Company: Opportunity Finance Network
Location: Washington, DC
Job Function: Investment
OFN is a leading national network of CDFIs headquartered in Washington, D.C. In pursuit of our mission to align capital with social, economic, and political justice, OFN supports its 360+ member CDFIs to drive transformational change in financially underserved rural, urban, and Native communities nationwide. We help money flow to people and places where traditional finance doesn’t reach. As a financial intermediary, OFN secures private capital for CDFIs through strategic partnerships with leading corporations such as Google and Twitter, mainstream financial institutions such as Bank of America and Wells Fargo, and philanthropic organizations such as the John D. and Catherine T. MacArthur Foundation and the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation.
OFN builds the strength of its membership and other CDFIs through financial products and services, events, training, research, policy advocacy, and visibility. Currently, OFN has an on-balance sheet loan portfolio over $160 million and manages capital on-and off-balance sheets of nearly $1 billion, and has plans to bring an additional $1 billion in new private capital to the industry.
To learn more, visit: https://www.ofn.org/People who work at OFN come from a variety of professional and academic backgrounds. If you:
- Have a passion for the mission and true believer in our core purpose
- Have courage to be a fearless advocate who is confident and resilient in our fight to drive capital into low-income and low-wealth communities
- Are a smart, quick seekers of knowledge who thrive on creating and developing new strategies, products, and programs for increasing capital to communities we serve
- Desire to be a collaborative team player who possesses humility and a willingness to lean in to support all areas of our work
OFN is looking for a savvy and experienced Investment Officer who can drive the expansion of member CDFIs’ participation in the Bond Guarantee Program (“BGP”), a federal credit program within the Department of Treasury and performing evaluations for new investments into member CDFIs. The Investment Officer will analyze primarily debt investment opportunities and structure multi-party Bond Issuances for CDFIs using loan portfolio and financial statement data, and in-depth conversations with organizations’ senior management teams.
Through quarterly monitoring of existing borrowers and attending conferences and events, they will develop relationships with OFN’s CDFI members and work across OFN’s teams to support OFN’s mission. Use your talent to Invest in Change!
Come be a part of our growing, diverse, highly committed, skilled, and collaborative staff. At OFN, we are dedicated to building a diverse, inclusive workplace, so if you are excited about this role but your experience does not align perfectly with every qualification, we encourage you to apply nonetheless. You may be the right candidate for this or other roles.
This position is based in Washington, D.C. All staff currently work a hybrid schedule.
- Source eligible CDFIs and structure high quality multi-party bond issuances.
- Work in partnership with the SVP, Investment and Network Operations to expand access and eligibility to the BGP.
- Guide and support CDFIs in the completion of their BGP applications, including balance sheet analysis, credit structuring, and negotiating loan terms.
- Understand BGP regulations and educate potential and current participants on the programs structure, credit and compliance requirements, and benefits.
- Generate loan and investment opportunities by developing relationships with OFN’s CDFI members.
- Prepare and present credit and financial risk analyses memorandums to OFN senior leadership and respective investment committees.
- Analyze CDFIs’ financial statements, loan portfolios, lending policies and procedures, management teams, and strategies to determine the degree of risk involved in extending credit, as well as recommend risk mitigation strategies.
- Identify and recommend best practices to OFN members.
- Generate financial ratios and models to evaluate borrowers’ current and prospective financial status.
- Manage the review and follow-up process of the BGP’s quarterly financial and compliance reporting and support OFN BGP borrowers with timely, clean, and error-free report submissions.
- Coordinate with team members to complete loan closings.
- As part of the financial services team, assist with the development and implementation of investment strategies and investment policies and procedures.
- Support OFN’s Financial Services team in lending and portfolio management activities as well as BGP responsibilities.
- Bachelor’s Degree or 5-7 years direct work experience in lieu of degree.
- 7+ years demonstrated experience with financial statement analysis, financial modeling, and credit analysis, including underwriting, is required.
- 5+ years of experience working at in the CDFI sector or in community development finance is preferred.
- Demonstrated experience writing and presenting detailed investment recommendations with emphasis on clarity, conciseness, and relevance.
- Experience with loan management systems and CRMs (Customer Relationship Management software such as Salesforce) a plus.
- Be a strong team contributor, effective and comfortable in leading as well as supporting roles within teams.
- Solid understanding of accounting principles with the ability to think strategically, creatively, and tactically and apply knowledge in assessing risk and performing balance sheet analysis.
- Demonstrated leadership ability with superior interpersonal skills and ability to work well with diverse constituents.
- Superior organizational skills and ability to manage multiple tasks effectively and efficiently under minimal supervision as well as ability to set priorities and meet deadlines under pressure without sacrificing quality.
- Understanding of loan documentation and risk mitigation strategies.
- Digital literacy and ability to navigate workplace technology.
- Ability to work both independently and collaboratively with teams across OFN.
- Comfort working in a small-office environment and/or experience working in a nonprofit environment preferred.
- Some travel required (15% of time).
- Job involves normal physical requirements for an office position.
How to Apply
Complete the application and submit your cover letter and resume here.