Locations: Remote, All; Albuquerque, NM
Job Function: Grant Writer
DreamSpring is a nonprofit community lender dedicated to eliminating systemic wealth inequities and accelerating the economic inclusion and strength of underserved communities. Founded in 1994, the organization, which operates in 26 states, provides rapid access to capital and customized wrap-around support to the most vulnerable small business owners, focusing on communities including people of color, women, low- to moderate-income earners, people with disabilities, and start-ups. To date, DreamSpring has issued more than 42,000 loans totaling over $465 million to small businesses that support an estimated 72,000 jobs. Learn more at dreamspring.org.
DreamSpring benefits include:
- Remote, Hybrid, & Flexible Work Options
- Health Insurance – 100% Paid Employee Coverage and a Buy-Up Plan Option
- Dental & Vision Coverage
- Employer-Paid Health Reimbursement Account (HRA) to help towards out of pocket costs
- Flexible Spending Account and Dependent Care Spending Account Benefits
- 100% Paid Long-Term Disability Plan and Accidental Death & Dismemberment
- SIMPLE IRA Retirement Match 3%
- Paid Time Off – 12 Paid Holidays; 12 Paid Sick Days; 3 Personal Days, 1 Wellness Day; Starting 10 Days of Vacation (with increasing accrual schedule with tenure) and 4 Weeks of Paid Sabbatical every 7 years of service
- Annual Company Retreat Event, Bring Pets to Work, In-Office Snacks, Seasonal Half-Day Fridays
To learn more about working for DreamSpring visit our Guide Here.
Under general supervision of the Director Operational Systems, identifies and prepares proposals for grant opportunities and submits funding proposals for timely consideration. Ensures that proposals submitted to granting agencies adhere to federal, state and agency guidelines. Prepares the timely submission of reports to granting agencies to ensure compliance. Maintains confidentiality of all privileged information.
This is a full-time position. Days and hours of work are normally Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 5 p.m. with a 1-hour lunch.
NOTE: DreamSpring may unilaterally change the requirements of this job description at any time. To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. These include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Completes the writing of compelling and successful grant and funding requests that result in significant funding for the organization.
- Researches topics, including gathering and sorting source and background materials; consults with various personnel to clarify details of source materials; provides data as required.
- Prepares and compiles all components of each grant submission, ensuring that the proposal is formatted, packaged, and submitted in accordance with granting agency requirements.
- Ensures compliance with grant requirements.
- Maintains specialized databases and systems for recording and tracking grant proposals, awards, and related statistical information; creates and distributes standard and special reports, studies, summaries, and analyses, as required.
- Prepares and submits grant reports to private granting agencies on a timely basis.
- Supports the preparation and submission of grant reports to public granting agencies as requested.
- Uses project management techniques to research and plan proposals for continuous fundraised dollars. Manages timelines to ensure milestones and deliverables are completed within schedule.
- Develops and prepares reports for Advancement department.
- Maintains currency of knowledge of grant funding policies, regulations, and procedures; disseminates and/or presents changes to departments and advises on the implementation of changes, and on the impact of changes on funded operations.
- Supports production of printed promotional and informational materials, to include annual reports, newsletters, press releases, special correspondence, media announcements, award submissions, columns, brochures, and flyers.
- Maintains confidentiality of all privileged information.
- Contributes to a team effort and accomplishes related results as required.
- Performs other duties as required.
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- High School Diploma or Equivalent
- Excellent writing skills and attention to detail.
- Excellent time-management skills and timely work habits.
- Intermediate to advanced skill level in Microsoft Office or similar software applications.
- Ability to use office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets and fax/scan machines.
- Knowledge of applicable federal and state laws, regulations, and requirements.
- Knowledge of communication principles and techniques.
- Knowledge of grant funding policies and procedures and applicable local, state, and federal regulations.
- Knowledge of federal, state and/or community funding sources and mechanisms.
- Skill in organizing resources and establishing priorities.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills and the ability to work effectively with a wide range of constituencies in a diverse community.
- Excellent writing, proofreading, and editing skills.
- Skill in operating business computers and office machines.
- Ability to work independently.
- Ability to seek, develop and produce grants and other proposals.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
- Ability to analyze information and to conduct research for preparation of reports and proposals.
- Ability to prepare reports: to edit, organize and present clearly and concisely, verbal and written reports of findings and recommendations.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Must be able to successfully pass a pre-employment drug/alcohol screen and background investigation.
- Must have a good driving record, valid, driver’s license, vehicle insurance and a reliable vehicle.
Preferred Qualifications: The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Journalism, Marketing, Administration, Public Relations, Communication or related field.
- Three years of experience in grant compliance, grant writing, or related field.
- Bilingual ability in English and Spanish preferred.
- Ability to demonstrate passion around the work of DreamSpring.
- Ability to recognize and appreciate the pioneering spirit.
- All actions, behavior and results have integrity.
- Holds oneself and others accountable for behavior, actions and results.
- Demonstrates consistency in values, principles and work ethic.
- Willingness to take on new challenges, responsibilities, and assignments.
- Able to work with a diverse group of people.
- Professional appearance and manner.
Working Conditions and Physical Effort: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Will have some repetitive hand and arm motions and prolonged periods of sitting.
- While performing the duties of this job the employee is regularly required to sit, stand, walk, talk, listen, reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl.
- This position requires frequent manual dexterity in combination with eye/hand coordination such as keyboarding and handling of equipment.
- Specific vision abilities required by this position include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, and the ability to adjust focus.
- The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually low to moderate.
- Ability to be on a web camera/computer screen and remain on screen for extended periods for virtual meetings.
- Work is generally performed in an office setting (in-person and/or remote). Some travel may be required.
Compensation and Benefits
The salary range is $22 – $28+ per hour depending upon years of relevant experience and education.
How to Apply
**Thank you for your interest in a DreamSpring position. To ensure the validity of communications, please make sure that any messages claiming to be from a DreamSpring representative originate from a DreamSpring.org email address. If you believe you have received a fraudulent message, please report it to the third-party employment site and apply directly on DreamSpring’s Careers Page (https://dreamspring.applytojob.com/). We will never ask for your banking information as part of the application process. We look forward to reviewing your application. **
Please let us know how we can make our job interviews or application formatting accessible to your needs by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
DreamSpring is an equal opportunity employer. At DreamSpring, we are committed to providing an environment of mutual respect where equal employment opportunities are available to all applicants and teammates without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, marital status, military and veteran status, and any other characteristic protected by applicable law. DreamSpring believes that diversity and inclusion among our teammates is critical to our success.