Locations: Portland, OR; Bend, OR; Astoria, OR; Seattle, WA; Port Angeles, WA; Walla Walla, WA; Spokane, WA
Job Function: Grant Writer
Craft3 is a nonprofit Community Development Financial Institution (CDFI) with a mission to strengthen economic, ecological, and family resilience throughout Oregon and Washington communities. We do this by providing loans to entrepreneurs, nonprofits, individuals, including those without access to traditional financing. We then complement these financial resources with our expertise, professional connections and other advocacy for our clients. Learn more at www.craft3.org.
Craft3 employees are creative thinkers and doers – hardworking, innovative, and flexible – who are passionate about our mission. Craft3 recognizes that diverse staff and perspectives advance our mission and help our organization thrive and grow. A diverse team also allows us to approach situations with nuance and develop unique insights to our clients and partners. We actively recruit, develop, and retain talented people from diverse backgrounds and support everyone in being exactly who they are. As a result, we encourage all candidates with diverse perspectives and background to apply regardless of whether you meet all the requirements of the job description. Please contact us if you need accommodation to participate in the application or interview process.
The Grants Manager is responsible for developing and driving the cost-effective implementation of grant fundraising strategies that achieve and advance the overall resource development goals for Craft3. Duties include the identification of mission and strategically aligned grant opportunities from diverse financial partners (foundations, government agencies, banks, and other corporations), development of grant proposals, cultivation and management of grantor relationships, and support to Craft3’s Compliance Team in reporting on deliverables of grant agreements. This position will have an annual fundraising goal to support revenue generation for the company. The projected average grant revenue is $11 million annually during 2023-2027. Typical grant application and award sizes range from $100,000 to $10 million.
The Grants Manager works closely with the Development Director, Development Associate and a broader Development Team of executive leadership and business unit directors. They also work with the Compliance Team on grant reporting and requirements, and other business unit leaders and subject matter experts across the company to capitalize innovative and impactful loan products and activities. And because the Development business unit is focused on a variety of tools to support these products – grants and donations, loans and investments, credit enhancements, tax credits, and off-balance sheet fund management – the Grants Manager will have the opportunity to learn about and leverage these tools in the cultivation of grants and donations
Organizational Mission, Strategy, and Business Operations
- Develop and maintain a thorough understanding of Craft3’s vision, strategies, and products and services.
- Develop and maintain fluency around Craft3 business operations, including financial position and activities and asset composition and quality.
- Gain and maintain knowledge of the field of CDFIs and community lenders, regionally and nationally.
Development, Funders, Research and Analysis
- Lead the continuous development and implementation of Craft3’s grant fundraising strategy.
- Identify and champion diverse grant funding opportunities and prospects that align with and fulfill Craft3’s organizational strategies and business operations.
- Lead the preparation of operating and loan capital grant applications, from diverse funders, including foundations, governments, and banks and other corporations through writing, research, data analysis, with support from Development Associate.
- Achieve or exceed annual fundraising goals tied to budgeted grant-related revenue projections.
- Lead cultivation and relationship management meetings/calls with prospective and existing grantors and donors to attract and maintain financial support; may require periodic regional travel.
- Lead due diligence meetings/calls during grantor review processes; partner with Development Associate to deliver documentation and responses to grantor inquiries, often involving consultation with various departments.
- Partner with Development Associate to organize and deliver closing documentation to grantors.
- Manage award negotiations for approved grants, as applicable, with support from Development Director.
- Contribute to developing and, if adopted, implementing a prospective donor/ donation strategy to further diversify Craft3’s sources of contributed revenue, in partnership with Development Director and Development Associate.
- Partner with Development Associate to coordinate grantor site visits, as needed.
- Collaborate with the Compliance Team in the development of interim and final reports on grants and investments.
- Actively participate in Development Team meetings, which includes providing reports, leading discussion topics, and presenting and making recommendations of unplanned grant opportunities to pursue.
