Company: Opportunity Finance Network
Location: Washington, DC
Job Function: Intern/Work Study
OFN is a leading national network of CDFIs (community development financial institutions) headquartered in Washington D.C. In pursuit of our mission to align capital with social, economic, and political justice, OFN supports its 370+ member CDFIs with money, strength, and voice to drive transformational change in underserved rural, urban, and Native communities nationwide. We help money flow to people and places where traditional finance doesn’t reach. As a financial intermediary, OFN secures private capital for CDFIs through strategic partnerships with leading corporations such as Google and Twitter, mainstream financial organizations such as Bank of America and Wells Fargo, and philanthropic organizations such as the John D. and Catherine T. MacArthur Foundation and the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation.
OFN builds the strength of its membership and other CDFIs through financial products and services, events, training, research, policy advocacy, and visibility. Currently OFN has an on-balance sheet loan portfolio of $160 million and manages capital on-and off-balance sheet of nearly $1 billion and has plans to bring an additional $1 billion in new private capital to the industry.
To learn more, visit www.ofn.org
People who work at OFN come from a variety of professional and academic backgrounds. Be a part of our growing diverse, highly committed, skilled, and collaborative staff who are guided by the following values:
- Passion for the mission and true believer in our core purpose.
- Courage to be a fearless advocate who is confident and resilient in our fight to drive capital into low-income communities.
- Smart, quick seekers of knowledge who thrive on creating and developing new strategies, products, and programs for increasing capital to communities we serve.
- Desire to be a collaborative team player who possesses humility and a willingness to lean in all areas of our work.
This position is primarily responsible for assisting OFN’s Financial Services team. As a summer intern you will learn about nonprofit finance and its role in the broader impact investing sector, investment analysis and portfolio management, and government programs that support underserved communities. You will also gain hands on experience analyzing nonprofit financial statements, underwriting and monitoring debt investments, and working with legal investment documents. This position will work with and report directly to a Sr. Credit Analyst.
- Analyze quarterly and audited annual financial statements.
- Assist in the preparation of portfolio monitoring memos.
- Monitor and analyze investor compliance reporting.
- Participate in calls with borrower’s senior management teams.
- Support the Financial Services team with additional assignments as needed.
- Participate in special projects as needed.
- Enrolled in, or hold a degree from, a program in business, economics, public policy or related area of study.
- Completion or enrollment in relevant finance or accounting coursework is required.
- Ability to work 40 hours per week.
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment with multiple and varied assignments.
- Strong writing ability, and quantitative and qualitative analytical skills.
- Unwavering attention to detail and ownership of work.
- Commitment to OFN’s mission.
- Ability to work independently or in team environment as required.
- Comfortable working in a small-office environment.
- Ability to manage multiple tasks effectively and efficiently under moderate supervision.
- Job involves normal physical requirements for an office position.
This is a paid internship and based out of our Washington, D.C. office. The internship period is from early January through May 2023. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
How to Apply
To apply, submit a letter of interest (cover letter) and a resume here.