Company: National Urban League/Urban Empowerment Fund
Location: New York, NY
Job Function: Lending/Loan Operations
The Urban Empowerment Fund (UEF) is a subsidiary of the National Urban League. The National Urban League (NUL) is a historic civil rights organization dedicated to economic empowerment, equality, and social justice. With 90 affiliates serving 300 communities in 37 states and the District of Columbia, the Urban League spearheads the development of social programs and authoritative public policy research and advocates for policies and services that close the equality gap At the local community level, NUL and its affiliates provide direct services that improve the lives of more than two million people annually UEF is a Community Development Financial Institution (CDFI) Loan Fund and a minority business enterprise development and finance organizatioTheThe mission of UEF is to help Minority Business Enterprises (MBEs) gain access to capital, survive, prosper, grow, create jobs, and generate individual and community wealth by providing financing and high-touch development support to small business owners UEF provides small business loans ranging between $25,000 and $250,000, development services, and advocacy to MB nationally, across the service area of the NUL and its affiliates.
The Loan Officer and Market Manager play a crucial role in collaborating with Urban League Entrepreneurial Centers, business service organizations, chambers of commerce, economic/community development organizations, professional service firms, financial institutions, and others to foster client referrals and acquire loan customers within UEF’s service areas, which currently spans Cincinnati, New York City, St. Louis, Los Angeles, and Michigan. Reporting directly to the Vice President of Lending, this position encompasses responsibilities in credit underwriting while maintaining a strategic focus on loan originations and business development.
Loan Originations/Business Development – (60%)
- Cultivate and expand a network of referral partners, identifying new channels for client acquisition through active participation in community events and engagement with local organizations.
- Guide potential clients through the loan application process, ensuring comprehensive documentation and resolution of capital access barriers and loan readiness deficiencies.
- Conduct pre-qualification assessment, due diligence, and feasibility evaluation for potential borrowers, and present recommended loan structures to the VP of Lending.
Underwriting/Credit Analysis (30%):
- Prepare written credit memoranda with detailed assessment and recommendations for terms and credit structure. This includes Borrower, Guarantor, project, industry, financial and collateral assessment, as applicable, and recommendation on financial covenants and reporting requirements.
- Present loan applications and recommendations to UEF’s credit committee.
Other Functions (10%):
- Support efforts related to new grant proposals and reporting to funders, including monitoring and measuring program outcomes as needed.
- Contribute to the review and update of UEF’s credit policies and revamp the loan application process and templates.
- Undertake additional related duties and responsibilities as assigned by the supervisor.
- Bachelor’s degree, preferably in finance and accounting. A graduate degree in a related field is a plus.
- Minimum of 1-3 years of professional experience as credit analyst/underwriter or Loan Officer, preferably with a CDFI or similar organization.
Skills & Knowledge:
- Proficiency in spreading financial statements and tax returns, developing proforma financial statements, and assessing cash flow and repayment ability with independence.
- Knowledge of closing processes and legal documentation for small business loan transactions is a plus.
- Strong analytical, problem-solving, presentation, and communication skills, as well as the ability to research industries and businesses.
- Thorough understanding of financial analysis, credit risk assessment, and general small business lending principles.
- Self-starter with demonstrated ability to collaborate effectively as part of a team and work independently.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office, including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook.
- Fully remote position with occasional travel required for meetings, conferences, and community outreach.
- Prolonged periods sitting at a desk and working on a computer.
- Must be able to lift up to 15 pounds at times.
Compensation and Benefits
Salary Range: $80,000-104,000
How to Apply
To Apply: Submit your resume, cover letter, and a writing sample by clicking the link: https://bit.ly/UEFLoanofficermarketmanager