Development Systems and Processes
- Maintain grant cultivations in Development Pipeline CRM database and following award agreement transfer pipeline records to Funder Compliance CRM database and work with Compliance to support the award onboarding process.
- Develop and update documentation of grant-related policies and procedures.
- Utilize and help to maintain organization of Development Team SharePoint Site content, including document libraries for collaborative proposals, standard application attachments, etc.
- Coordinate with Marketing Director and Content Writer to develop and package marketing materials and PowerPoint presentations or slide decks for funder communications, meetings and speaking engagements.
- Collaborate with Marketing Director and Content Writer to develop Development-related announcements and other content for social media outlets, Annual Report, Annual Investor Report, Quarterly Investor Newsletters, and other materials.
Cross Team Development
- Collaborate with other Craft3 departments to streamline systems and processes.
- Assist in creating or delivering training to new staff members as appropriate.
- Participate fully with all members of the Craft3 team.
- Contribute to the body of knowledge, sharing best practices and suggest process improvement ideas.
Culture and Brand Management
- Support the organization’s All Team Performance Standards; Companywide Competencies.
- Support Management and Supervisors Priorities Agreement; Collaboration, Behaviors, Accountability and Compliance.
- Demonstrate stewardship for the Craft3 Brand.
The ideal candidate will be able to demonstrate the following:
- Passion for serving and working effectively in diverse communities across the Pacific Northwest.
- Appreciation for and ability to advance Craft3’s business model and strategy.
- Excellent writing and communication skills and the ability to apply those skills in communicating complex ideas and content succinctly, articulating recommendations for specific courses of action, selling partnership opportunities, and instilling confidence in financial partners.
- Experience and comfort with sales and proven track record for achieving sales goals as demonstrated by ability to engage grantors independently and through leadership of teams to secure funds and increase revenues.
- Ability to demonstrate subject-matter expertise and ownership by taking initiative, consulting with relevant parties, formulating independent recommendations, and leading implementation efforts.
- Strong research skills combined with intellectual curiosity to apply to the identification of diverse funding opportunities that are aligned with Craft3’s and prospective grantors’ interests.
- Excellent prioritization and organization skills and effective time management, including balancing multiple work assignments concurrently.
- Strategic project management skills combining a keen attention to detail with the judgment to achieving goals in a timely and cost-effective manner.
- Self-motivated, focused and adaptable problem-solver with an ability to succeed in a semi-autonomous, fast-paced environment where frequent change and unexpected events can occur.
- Strong work ethic, a high level of integrity, and a commitment to organizational and personal success.
- Excellent customer service, collaboration, and relationship management skills, including the demonstrated ability to steward relationships and collaborate with internal (leadership and staff) and external partners.
- Ability to successfully work with colleagues located in both local and regional (remote) offices.
- Ability to develop new procedures to meet identified needs and/or to adjust to changes in procedures as requested.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite, Adobe Professional, file share systems, SharePoint, Contact Relationship Management (CRM) systems.
Compensation and Benefits
Craft3 offers a competitive annual salary of $93,500 to $115,000 (DOE) plus benefits: medical, dental, vision, Life/AD&D, LTD/STD insurance, paid sick and vacation leave, volunteer time off, professional development, wellness program, transportation, remote flexible schedule within Oregon or Washington, and 403B Retirement savings plan with employer match. For more information about Craft3 and our Benefits visit our website at: https://www.craft3.org/about/careers
How to Apply
Applicants should include:
- Cover Letter describing your skills, experience, and achievements relevant to the Grants Manager position
If invited for a second round of interviews, candidates will be required to provide:
- Professional Writing Sample: A grant or other fundraising proposal written in the last five (5) years where you were the primary author. The sample should be no more than ten (10) pages, in PDF format. Redactions are acceptable if there are confidentiality concerns.
Position is Open Until Filled. First review of applications will begin the in May 2023 and continue until the position is filled.
Craft3 is an equal opportunity employer; women and minorities are encouraged to apply.