability to help develop innovative products for a diverse borrower population.
- Ability to take initiative, work independently and manage competing priorities with a modest amount of supervision and direction.
Compensation and Benefits
How to Apply
Please apply directly on our career site –