Locations: Silver Spring, MD; New York, NY; Arizona, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Florida, Georgia, Iowa, Michigan, Minnesota, Nevada, New Jersey, North Carolina, Ohio, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Texas, Virginia, West Virginia, Wisconsin, Remote
Job Function: Lending/Loan Operations
Over one hundred years ago, the Jewish community founded HIAS (originally the Hebrew Immigrant Aid Society) in New York City, the immigrant gateway to America. Supporting Jews fleeing persecution and poverty in Eastern Europe, our founders were guided by the traditions, texts and history of the Jewish people—a history of oppression, displacement and diaspora. HIAS has since helped generations of Jews facing violence because of who they were, and HIAS remains committed to helping Jewish refugees anywhere in the world. Today, our clients at HIAS come from diverse faiths, ethnicities and backgrounds, as do our staff. We bring our experience, history and values to our work across five continents, ensuring that refugees today receive the vital services and opportunities they need to thrive.
HIAS is a learning community, committed to diversity and inclusion. We do our work with integrity, accountability, transparency and a commitment to the highest ethical standards. We seek employees from diverse backgrounds and life experiences to join our teams located in the United States and across the globe. People who identify as BIPOC, people with disabilities, people from the LGBTQ+ community and people with lived experiences of forced displacement or immigration are all encouraged to apply. We are committed to building a diverse workforce that reflects our vision, mission and values.
HIAS stands for a world in which refugees find welcome, safety and opportunity.
Drawing on our Jewish values and history, HIAS provides vital services to refugees and asylum seekers around the world and advocates for their fundamental rights so they can rebuild their lives.
Welcome • Acogimiento • Hospitalité • Hachnasat Orchim
We Welcome the Stranger
Justice • Justicia • Justice • Tzedek
We Pursue Justice
Empathy • Empatía • Empathie • Chesed
We Approach our Clients with Empathy
Partnership • Compañerismo • Coopération • Chevruta
We Believe in Changing the World through Partnership
Courage • Coraje • Courage • Ometz
We Act with Courage to Build a Better World
Resilience • Resiliencia • Résilience • Ruach
We Adapt and Thrive, Continuously Demonstrating our Resilience
HIAS is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. As an equal opportunity employer, all qualified applicants will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, ethnic background, ancestry, citizenship status, religious creed, age, sex, gender, sexual orientation, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, registered domestic partner or civil union status, familial status, pregnancy, childbirth, military status, protected veteran status, political orientation, or other legally protected status.
HIAS’ Economic Advancement Fund (EAF) is an emerging loan fund pursuing Community Development Financial Institution (CDFI) certification, which operates in four U.S. cities providing refugee entrepreneurs business training and technical assistance, combined with access to safe and affordable capital to start or grow their businesses. EAF is a start-up operation seeking a Lending Specialist to join a small team focused on establishing EAF as a CDFI and scaling operations. The Lending Specialist’s primary responsibilities will include loan origination and transaction underwriting, portfolio management, enhancing systems and technology integrations, supporting new programmatic initiatives and contributing to the overall strategy and direction of EAF.
The ideal candidate will have small business lending and/or portfolio management expertise, excellent time and task management skills and values creativity, innovation and collaboration.
Note, this position is based at our headquarters in Silver Spring, Maryland or our office in New York, New York, and we will consider a remote option for applicants who live outside of commuting distance to either of our offices and are based in other states in which we are registered (Arizona, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Florida, Georgia, Iowa, Michigan, Minnesota, Nevada, New Jersey, North Carolina, Ohio, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Texas, Virginia, West Virginia, Wisconsin).
We are committed to a fair and respectful hiring process, and we do our absolute best to respond to every applicant. We prioritize communication and transparency with all candidates, even those who are not moving forward. Here’s a snapshot of our hiring process:
Step 1: Submit your application!
Step 2: Phone screen with a HIAS recruiter.
Step 3: Video interview with the hiring manager.
Step 4: Video interview with a panel of HIAS employees.
Step 5: Online reference check with SkillSurvey.
Step 6: Offer and background check with Shield Screening.
Step 7: Start your professional journey with HIAS!
Note: Some of our hiring processes may vary, and not all candidates will advance to each step.
- Interfaces with field-based staff to support all aspects of loan lifecycle from application through closing.
- Analyzes and underwrites microenterprise loans against established credit criteria.
- Performs financial analysis on prospective small business borrowers and guarantors, and interprets financial information to determine credit quality and cash flow adequacy.
- Identifies strengths and risk factors within each loan and prepares credit memo for internal loan review committee.
- Enters new loans to loan management system and coordinates with team loan closings, documentation and disbursements.
- Manages automated routines for billing statements, ACH payment, Metro2 files and e-OSCAR disputes.
- Monitors portfolio performance, active loans, loan loss reserve allocations, industry and geographic concentrations and fund balances.
- Reviews portfolio analytics dashboards against established portfolio, pipeline, technical assistance, impact and financial metrics.
- Coordinates and completes quarterly and annual portfolio performance reviews.
- Monitors adherence to loan level covenants, manages past dues and requirement ticklers.
- Integrates new technology enhancements to automate stages of the loan cycle.
- Provides training and technical assistance to affiliate staff.
- Conducts research in support of broader strategic initiatives, new products and services.
- Assists in the preparation of funding proposals and reports.
- Provides financial modelling and budgeting support.
- Supports other special projects/tasks as assigned.
QUALIFICATIONS & REQUIREMENTS:
- Undergraduate degree in business, accounting, economics, finance or related field required.
- 3-5 years of related experience in lending or related financial experience.
- Knowledge of and/or experience working for non-profit community and economic development organizations, CDFIs or commercial lenders.
- Experience with or passionate about working with refugees, immigrants, other diverse cultures and/or low-income populations.
- Experience with DownHome Solutions, PowerBi, Microsoft SharePoint and Teams preferred.
- High degree of comfort working across multiple technology platforms.
- Strong troubleshooting, communication, technical, analytical and organizational skills.
- Detail–oriented individual with ability to work independently or with a team.
Compensation and Benefits
Salary range is $65,000.00-70,000.00. This a full-time, non-exempt job with full benefits included.
How to Apply
Please submit your resume, cover letter and application to our website: https://hias.hrmdirect.com/employment/job-opening.php?req=2120340&&&nohd#job