Company: Civic Builders
Location: New York, NY
Job Function: Business Development
Civic Builders is the nation’s leading nonprofit lender and developer, bringing high-quality education to under-resourced communities through the development of public charter schools. Since 2002, Civic has supported the growth of 80 schools nationwide educating more than 40,000 students annually. Civic offers school facility development services, access to low-cost capital, and strategic advisory services to public charter schools. Our portfolio represents $1.45 billion invested into economically distressed communities to ensure access to safe, positive, and student-centered learning environments.
Commitment to Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, and Racial Justice
Civic Builders believes that diversity, in all its forms, enriches society and our organization. Because we support students in the highest-need neighborhoods, we have a particular charge to understand our schools and their communities. When our staff, board, and partners reflect, value and embrace the voices and perspectives of those most impacted by what we do, we have a deeper understanding and connection to their needs and more effectively achieve our aspiration of improving lives, revitalizing communities, and helping children receive the education they deserve.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer
Civic Builders is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes candidates from diverse backgrounds and perspectives. Civic Builders provides employees with a safe and welcoming environment free of discrimination and harassment.
As an equal opportunity employer, we prohibit any unlawful discrimination against a job applicant on the basis of their race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, national origin, family or parental status, disability, age, veteran status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate.
We are seeking a highly skilled and experienced Head of Real Estate to join our team. In this role, you will be responsible for deepening Civic’s relationships in the Northeast charter sector, identifying charter school leaders and teams who are seeking permanent facilities, and matching those excellent educators with the right real estate for their school buildings. Your expertise in real estate business development, particularly in the context of working with school leaders or nonprofit leaders to grow understanding and awareness on the development process will play a critical role in launching school projects. A successful candidate will combine technical expertise on site search and deal development along with the relationship building and technical assistance required to get a school project to ‘yes!’. This position will play an integral role in expanding our reach and fulfilling our mission of providing high-quality education to students.
- Identify and engage with charter school leaders who are actively seeking permanent school facilities or buildings.
- Develop a deep understanding of the charter school landscape, including an understanding of the unique needs, regulations, and funding mechanisms associated with charter schools.
- Build and nurture strong, ongoing relationships with charter school leaders, school administrators, and key stakeholders in the education sector.
- Work closely with school leaders to understand their specific requirements, preferences, and budget constraints for school facilities.
- Collaborate with school teams, including school leaders and school Board members, to align real estate strategies with educational objectives and operational requirements.
- Continuously monitor market trends, demographic changes, and policy developments that may impact the charter school sector and real estate opportunities.
- Stay updated on industry trends, regulations, government programs, incentives, and funding sources to support charter school real estate initiatives, and provide strategic recommendations to enhance our organization’s real estate portfolio.
- Represent the organization in industry events, conferences, and community meetings to raise awareness, build partnerships, and promote the organization’s expertise in charter school real estate development.
- Work with leadership and key stakeholders to evolve Civic’s product offerings to be in line with school needs and gaps in markets
- Develop key business development messaging and collateral, in collaboration with marketing team, such as pitch decks and 1-pagers to guide business development meetings with stakeholders.
Real Estate Development
- Lead the coordination and oversight of opportunities to move them into development.
- Identify, assess, and negotiate potential real estate opportunities for charter school buildings or charter school facilities.
- Develop and maintain relationships with real estate brokers, property owners, developers, and other key stakeholders in the real estate industry.
- Establish a strong market position by leveraging market research, industry knowledge, and networking opportunities to identify potential real estate opportunities for charter schools.
- Collaborate with community organizations, government agencies, and nonprofit partners to explore innovative solutions and leverage resources for real estate development projects.
- Collaborate with colleagues from your team with real estate finance and construction expertise to package opportunities to school leaders and guide conversations/meetings to gain buy-in and sign-off for deal development.
- Assess financial project feasibility for both school leaders and Civic and understand the intersection between finance, construction and occupancy costs.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent combination of education, training, and experience in Real Estate, Urban Planning, Business Administration, or a related field.
- 8+ years of experience in real estate business development, preferably with a focus on the charter school sector and/or identifying and securing properties for educational purposes.
- Knowledge of local real estate markets, zoning regulations, building codes, and land use policies within the New York City metro area is preferred.
- Strong leadership skills and ability to successfully manage, develop and motivate a team to achieve performance.
- Proven entrepreneurial instincts and the desire to seek innovative solutions to complex challenges; ability to manage competing projects and work streams under tight deadlines.
- Demonstrated record of exceptional relationship management and customer service at the board and executive team levels; exceptional interpersonal skills to build strong ties with internal and external stakeholders and collaborate across diverse teams.
- Strategic thinking and analytical skills to identify viable real estate business development opportunities, assess financial feasibility, and make sound decisions.
- Strong problem-solving abilities, adaptability, and a proactive approach to overcoming challenges in real estate development.
- Experience working with or in the educational sector; charter school experience is a plus
- Passion about Civic’s mission to support high-quality education options for under-resourced communities.
- Google Suite (Google Drive, Docs, Slides and Sheets) a plus
Compensation and Benefits
- Civic is located in New York, NY and has a hybrid, collaborative work environment. Local team members, and the Head of Real Estate, work two days in our NYC office with telework the rest of the week.
- The salary range for this role is $140,000-180,000, commensurate with experience.
- We want you to be well and thrive. Our excellent benefits package includes medical, dental, and vision coverage, up to 4% employer match 401(k), and generous PTO.
- Additional benefits and perks include flexible spending accounts (FSA) and health savings accounts (HSA), short-term & long-term disability insurances, group term life insurance, commuter benefits program, 12 weeks paid parental/family leave, cell phone plan reimbursement and equipment replacement, professional development reimbursement, home office setup, and social and educational outings.
How to Apply
We encourage you to apply even if your experience is not a 100% match with the job description; we will consider people from a variety of backgrounds and career experiences. Please apply on: https://civicbuilders.applytojob.com/apply/rklEkwAP7d/Head-Of-Real-Estate?source=OFN